1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Direct X 10 will be Vista only

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, Jun 15, 2006.

1. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Direct X 10 won't find its way to Windows XP, so anyone who plans to buy Direct X 10 hardware and plans to use its full potential will have to buy Vista as well.

The current driver model on the Windows XP is the limitation. One of the key points of Direct X 10 is to be the ability to have more independent objects and the current driver model on Windows XP simply won't be able to deal with it.

Direct X 10 hardware will of course run Direct X 9 games and it is also supposed to do so fast.

Microsoft, ATI, Nvidia and the other creators of the Direct X 10 specification wanted to make sure that you will be offered the toppest-notch gaming experience.

Personally, I think we are being forced to upgrade to Vista.

Source: The Inq
  2. Bob The Fish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Leave it to MS to force us to get vista just to get DX10.
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Sounds more like a nudge than a push. They probably do have a legitimate component upgrade problem in XP, but who's to say for sure. Good to hear that DX10 hardware will be compliant with DX9!
  4. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    anyone not see this one comming?
  5. warup89

Thanks Received:
    man so , what im gonna have to spend video card =400 + vista= 400 =800$ .....erm.
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I highly doubt vista will be $400, I believe Microsoft said they were going to try and get the Home version out for around the same price as MCE goes for now...so a little over $100.

I personally am glad that we are sort of being pushed into Vista, though I know I will be in the minority on that point.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. warup89

Thanks Received:
    is the home version enough to play games? and do you think there'll be lil performance between home and premium?
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Unless they hobble/limit SMP, hyperthreading or something else stupid, it's very doubful there will be a performance difference. Mostly administrative controls and features will be the difference.

Example: XP Pro has remote desktop, while XP Home doesn't. They both play games at the same speed.

Lets hope.
  9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:

I believe even the very basic one "designed for third world countries" will be enough to play games. I highly doubt they will be any different performance wise, they'll just have less features to play around with.
  10. DaJMasta

Thanks Received:
    I actually think that version won't be shipping with Aero, and thus, maybe not even DX10 (it won't be for sale anywheres around the US though).

I hope they don't cripple performance... but these new 'standards' are getting rediculious. We're going to need a DX10 graphics card ($$$) with HDMI out ($), an HD-DVD or BluRay drive ($$), a new motherboard for a new socket ($$), Vista ($$), and an HDTV capable widescreen LCD ($$$) if we want to watch plain old movies in HD.

Then there's display port, and the new HDMI standard, bonus 'anti-pirating' technologies forcing not only new media but new hardware and reduced freedom... HTPCs will be extremely expensive.....

I hope something gives or competition forces the prices of all this down, I'm not ready to shell out thousands of dollars and a hundred in energy bills for a basic HTPC.
  11. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know what, one thing with Vista that I like is the fact a hell of a lot of people are gonna be handed a rather large cup of coffee so they can actually smell the fact that PC's have evolved too a massive extent so they need to upgrade their hardware cos the crap they are running and expecting to do far more than it is capable of will finally upgrade.

I'm sick of people whining about their system performance in the modern world/net when they have PC's that are so old and out of date they need adult Pampers (Read Diapers if you are Americanadian).

1GB of RAM is nothing now a days when you think about it and 15GB of HDD Space is miserly when you consider the costs of a HDD that could accomodate the OS and leave plenty of room for personal use storage wise. Especially when these people expect a perfect OS that does so much.

So long as Vista (Once patched and updated of course cos come one it's Micro$haft) does what it says on the tin and delivers half of what it promises I don't give a shit, cos my system is already above and beyond Vista ready, those who need to play catch up to run it have been skimping on their systems.

We've had XP for years so if they have not treated themselves too decent parts in that time it's their own tough luck. They didn't have to spend a fortune on their systems, but as most people treat their systems far worse than a car (As in no upgrades or decent servicing at all for years) they only have themselves too blame when they have to upgrade the shit out of their puter to make it work in a new Millennium.
  12. warup89

Thanks Received:
    just like we were pushed to XP and 2k.
  13. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok well u soposivly "need" a duel core proscessor for vista, then a grfx card, i will need at least $1250 to go to vista, for a sata 3.0 hd, new mobo = new ram, and a duel core, and vga

processor- 400ish
    grfx card- 400sh
    mobo- 150sih
    ram-200ish
    hd-100ish
  14. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    or i might just get a opti 165 and some ddr500 ram, and use that for a while, just get a new hd and grfx card, wait for am4 or sumthin
  15. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Is anyone up for betting how long it takes for the first windows vista virus to take root? I bet 15 minutes flat.
  16. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i bet within the first 45 because people probly found a few holes in the beta versions so they have a few to send out right when its released... and the first 30 minutes is the time it takes for people to install.
  17. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I think some people need to look at the requirements for vista again.

The minimum you will need to run it is:
    800MHz Processor(So a PIII will do just fine, you don't need a dual core at all)
    512MB of RAM
    15GB Hard Drive
    DX9 Video Card

The recommended is at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.(Again a PIII fits this, and again you don't need a dual core)
    1 GB of system memory.
    A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero.
    128 MB of graphics memory.
    40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
    DVD-ROM Drive3.
    Audio output capability.
    Internet access capability.
  18. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^True, but there are some advantages I guess...
  19. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont know about you guys but i aint paying for vista. period. ill get it my own way.
  20. FLY3R New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ditto!
  21. warup89

Thanks Received:
    im getting it cause getting updatyes is gonna be harder.

IM GETTING IF IS not more than 200 bucks.
  22. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

This isnt a nudge or a push. Its a friggin man-handling into being forced to upgrade.

Glad I dumped microsoft. Now we wont even be able to play games without upgrading to vista.

Yay!
    OGL ftw.
  23. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Being around so many windows crap computers, I really know how that feels--

But most of it is because of microsoft. They add features that constantly bog down the OS to the point, the computers really are SLOW!

Apple has verymuch so taken a different approach- OS X Tiger will run on a 300mhz G3 imac with 128mb ram. Granted windows xp will run on a Piece of crap too, tiger Vs windows xp in terms of performance on those computers is just no contest. They are both slow, but the mac doesnt get slower, the windows one will bite the dust rapidly once you install something.

This is verymuch needed, but as always, if people dont want to upgrade, they wont.

I'm working now helping shift a factory from windows 98 boxes to new dell windows xp machines. About 1000. They prettymuch just skipped 2k/me, and probably will skip the first iteration of vista aswell.

Miscrosoft pushes these upgrades, and they make a ton. But leave many users in the dust with older technology (use 98 recently? sucks dont it?)....

Trade offs of the marketing strategy I guess...

Vista as it is now, is a pig. even on a pretty fast computer. Hate to see a low end one.
  24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Tiger on a 300MHz G3 w/ 128MB RAM? I don't think so, that doesn't even meet the minimum requirements, so you would be lucky if the installer for the OS did just error out. Then once you got in it it would be unbearibly slow, hell it is unbearibly slow on machines that actually meet the minimum specs.

On the other hand a 300Mhz PIII w/128MB RAM is also on the edge of crap performance with XP too, but I would take that over the OSX machine.

Yes, a lot of people will probably skip vista, because there are a lot of people that don't need the new things vista is bringing. However, there is a lot of people that will have to upgrade to vista because they need/want the new things vista is bringing. That is pretty much how it is with every OS. Hell there were still people using OS 9 Macs where I used to work. Why? Because OS X didn't offer anything they wanted.
  25. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    This is the kind of stupid move that OpenGL needed to get backon the map regarding games for PC's, lets hope people boycott DX10 and get back onto OpenGL