1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do I have a bad sector?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by LAN_deRf_HA, Jun 30, 2010.

1. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I just downloaded a movie into my downloads folder, it plays fine, but I can't move it, delete it or even view properties. Safe mode and file shredder don't work. I can make a copy of the file, but now I can't get rid of that copy. I copied a similar file into my downloads folder and now it displays the same issues. What's weird is I can download pictures to that folder and move them, but while in the folder 1 out of 5 won't display a thumbnail, but if I drag them to the desktop they suddenly display the thumbnail. Since all of the movie files are playable it really does seem like they're just being just locked up in some weird way.... I'd of thought a bad sector would make them corrupted, but since they play it suggests they can be read fine. I don't get why nothing else can be done with them.

Edit* I've done sector scans and it says no errors...
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    must be some malware in that file.
  3. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Run a scan with MS Security Essentials. Sounds virus related.
  4. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    its definitely virus... dat to an embedded one.
  5. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    go into safe mode and delete it from the command line.
  6. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    goto safe mode, start task manager and stop any process you find fishy.

also u may want to run msconfig and check the startup tab.
  7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I did a full scan with malwarebytes (never using mse after it suddenly decided to take it upon itself to download windows 7 updates despite me disabling them), sophos anti-rootkit, and spybot. Turned up nothing. If it's a virus why does any movie of large size have the same problems when placed into that folder?
  8. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Have you run CrystalDiskInfo yet?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    No I did HD tune to see info and do an error scan. I'm trying a few different antivirus stuff now to see if anything pops up.
  10. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Try running CrystalDiskInfo, I've heard some people having an issue that HD tune missed.
    LAN_deRf_HA says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Avast found nothing, so did crystaldiskinfo. I even took off my overclock to be sure. I have no idea what is causing this one folder to have issues. I figure it’s either something too new to be detected or some weird drive issue that has no health monitoring associated with it, or some bizarre os corruption problem. Just wish I knew which so I don’t waste my time reinstalling on a failing drive. This is where I got the file if anyone wants to check it out, but I figure I’d of seen comments about it if others were having the same issue… plus it happened to another video I copied into the folder. Seems the fact that pictures survive being saved to there might imply the larger the file the more likely it is to be a problem.

http://www.anime-access.com/anime/B/Bleach_(TV)/episode/277

Bleach 277 Horrible Subs 720p, problem is I think they want you to sign up to download.
  12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It's not a bad sector and it's not malware. NTFS sometimes gets its knickers in a twist and I last saw this very same problem several years ago on XP. The install was heading for a wipe anyway, so I sidestepped it at the time, rather than fixed it.

There's a utility that you can use to delete files when Windows starts, to get round file locking issues. If I remember correctly, it called Tracks Eraser and is a free utility. There's a paid for Pro version with more features, too.
    LAN_deRf_HA says thanks.
  13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:

thats not true... well not completely atleast.
    sometimes only when the data being written to the disk gets interrupted(for eg. u r copying something to ur USB ext HDD and suddenly a call comes) the signals get interrupted and results in a $%^ in the NTFS file system, the only way to remove this is by formatting.
    LAN_deRf_HA says thanks.
  14. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    have you changed the view property ?
    as i sometimes have this problem with mp4 files, add another movie file or two (preferably something you can delete) then highlight one of them (remembering to change the view property to icons) then quicky highlight the film you want to delete, click delete then yes and it should go, (i say quickly because if you aren't it'll just throw the files thumbnail up in the corner) sometimes i've had to come out of the folder for it to delete properly

i'd also say go into the registry and delete the folder and anything else, but it's very risky if your not 100% sure on what your doing

also try and find the files crc is, and check it if you can, as that can show you if anythings been added ;)
    LAN_deRf_HA says thanks.
  15. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I did try messing with the view properties, didn't work. Suppose I should also add that at the top of the folder it takes forever to finish discovering it, actually it never finishes... and if I mess with the files too much, like try to delete them all the shortcut on the left side disappear and it shows the little magnifier icon like it's searching for them, and explorer crashes and restarts.
  16. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like you need to reformat. Unless someone has a definitive solution for this one, reformatting and starting over can be the quickest, most reliable and least stressful solution.

I'd like to know what causes this myself. It really sounds like the master file table has become corrupted and the journal feature is unable to fix it.

Be sure to back up all your data first!
  17. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    there's a force flag (aptly named '/f') for the del command. it should be able to remove anything, even if it's set to read only.

have you tried this yet?
  18. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  19. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    There's not much point in trying to remove the file now as anything put in the folder has an issue. As for trying to figure out how the file system could have gotten messed up, the first time I ran into a problem was right after I watched it I tried to change the file name while it was trying to discover the folder, but the slow file discovery tells me the issue happened the instant it was downloaded. Only other thing I can think of is that folder is used more than any other on the system, 100 new files a day average before being dragged out of there. If a folder can be associated with a certain part of the drive maybe more use increases the slim chance of a file system mess up.
  20. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I would back up your files and reformat. Hopefully whatever you have going on doesn't follow your backup.
  21. =TWP=WOLF

=TWP=WOLF

Thanks Received:
    Thats not so uncommon that Windows locks files and folders sometime.

Try and see if EMCO UnLock IT & MoveOnBoot can be of any use for you.

EMCO UnLock IT
    http://www.emco.is/products/unlock-it/features.php

EMCO MoveOnBoot
    http://www.emco.is/products/move-on-boot/features.php

If not, try Tizer UnLocker.
    http://www.tizersecure.com/about_tizer_unlocker_hidden_files.php

Good luck mate.

WOLF.
  22. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    try to change the extensions of the files to something else that doesnt exist.
    that way it wont be a "movie" clip any more and may get deleted. this thing even works on viruses. change a virus in a pendrive(explorer mode) to a .bmp using winrar. the viruses show up in winrar.