• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you care about SSD wear?

Do you care about SSD wear?

• I'm constantly checking amount of written data

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I'm checking it just occasionally

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I'm just monitoring its overall health with SMART

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • I don't care about anything, i'm just using it

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters
System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
So solid state drives wear? But theres no moving parts

Everything wears out. Flash memory can only be written to so many times before it starts to degrade. Ideally that number is so high that it's beyond magnetic storage, but it will eventually wear out in several year's time depending on usage. The problem with SSDs failing right now isn't wear it's stability.

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
I guess that also means you don't bother with backups and your PC has non-essential and replaceable data and applications. Yes, this is an OK scenario for many home users but absolutely not acceptable for business or critical files. You can't just say, let it fail, and replace under warranty, if your PC contains important data or files that could be lost.

It concerns me that manufacturers might be developing and improving SSD technology to meet "consumer speed but non essential data" scenarios rather than "fast with integrity" scenario that is what I want. We will not know for a few years... but I bet this forum will start getting the war-stories of SSD integrity in a couple years time!

BACKUP ESSENTIAL FILES. Live recklessly in the fast lane once you have backed up! :pimp:

You just assumed a lot of shit man. If you knew who I was, you would know my primary business is running two major data centers. Not only do I backup my ssd raid onto my other home raid on a high end adaptec card, but I dump backups to a vps storage cloud at my office as well. You just made up that silly scenario without even asking me. I guess you will learn from that. Thanks for spouting out a bunch of common sense to someone who already practices what you're preaching on a higher level than yourself. :pimp:

Everything wears out. Flash memory can only be written to so many times before it starts to degrade. Ideally that number is so high that it's beyond magnetic storage, but it will eventually wear out in several year's time depending on usage. The problem with SSDs failing right now isn't wear it's stability.

Well, RAM will never wear out even if you write 200TB per day through it. Traditional HDD's, no limits as well.