1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does anyone see competition to the R9 290x or 780ti (Both after mkt versions not stock) in the NEAR

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sebastian869, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    Basically started seeing stuff for the "880" and ATI though it dosent seem to look as ready and was wondering if there is any credence to these posts? (If it does come out unless you go with water block from the start you'll have to wait for after mkt version of the GPU just as with the r9 290x or 780ti but it still should cut costs off current hardware). The time frame makes some sense in that a Christmas release is best and "IF" they release then what would that do to the 290x/780ti prices. Do you think I should ignore it and make the purchase as its all not for sure yet(Except for the x99 roswell-E), or should I wait, really appreciate your view?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...ured-specs-of-geforce-gtx-880gm104-published/
    http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...are=geforce-gtx-660-ti-sli-vs-geforce-gtx-880

p.s. was going to go with the z97 chipset and now the x99 coming out do you think that should chance anything (I plan to buy one GPU now and another after some time after prices drop and would love to have the ability to run at least 2 or 3 cards all at x16 where with the 1150 its not possible. I have read that it docent makes a big performance difference to go x16/x8 but will haswell-e (you can run x16/x16) be way better than the haswell and offer a better product to wait for, I put in lots of homework and now im lost?

Does it make sense and wait till the new Haswell-E x99 mother boards and new i7 5960x(not i7-4790k) will be available and will they be a lot better than old haswell or z97 and the new GPUS a lot better than the r9 290x or 780ti?

THANKS

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    GTX 880 comes out next month sounds like...It will be better based on just the normality of a new GPU release but depends if you really want to wait. Nothing will burn up either of the cards as it is even at 1440p resolution so I would not worry to much.

3. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    yeah on the 1080 i think it wownt matter on the 4/8k do you really buy into it? Wheres the line where ones eye cant discernt the increased resolution. BTW thanks for all the help but im placing orders today or go mental prob get theMAXIMUS VII HERO pci/e 3.0 x2? $205/i7 4790k and asus GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5. Can u plz help on mem speed do i really need more than 8g (not video editor just need faster interned to be honest, fast as in ping) last time in incread to 12gb in did not see any difference. Thanks

4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Sebastian, how many "what should I buy?" threads can you actually think up? There is a simple rule, it is: buy the best you can for your budget. As far as the future, as soon as you buy a tech product you can expect it to be bettered the next year, or sooner if you're unlucky.
    Read reviews and but what you want. Seriously, you need to stop asking what to buy, what to buy, what to buy. I'm on holiday in Cyprus and it's just silly hearing you ask all the time.
    I know I sound like I'm being a dick but YOU need to decide what you want. Asking opinions does not get you answers. Reading reviews and basing your purchase on facts will.
    I apologise for my 'dickishness' but TPU gets too many 'what should I buy threads' and its tiring seeing the same shit all the time.
    Buy it, build it, enjoy it.

5. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    i hear u im wasting half my day ready the answers and going in circles because as soon as i pick hardware some review pops it for me

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Then you probably should stop asking. Like most decisions in life you choose something, stick with it and if any problems arise you deal with it at that time. Believe me, with the amount of thought you're pouring into this with the many threads you have posted, I feel you should be pretty confident in whatever you choose will be the right choice. Good luck!

Jstn7477 says thanks.
  7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Actually it does, he just ignores them. There will be like a dozen out of 16 people steering him toward the 290, then he'll make threads asking what is the best model of 290x to get. The redundancy due to sheer disregard is off the charts with this guy.
    Normally it might, but he takes it to extremes that gleaning such info cannot satiate.

The bottom line is, don't expect ANY purchase in the quickly changing tech industry to 100% satisfy you within 3 yrs of use. Expect it to be the best you can do at the time, and that's best case scenario. Even then, there are luck of the draw factors like ASIC being high or low that you just have to deal with.

Those are big reasons I looked for price drops on a high end popular model that came with a good game bundle. That way even if it's a lemon OCer, at least you got good value on the stock product. If you gamble all your purchase decision on high performance expectations, you can easily set yourself up for disappointment, esp as picky as you are being.

There are guys with 290x and 780 Ti cards that are bitching about performance in some games, and it's usually more to do with drivers or poor game or patch coding. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but often times the most picky consumers are better off going the bang for buck route vs trying to grasp for the golden ring, because rarely if ever do you achieve nirvana when it comes to PC components, and even then it's short lived.

The phrase "it's only money" comes to mind. You spend it., it's gone, and you get more. It's not like spending those dollars is parting permanently with your best friend.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  8. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    correct but every now and then i do strike gold and its not about bang for the buck with 290x or 780ti its how quickly will it fall

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I think this one needs closing...

10. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Get a 4790K, Z97 board and an R9 290 or GTX 780 and be done. You may as well stick with whatever device you're using to post on TPU with if you refuse to look at anything besides the future, because always waiting for the future will get you nowhere if you refuse to do something now.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    Just get something that suits your needs and budgets now and not worry too much about 'future proofing', if you're that unsure whether to wait or not. Otherwise just wait and avoid setting thread bait. Remember anything you buy will be 'outdated' in 6 months time anyway... or perhaps even before you leave the store... :laugh:

gill_bates_4000.PNG

12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Probably not as quickly as your account if you keep this up. :rolleyes:

The intrepid arrogance is scything.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  13. 64K

Thanks Received:
    Do you need a Haswell E? It's hard to know where you're coming from. Going by your system specs "OLD POS" I would say that an i5 Haswell would be a major improvement over what you have now. What is your monitor situation. Are you looking at multiple monitors or possibly 4K? If you want to go green then wait a few weeks until the GTX 880 comes out and at what price. If it outperforms the GTX 780Ti then Nvidia will probably EOL the 780Ti.

14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    erocker is right, Its like building an engine. If you do not take your time and read the instructions carefully then you will most likely be pulling it back out cause of a error that could have been avoided.

Wait for the reviews on what you are wanting and compare it to the competition.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    trying to future prof as best i can, though in reality it will just mean buying another GPU when the price drops and i got a feeling th 780ti wownt go below 200 any time soon

I'm not trying to Commit heresy nor attack or play with anyones intellect. I'm merely asking question re hardware as to your pertinent point of double posts its by accident, I'm not doing myself any favors as I select instant email notification and only trash my mail box. Except for bang for the buck there are no easy answers. Thus, I needed to ask 2-3 questions pertaining to motherboards/chipset, I wish 1150 had more lanes and then it would be an easier decision.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  16. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    It is completely irrelevant for vast majority of systems and also for the one you haven't build yet.
    You just need to avoid doing a stupid thing: do not buy 780 Ti before a price cut (when GTX 880 comes out).
    ... but that one is obvious.

17. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Jesus... you started this thread at this forum too? LOL!

This guy is ALL OVER THE MAP just like this at another site!

"The redundancy due to sheer disregard is off the charts with this guy" - Exactly.... this is his M.O and now he is doing it here...

"Sebastian, how many "what should I buy?" threads can you actually think up?" - Well, he is at least two forums deep with several threads at each now!!!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  18. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    An odd thing to say/even bring up. Almost an admission of guilt...

19. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry folks but I have lost count and the will to live, before I shut the PC down last night I was looking in this thread, then I woke up this morning and the first thing that entered my mind was that these "speculative whats gonna be better and when is anybodys guess until facts are available" countless countless threads, many of them by the same one or two members must be burnt and burnt fast. It took a shower and a shave followed by a peek at the tasty woman (Charlotte) on "Good Morning Britain" before I had recovered :D

So for those of you (including the Op) that are enjoying participating in this thread, I thank you and can only apologise for my unreasonable behaviour BECAUSE THIS THREAD IS TOAST! for those of you that werent...... why oh why do you come to encourage the pain and suffering it causes me :peace:

OneMoar and eidairaman1 say thanks.