• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Driver/win98SE woes

System Name QUACK
Processor Intel i7 2600K (3.4 GHz, 8 threads)
Motherboard Asus P67P8-V3
Cooling Xigmatek Balder 120mm (4x120,1x140mm case)
Memory Patriot 2 Viper Sector 5, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 4GB
Storage 1x Samsung EVO 850 (500GB) SSD, 1x Fujitsu 256GB SSD
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2311h 23" (so sexy)
Case CoolerMaster Gladiator RC-600
Audio Device(s) Onboard 5.1
Power Supply Antec 850w with yellow racing stripes
Software Windows 7 HP 64 bit
I've installed Windows 98 SE onto my laptop, because I'm now using it as a portable typewriter and required something that boots and runs fast.
Problem is, Windows 98 got pissed off during the installation, so it didn't install some of the drivers (it said it couldn't find them. They were on the disk. The disk was in the drive. :banghead:).
Does anyone know where I can get these files, without paying?
vredir.vxd
dfs.vxd
vnetbios.vxd
ndiswan.vxd
configmg.vxd
ndis.vxd
ntkern.vxd
msnp32.dll
rasapi32.dll

Help will be greatly appreciated! :respect:

Win98SE isn't what I'd call a good OS for typewriting for various reasons. Why not install XP and then cut the premiums out of it instead so you don't have driver issues? I mean 98 IS a decade old, people don't write drivers for 98 anymore, they stopped that when XP was released.

You can easily cut mem usage of XP down to like 140MB at idle btw, even lower if u know the tricks.

System Name QUACK
I know what XP is capable of, but I also want to play DOS games like Doom and Commander Keen, which isn't possible on XP (and yes, I have tried DOSBox. It doesn't work properly.)

Some good news: I've found the files I need off of the installation disk (thank god for Vista's search features), but I don't know where to put them. Do they go in the System folder?

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Why don't you make a dual boot with so when you want to play games you can boot up in 98 and when you want to work/type you can boot up in XP? Half and half.

System Name QUACK
I'm going to try reinstalling it, and finding the files manually (I found out that Windows 98 can find the files if you direct it to the right CAB file :) ).

UPDATE:
The installation worked, but I can't get it to connect to the internet: I have broadband. Help!

Last edited:

GeoNOregon

Where are you at with this? I can probably help you.... some of those missing files had to do with networking. You may or may not have gotten things installed.

One of the 'features' of W9x management was rebooting.

I decided one night, 15 or so years ago, that somehow Bill Gates must have figured out a way to make money from people rebooting their computers. So to max his revenue stream, M$ built into W9x a 'feature' where the OS maxed out the possible reasons and situations necessitating a re-boot. I further speculated rebooting would become a fixture in our life. My ten year old daughter heard me, but I didn't notice she did. A week or so later, I picked her up somewhere and my van started, then died. It had been acting up & I knew that if I waited 4-5 minutes, it'd start. I waited, it started.

As I pulled away from the curb, she said, "Like you said, Dad, maybe a lot of things are going to start needing to be re-booted." I about crashed the car I was laughing so hard.

Getting your broadband working means you need to get networking working and w(x is particularly fond of re-boots when it comes to networking.

I disagree with the others re: not using W98. If you install the last version, keep the crap off of it. You can use it for word processing and play some games. If ALL of the games you want to play are DOS, then go back to the last version of W95, I think it was 'C' version, definitely an OEM only version. That was the last version of W9x that allowed you to make a dual boot of DOS and W9x. (With W98 M$ that ability was killed, don't try it - kills the boot sector) Do that and you can run a pure DOS box for your games - I still keep a PII DOS box around to play Doom, etc on, plus the interactive golf game... I've got one of the club's with the sensor, so you swing and the ball goes... great with the new monster monitors.

I've got extra copies of W9x and DOS kicking around I'd give/trade you if you're interested.