1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Drone's dusty shelf

Discussion in 'Games' started by Drone, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna post screencaps and thoughts of my fave FPS games (late 90s early 00s era). Mostly legendary and also overlooked/underrated games. My final list is not defined yet.
    Preliminary list: Quake, Wolfenstein, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever, XIII, Serious Sam, Daikatana, Will Rock, Timesplitters, Perfect Dark and so on. All games are from my collection. Times when steam, drm, dlc, 16:9, directx11, microsoft live and all that crap had no meaning.

[​IMG]

My first post I dedicate to Cate Archer *mwah* - my favorite character from my favorite game The Operative: No One Lives Forever. The best game I've ever played. 40 levels of amazing gameplay took a lot of time to complete. Lots of fun, exploration, humor, stealth, action and it has a great plot. Level design is great, good AI for that time, lots of locations, nice vehicles, gadgets and so on. This game got everything. The replay value is highest.

It was NOLF (PS2 version) 10th anniversary recently (April 18, 2002). So I've decided to play that version. Because it has no bugs, has 3 flashback exclusive levels, new gadgets and new music. Took me 2 weeks to complete! I played on Superspy - highest possible difficulty level. I admit I didn't get all the awards, I guess I'll replay it again lol.
    Ok enough talking, here are random screenshots I took:

Main menu and controls:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morocco:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Berlin:

[​IMG]

Plane:

[​IMG]

Low Earth Orbit:

[​IMG]

Hamburg:

[​IMG]

Heh let's pick some locks!

[​IMG]

Trouble in the tropics

[​IMG]

Aaargh divers!

[​IMG]

This level requires a lot of stealth. I failed it countless times lol:

[​IMG]

Top of the crane:

[​IMG]

Snowmobile. I love all snowy Alpine levels.

[​IMG]

The third flashback level in haunted castle

[​IMG]

The lair is not far:

[​IMG]

Amazing game. Basically, if you don't like No One Lives Forever, you suck.

I'll give it break. Later I'll be playing Deus Ex and maybe also post more NOLF screens.
  2. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Looks exactly like MW2.

I like NOLF. Good game.
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

I dunno, the 'blockyness' reminds me much of earlier games like goldeneye on N64,

though the texturing and the graphics look almost like Doom or one of the Quake games when you run it on software mode
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    You're missing Counter-Strike!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    we used to dm NOLF here on the lan..it was great...setting the bear traps and banana peels was always good for a laugh
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Is it just me or that NOLF looks a bit blurry? I remember it to have a bit sharper textures than that.
  7. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    It's the playstation version.
  8. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    If your doing deux ex i would highly recommend trying a few 3dfx glide wrappers to use with the game. The Directx rendering was lack lustre in comparison.

Remember to try and get the kill words of the other operatives!
  9. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Dont we have a massive screenshot thread already?
  10. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    There was a Deus Ex mod project where they were porting DX10 to the game, might be worth checking out. Also, they added widescreen support and eyefinity.
  11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Another two NOLF screens:

UNITY office

[​IMG]

Hotel in Morocco

[​IMG]

You're absolutely right. I remember how I got glide to work and it looked really good. While D3D10 looked horrible because textures gone missing.

However now I want to give a shot to PS2 version because it has a few interesting differences. You no longer need to use nano-key ring. All found nanokeys now automatically unlock doors when you press Use button on them. I think this is really nice feature. It's also nice that in PS2 version you don't have to enter codes in code panels manually. Every time you acquire a code you just press use button on code panel or on pc and it unlocks. PS2 Deus Ex no longer has a grid inventory so now you can carry as many objects as you want. The only limitation you can carry only 4 weapons. This looks better than inventory from pc version. Plus ps2 version doesn't have AI glitches and models now have mo-cap animations.

[​IMG]

Yes PS2 version looks blurry after all it's 640x480 and edges are jugged because it has no AA but I don't really care. I need a good gameplay and it delivers that.