• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DVd decoder?

System Name Armor+_9fan_warrior
Processor q6600@3.40ghz
Motherboard P5-E(X38)
Cooling OCZ Vendetta 2
Memory Corsair Dominator 2X2gb 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1V
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon 4870
Storage 750GB SATA 2 & WD passport 250gbs :)
Display(s) hp 17" LCD
Case Thermal Armor + Silver aluminium
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX-II
Power Supply Corsair HX-620
Software Vista Sp1 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMArk06: 15418
hello all,

i am thinking of reformatting the Hard Drive on my old pre-build Hp computer. I have one major question tho.. DVD decoder. Last time my uncle reformatted my old laptop, i wasn't able to play dvd movies on it anymore and the reason i'm reformatting the pc is so that it goes faster(i'm selling it) and it won't look too good if i say that the dvd drive can't play movies. To make matters worse, the computer is a pre-built so i received a limited ampunt of software when i got it. However, with my new computer's DVD drive, i received a copy of Nero (OEM). If i install that on the PC will the dvd decoder be installed and therefore be able to play dvd movie's? Also i have a cyberlink program which came with my new P5-e's mo-bo. Also, anything else i should be aware of when reformatting the hard-drive(one good thing about the pre-built PC is that all the drivers are found in one place).

thank you

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm should let you play DVDs through Windows Media Player.

If the Cyberlink program that came with your motherboards is Cyberlink PowerDVD then that will work, but they make other software so unless you specify what program they actually gave you I can't give you any more information than that.