1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Eeek! - No post!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Wozzer, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

I sent my motherboard back on Tuesday due to it not working. (Ebuyer)

My step-dad built the computer (He's done it before) and he couldn't get the thing to run. (nothing appeared on the screen).

So he did a few tests and found out that the motherboard didnt POST and therefore - told me to send it back to Ebuyer. Sure enough - Ebuyer could'nt find a fault and are sending it back to me.

What else could be the problem. Below are my specs and I'm pretty sure my BIOS needs updating. BUT - How am I meant to update my BIOS when nothing shows on the screen in the first place. (Yes - I've tried clearing CMOS and i've tried a diffrent GPU). (I know, i'll try another CPU)

Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Hyperx Memory Non-ECC Cl5(5-5-5-15) Unbuffered 119223 Invoiced Track £25.35 £25.35
    1 x MSI P43 Neo-F iP43 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard 148024 Invoiced Track £45.02 £45.02
    1 x PowerColor HD 4850 Play Edition 512MB GDDR3 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card 150390 Invoiced Track £99.99 £99.99
    1 x Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM 130826 Invoiced Track £37.98 £37.98
    1 x OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU - 1x PCI-E 6/8pin, 2x SATA 12cm Fan 135159 Invoiced Track £36.77 £36.77
    1 x Intel E7300 2.6GHz - £75 (Off Ebay, Brand new).

I've also tried with just one stick of RAM. No luck :(

Thanks guys,

Wasley

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    aaargh! eeep! banjo kazooee!

boot the system on a test bench (not in a case) with minimal hardware. Thats one CPU, one stick of ram, one video card (or onboard, if you have it)

There is 20 billion things that can cause a system not to post, your job right now is to narrow it down as much as possible. That'll be a lot easier if you had spare ram/CPU/video card, so try em if you have em.

3. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    subscribed

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Apart from that being a pointless post, why? It's just your average non-posting system thread?

If you boot the machine without any RAM, does it beep? (make sure there is a speaker connected or onboard of course :))

5. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    I havent tried booting with no RAM. (No speakers connected).

Unfortunatly, I havent got any spare parts :(

6. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Oh, we continue here :D
    Still waiting on that :p

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    My guess would be that the BIOS needs flashing to support the CPU. The problem is, that you need an supported CPU to do it, otherwise the board will just sit there and not do anything because it doesn't know what to do with the CPU. See if you can pull a socket 775 CPU out of an older machine just to test and update the BIOS if needed.

According to MSI, support for the E7300 wasn't added until BIOS 1.3, which was only released in July, so it is possible that the motherboard you recieved still has an earlier BIOS on it.

Edit: Now that I did some proper research and looked at the correct motherboard, your motherboard doesn't actually support the E7300 until BIOS version 1.5, which was released in August, so it is highly likely that the BIOS is the problem. Get another 775 CPU, and flash it, though I would think ebuyer would do that automatically before shiping it back to you if their support department was worth anything.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    He's got one, see http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=75755

9. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Wasley, I just read another interesting problem concerning a badly grounded PSU showing the exact same symptoms. You could try another PSU (if you have one) or try making 100% sure that your PSU's casing is touching your case's casing. Wild guess though.

Wozzer says thanks.
  10. mudogramx

mudogramx New Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be something as simple as your motherboard shorting out. I had to yank the spacers in my lanbox and replace them because no matter what I did my system would not boot with them installed. Installed the system, no boot, pulled the board from the case and it ran. It almost drove me crazy. Try booting the board on top of the piece of anti-static plastic that came with it with all of the parts installed. Just be sure its in a cleanish area. This could rule out your case causing the problem.

Wozzer says thanks.
  11. kyle2020 Guest

the explanation by newtekie sounds your most viable explanation - try and buy a cheapo P4 off ebay or something, drop it in and flash that bios!

12. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    DON'T run on top off antistatic bags! EVER!
    These bags are conductive sometimes:shadedshu

13. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    it would help immensely if you told us how many times it beeped, and long/short also.

14. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    I'm taking it to my Dads this weekend. Hopefully, we can sort the problem out.

He's told me that he has a POST card here which can help to diagnose any POST problems.

Perhaps that might help - If not, i'm sure we can figure something out.

I would of tried another CPU already, but I havent been able to get my hands on one - However, if the PC doesnt want to boot over this weekend - I MIGHT have one lined up :) E6850 (I think)

15. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    No beeps my friend. I would of known the problem otherwise :laugh:

16. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    This is the same problem I have with my P5K - no beeps or POST.
    I still have the board here too. I can't be of much help, but I'll subscribe to the thread, see if you get it fixed.

EDIT: Make sure it's the CPU. I just checked my compatibility again. I'm using a later version of the CPU than was supported on default BIOS.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    Wozzer and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  17. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys,

Good news. The PC is up and running and everythings going smoothly.

We couldn't figure out what I did wrong, however - the RAM was in the wrong slots. Having said that, even if it was - surely there would of been something on the screen ?!

Any how - we've stripped the PC bare and re-built it. We've just finished installing all the Windows updates along with some software (AVG, Steam, HL2, Etc)

Wheyy - 3 weeks of waiting and were finally away.

The top fan of the case isnt working due to it not being plugged in. I need to buy an extention cable....

I'd like to thank the people who have helped me. I would name some, But I dont want to leave people out. So beers all around for everyone.

:toast::toast:

18. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well done mate. glad you got there in the end. does take a while sometimes especially with a first build, but does get a lot easier in future (sometimes anyway lol)

Wozzer says thanks.
  19. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Mullered. You've been a great help along with other people....

I'm glad I got it working as well !!

20. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Glad you got it worked out, I hate it when it doesn't work at first, then you start over from scratch doing everything the same, and it works. Bugs the hell out of me not knowing what exactly was the problem.

Oh well, at least it is working now. Enjoy the new build.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  21. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    I will do indeed. But I know where your coming from - It wouldnt be to bad if I knew what I did wrong. (Learn from my mistakes)

22. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Lol, gratz :D Totally different from what we thought...

23. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    glad to hear its working ok.

im considering buying that board myself for a friends upgrade :)

24. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    Its a good board, but Im not expert to reccomened it. If you need to know anything (sizes, anything) - Give us a PM and i'll try and help

:toast:

xubidoo says thanks.
  25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    congratulations on getting it working. Let us know if you need any more help.