1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    really bethesda is going to add 4gb LAA to there PC game on there own accord? I find this hard to believe but if they do, it makes me feel even better about unloading on there support staff on 3 different tiers. :roll:

It also means my biggest gripe with the game aka getting crossfire working with the 4gb mod is no longer an issue, driver improvements and xfire support should kick in properly now.

all thats left is for bethesda to drop the retarded CPU shadows and swap to GPU shadows and skyrim could be modded to be the best looking game out there.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Darkleoco says thanks.
  2. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know if this patch fixes menus in eyefinity?

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I do enjoy them, at least the more classical ones.

Well the quests are that, but with more complicated words. And fetch quests you are given because .. i don't know. This is not limited to Bethsofts games mind you, pretty much all games does this at some point. And about weaving the story with my actions, that works very well in Dwarf Fortress. But the thing is Skyrim have a lot of story. As you say, there are hundreds of side quests (which if badly written are more cumbersome than fun) and while you can just ignore them that doesn't really lead anywhere except, as seen from pictures in this forum, filling rooms with cheese or getting cooler looking armor. Which for me are no reasons to continue playing.

Hey, I did like some things of the game. The exploring part is very fun, and the stuff I said above, but that together is not enough to make me want to continue playing. Well I could "finish" the game, if you can do that, but I don't want to. I do have harsh opinions about Bethsoft (mostly becuse Oblivion and Fallout 3 left me quite unhappy) but I think after more than 15 hours into the game I think I've given it a fair shot.

And I know I've been bitchy about it, and i do apologise for that. I will try not to do so in the future. We cool? :pimp:

phanbuey says thanks.
  4. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
    1920x1080 - i've not averaged my fps but have not had any slow downs and only 1 crash so far.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I never crash if I play at 1920x1080. But at 2560x1440 with vanilla game I crash every 15 minutes. Needless to say, with the texture mods I installed I can't even run the game at 2560x1440 without the 4GB mod, I'd crash to desktop within seconds.

I'm still getting the green flashing menus. I reinstalled 11.11c in vain, deleted skyrimprefs,ini and skyrim.ini in vain too... Though at least my fps went down to normal i.e. not going above 60 with vsync. Now I deleted the entire texture folder to get rid of any mods, and basically am re-downloading the game again. (Duh I noticed I had deleted 4GB of stuff only after I did it, and it was too large for the recycle bin. I am that blonde sometimes...:) )

@ Frick

Guess what, the most I like in this game is the exploring, freely wandering about, the non-linearity of the quests, the fact that if I'm not in the mood to fight I can simply sneak my way and hide around . . .

I've just passed my 100th hour of gameplay, and haven't really got into the main quest at all. I'm still supposed to "go to Riverwood and speak with Delphine".

This game's really worth the money for me.
    I look at the games I bought for €10 for Steam, nice games but which I finished in 3-5 days.
    Skyrim's been out for 27 days now, I've been playing it nearly daily and clocked 100 hours, and I haven't even done 15% of the game yet (I calculated this very roughly by reading titles of quests which I haven't encountered in the game). And I'm still on my first original character.

If the price for this game were to be proportionate to that of other games like Limbo or Portal which I finished in less than 20 hours I think it would cost like €600 :laugh: (I mean to say that other games are relatively expensive vis-a-vis a game like Skyrim)

On the other hand it's a bit tiring, I've been spending a lot of time tweaking the game... it doesn't make sense that someone with my same specs and a mid-range VGA gets better fps than me... And when I got everything nearly perfect... the menus start flashing green :banghead: I've been googling this problem and the only people apparently suffering from this issue are the ones using eyefinity :confused: I'm not running a high resolution of eyefinity :ohwell:

Edit: Finally got rid of the flashing menus by removing all the 4GB LAA fix from my Skyrim steam folder.

I don't think I'll re-install mods since Bethesda said they'll be releasing a 4GB LAA exe next week. I'll be doing the texture mods after then. And now I'll play vanilla. Hopefully I can do so without C2D at full resolution . . .

6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

Holy Crap!!!! I may have a freaking heart attack!!!

course, it would be nice to better utilize all cores and the 8gb, plus the crossfire, but then, I really only built this PC to play Skyrim, so what does it matt-.... hmmm....

7. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I'm concerned that my game is broken - 65 hours in and not a single random dragon spotted. In the main storyline I've done some of the quests, so I don't think that's it...

I've gotten to the point where a horn I was meant to collect is missing and I find a note to meet someone in an inn or something. That follows the first time I have met the greybeards.

I really, really hope I don't have to start the game again if it is a bug...

8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thank god for LAA patch.

my net is thoroughly choked so bad downloading this patch, that i cant even load more than one webpage at a time >.> need real interwebz

9. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    its a main quest issue i think just do that quest and it should reset itself and be back to normal

human_error says thanks.
  10. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    That is a long time to not see any dragons randomly flying about.
    I don't encounter many, much of the time they spawn over towns and cities when I fast travel.

11. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    In the STEP page he links to all of the mods he is suggesting, you have to download them and install them from their respective pages.

12. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Has anybody had this weird glitch?

[​IMG]

13. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
  14. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    His candle looks the same. His flames are pixelated; I never knew fire was naked.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Yes and any type of smoke/fog/haz/cloud

EDIT" this started happening after todays patch 1.3 or something like that

16. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Thanks - I did the next 2 parts of the questline and suddenly dragons. Killed 2 elders already (they're easy as I've got 94 bow skill already). Were they meant to appear before that point in the quest? (I assume so as all the advice I read was that they should appear sooner).

I've seen a wierd shadow cast on my housecarl in breezehome which looked as if there were a wierd mesh over the fire, but I couldn't see any mesh at all (it looks like that distortion in the screenshot would have cast the shadow I saw). This is only after the latest 1.3 patch.

17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i have seen the really weird shadow effect on several NPC's in breezehome, standing near the fire.

18. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it like concentric circles of rippling shadows?

I see that too. Only in Breezehome in Whiterun.

Edit
    : and in another place too. Only those 2 interiors so far. The second place is the shop of a really stuck-up trader in Solitude who wants to sell me 'good clothes' to wear in the Blue Palace.

-------------

Currently running game entirely vanilla. Thank heavens the green strobes no longer appear in the menu at least. On 11.11c, getting lowish fps in towns again now, and with no mods. I'll try to bear this till next week until Bethesda release their own LAA for the game.

19. ufgy20

Thanks Received:
    some of you may like this
    [yt]5S5fFW6p4Ws&feature=g-all[/yt]

Black Panther and Delta6326 say thanks.
  20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I used to like dubstep. Then I took a wub wub wub WUB wuuuub WuuUUb wub in the wub.

Black Panther says thanks.
  21. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Somehow, my skyrimpref ini properties are not loading correctly in game after the patch.. and 'datafiles' in the startup seemed to be greyed out...

Anyone else have this?

22. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    each patch seems to break ini settings delete them reload game let it detect settings, then reset it to what you want, after that close out reedit the ini files to what you want, and should solve it.

23. random

random

Thanks Received:
    On the patch notes what did they mean by "General Stability Improvements"? :wtf:

24. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    official LAA?

for real?

D:

*grins at 8Gb ram* >8D

25. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but LAA still won't use more than 4gb will it?