1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA "Super Clocking"

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Nozoned, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm planning out a build and have decided on the GTX 460 w/ 1g memory. I like EVGA just because I've bought a couple of their cards and never had a problem. I went to their site and they have two of the 460s that are identical except one is super clocked to 763Mhz compared to the 675Mhz standard.

Is the increase in Mhz something I could do myself once I got the card or is it worth paying the extra 10$?

Thanks.
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    sometimes the superclocked cards are higher binned parts so they are slightly better than the vanilla
    Nozoned says thanks.
  3. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Most cards will OC the same out of the box. If you pay extra for a Superclocked or OC edition, you likely will onely get the same highest OC as someone else who paid for a vanilla card.

Best bet is to make sure you spend the money wisely on a card with a better retail package or a longer warranty.
    Nozoned says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply. What exactly is meant by better retail packaging?
  5. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine bought Superclocked versions of a grapics card and ran them on FTW clocks.
  6. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Better retail package as in better included accessories or free games and such.

Where in NC are you?
    t_ski and Nozoned say thanks.
  7. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah I assumed that is what it meant but, we know where assuming can get you.

I live near a small town called Peachland, about thirty minutes SE of Charlotte.
  8. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is!!!

The EVA superclocked cards are not only higher binned and better quality components but are given a much longer warranty. I think with registration of your card the superclocked version gets an 8 year warranty. The regular cards only get 2 years. If you think you feel better with a longer warranty then it might be wise to spend the extra. If you are like me and don't give a damn about extended warranties then you can just overclock the stock card around 800mhz core and 1600mhz shaders anyway.
    Nozoned says thanks.
  9. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    IMO, I don't think the SC is binned, but the SSC and the FTW are binned. The factory OC of 763 is not even that high considering that GTX 460 has been OC'd over 900Mhz. However, your millage will vary.
    Nozoned says thanks.
  10. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    you say your planning your build? what res you going to be running ? as you may not even have a need to overclock?
    Nozoned says thanks.
  11. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Yes but my regular 285 gtx will run at FTW speeds (or higher) and thats not uncommon. Buy the regular model and overclock it.

This is simply not true in most cases. The warranty part is but the binning is not. I would be hard pressed, with the literally dozens of Evga card I have owned, to find one that will not run at SSC or FTW speeds. The gtx 280 ftw was a possible exception but when you used the voltage tool the that wasn't a issue either.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    Nozoned says thanks.
  12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I think this is true in most cases factory clocked cards are typically just that, a card that has been overclocked at the factory. Anyone can typically hit the same settings on a non factory clocked version.

what the ftw edition gives you is the lifetime warranty, haven't owned any evga ssc or sc editions though. Check the warranty, if it's better then it's a good deal, if the warranty between the sc and the regular edition are the same, get the regular version.
    Nozoned says thanks.
  13. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, my monitor, which I assume is what will determine what res. I will be running, will come a couple weeks after the build. The hard drive in my current comp. just died and I'm using that as an excuse to build a new one. I am going to use the new one for gaming mostly and I am planning on getting a nice monitor around 27"ish.

I'm new at this so, pretty much my plans are to get the build going and then see how big I can go and still have a good picture.

If it matters I plan on SLIing 2 GTX 460s whenever I get the money.
  14. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, I believe that is what I am going to do.
  15. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    I have read some user impressions about the EVGA's 460 with the EE cooler. It performs the same as the Zotac...loud and hot. Just an FYI. Personally, I am waiting for the Asus with the DirectCU cooler.
    Nozoned says thanks.
  16. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like I have more to research, thanks for the feedback.
  17. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Ditto. In fact I've seen vanilla cards that overclocked further than the FTW variants. I think all card manufacturers must have come to the conclusion that it just needs to be stable at their relatively safe overclock value, and to not bother to thoroughly screen them for max overclock.
    Nozoned says thanks.
  18. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I'm running an EVGA GTX 470 vanallia card and i have it clocked past 480 speeds. So i see know reason not to go with the cheaper card for the 460. EVGA precision is a great overclocking tool and i personally think you'll get some nice clocks on a standard card.
  19. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well athlonX2 has a vanilla 470, and it clocks ok, but he cant hit the clocks my 470 SC can. It may have just been luck of the draw, but I always lean toward the SC or SSC from EVGA, just because they always seem to tweak a little higher.

At CDdude.....can you run 835 core and over 2100 memory on that vanilla?
  20. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Haven't tried those clocks, as im sure it'll raise the shit out of my temps.

I really do think it varies from card to card, but then again, the SC and SSC cards could in fact tweak higher, but i for one am unsure about that.
    sneekypeet says thanks.
  21. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just checking :D

If you gat a chance sometime, try it out and shoot me a PM or something;)

More for personal info than really comparing e-penis:roll:
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  22. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    eVGA warranty
    Robert-The-Rambler says thanks.
  23. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    At 800mhz core and 1600mhz shader with stock Vanilla 768

I have my EVGA stock 460 GTX model clocked easily to 800mhz core and 1600mhz shader clock using EVGA Precision software. In my case the max temp under stress test peaked at 67 degrees Celcius. The fan speed only increased to 47% from 40%. It really is so easy a caveman can do it. :) They all will clock well so need to worry. :)