• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

exposing nVidia's latest ploy

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Salamander
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.325ghz 1.206v
Motherboard Asrock X370 Taichi
Cooling EK Supremacy Evo | Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS XFlow | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 120mm x 3
Memory Team T-Force Xtreem 2x8GB DDR4 3733 @ 3733mhz c16 1.4v | IF @ 1866mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX-470 RS Single Fan flashed to RX-570 @ stock water-cooled
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 256gb M.2 | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | WD Blue 500GB 2.5" | Toshiba 2TB 2.5"
Display(s) LG 27MP68VQ 27" 1920x1080 75hz IPS Freesync monitor
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 650w
Mouse Steelseries Kana White
Keyboard Steelseries 6GV2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro N
I don't get it. Nvidia releases some killer GPU's and everyone suddenly drones on about how AMD has been behind Nvidia since Adams granddad. It Is The Way Of Things IMO. The wheel of Nvidia besting AMD and then AMD besting Nvidia.

logical thinking is most welcome in threads like these, cheers to you good sir :toast:

System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel 12700K@5.1GHz
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 2x16GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 6800 16GB
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
System Name Current Rig
Storage 1TB SSD
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
No, you mentioned your theory is supported with facts.. Its not. Its your opinion of what Nvidia is doing based of what he said is happening with DX12. Its a leap of faith at best, blatant fanboy perspective at worst. Be honest with yourself. :)

Huh? I've maintained from the start that this is a theory supported by a few facts, and you're saying: "No... Its your opinion of what Nvidia is doing based of (sic) what he said is happening with DX12."

What exactly are you taking issue with? My theory or his facts?

System Name Current Rig
Storage 1TB SSD
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
Good lord, you're pushing some really heavy stupid buttons there anubis44.

1) DO NOT DOUBLE POST. Tired of saying this, because reading the base rules should have been done prior to post one. After having been told multiple times, you continue to do this crap. Either learn and follow the rules, or find somewhere else to talk.
2) When you say it is my opinion, you divorce yourself from requiring facts. Looking at the title of this thread, which is "exposing nVidia's latest ploy" in case you've forgotten, you start by spitting in the face of facts. You link together random bits of data, cobble together conspiracy based conclusions, and don't listen to anyone presenting other points of view. This is not supporting your point, it is yelling louder than the opposition in order to make your point seem more important.
3) Why did you assume Dx12 would be on Windows 7. MS already released 11.2, and it was an 8.1 exclusive. In exactly what world do you believe MS would suddenly go back on this idea, and make Dx12 run on Windows 7? Stating that it wasn't confirmed is like saying you don't know dog poop tastes bad until you eat some. While technically true, it's a stupid point. If that somehow is unclear, I'd like for you to confirm that conjecture about some dog poo in my front lawn.

4) Why did Nvidea release a new GPU right around the holiday season? I can't believe I have to answer such a stupid question. Nvidea released new cards so they had product to sell for the holidays. If they released a reasonably priced card, which does show some improvement, they've got something that will print money. The development for this particular product has almost all been underwritten by the 7xx series cards, so little overhead and a new product will line Nvidea's coffers nicely.
5) Why isn't AMD releasing a new GPU now? That one is also simple. AMD has the console market locked down. They've developed for the current production node, and are staunchly waiting for TSMC to be able to roll out production on the smaller node. Rather than getting into a pricing war with Nvidea, AMD has decided to focus their resources toward other things. It's at this point I'd like to refer to your own "evidence" about the Zen redesign. That kind of development is likely draining AMD's resources, and is why they aren't releasing a new card for this holiday season. Nothing even mildly conspiracy driven there.

Assuming you don't agree with any of the above logic, you're going to have to tell me why any of this is terrible. AMD was immensely lucky that they had compute heavy cards when the coin crunching markets came about, so the R9xx series sold well. It wasn't worth a conspiracy theory that AMD started the crunching market? Nvidea and AMD compete in so much as one is always a step behind the other. The highest end cards trade blows, but in my experience the big mover cards are positioned such that AMD wins on price : performance, while Nvidea wins on pure performance. This is why I said AMD has been behind Nvidea for the last decade. I'm sure you can throw synthetic benches out, which shows the highest end AMD and Nvidea cards trade blows. At the same time, Nvidea sells an order of magnitude more 970s than 980s. AMD isn't a bad company because of their choices, Nvidea isn't a good one for its choices, and there is no reasonable basis for the claims that Nvidea is in the middle of some elaborate hoax to damage AMD.

For a moment, let's look at Nvidea. They don't like competition, but realistically they need it. AMD cards on the market prevent accusations of price fixing, monopolies, and actually allow you to sell your cards. Compare X to Y, and Y is better; you will therefore buy Y. If you were to look at Y one generation ago versus now, you'd see a 100% increase in cost, with a 7% increase in performance. Nobody in their right mind would buy that. In contrast, frame it as Y this generation beats X this generation by 5%, at only 104% the cost and it appears to be a steal. The thrifty consumer buys X, because the price decrease means more to them. While AMD will take a bath on sales, they will move units because of a price drop. Both AMD and Nvidea are benefiting from Nvidea releasing a new card, yet you aren't calling that a conspiracy.

Boiling this whole thing down; GIGO. You take garbage facts, extrapolate insane theories, and produce garbage conspiracy theories. Both of these companies are using their competition to move cards, by demonstrating their features in different ways. You look at facts, and Nvidea wins. You look at relative value comparisons, and AMD wins. Both companies selectively demonstrate truths, to get their units out the door. If this practice is unacceptable I suggest you find a communist utopia somewhere to live. Capitalism, for better and worse, is as much about your lies as it is your truths. If this system is unacceptable to the point of you conjecturing boogie-men you'll wind up in a nut house once you see the crap people do to control raw resources. If you want a real conspiracy, look-up aluminum billet sales.

Edit:
Darn emoticons. I'm use to a colon between two compared values, but forgot that is automatically made into that stupid emoticon. Hopefully this has rectified it.

Please, what stupid buttons am I pushing?

1) I have no intention of violating any rules. What exactly do you mean by double post? I'm only replying once to each person, and I only see one reply per person on my screen.

2) I've never said my theory was beyond dispute. As for the provocative thread title, well, I went for short and sweet summary of my position. I happen to think nVidia is a more nefarious company than AMD. They've shown every indication that if there's a buck to be made off of their customers, they'll make it. PhysX, less ram than AMD offers on comparable cards, G-sync. They've shown a definite pattern of wanting to pilfer our pocketbooks at every opportunity, whereas AMD has not done these sorts of things, and I consider these previous actions 'ploys' on nVidia's part. Ploys to make extra money out of us. Do you think this is untrue? If so, pray share some examples. If there's something specifically offensive about the title, please point that out. As for not listening, of course I'm listening to others. I've acknowledged every respectful reply with some kind of reasonable acknowledgement. I've shown a willingness to change my mind in the face of any persuasive evidence. What more do I need to do?

3) I never assumed there would be a DX12 for Windows 7. But I also never automatically assumed there wouldn't be, either. Now that it's confirmed (in my mind), it's another piece of information, which, taken with other bits of information, formed a preliminary picture for me. I'm postulating a theory. If there's anything specifically offensive about my theory, please tell me what it is.

4) Yes, it's obvious that both card companies want to release cards in time to make loads of money for Christmas. Problem is, nVidia hasn't done this in four generations. That makes the GTX970/980 release an outlier for me. By itself, it's not a huge deal. Taken in conjunction with the near-simultaneous revelation of no DX12 for Win 7, and the $330 price tag on the GTX970, a card that can defeat a $450-$500 AMD card, THEN I start getting a little bit curious. That's still permitted these days, isn't it?

5) I never asked why AMD hadn't released a card in September. I'm well aware that they intend to release their nextgen GPU on 20nm early next year, so I was never expecting such a release.

When I buy products, I don't merely look at features of the products, I also look at the past actions of the company sometimes, whenever I can. I like to be an educated consumer. If a company has a history of illegal or simply immoral behavior, I'll usually say no to their products. Intel, for example, has also pulled quite a lot of anti-competitive and even straight up illegal actions, so I'm avoiding their products, too. If you're willing to give money to a company that tried to muscle out its only competitor with bribes and threats, that's also your prerogative, but I choose not to do so, because I refuse to reward cheating and extortion. Please don't tell me I'm 'stupid' for standing up for my principles. As a former soldier, I don't like hearing people tell me that criminal or immoral activity 'just happens', so we should just sit back and watch and do nothing about it. Otherwise, what was the point of serving to protect my society from a threat or to protect innocent people from harm?

As for your analysis of communism and capitalism, well, that's something we could certainly discuss, as I have a master's in PoliSci, but this is hardly the forum for it. Suffice to say, however, that I think we would both heartily agree about the 'crap people do' in most industries. I've seen it, too. The difference may be that I rail against it, whereas you seem to take the position that shit happens, and there's nothing we can do about it. I think that's probably the major point of departure between both of us.

One more thing about your theory that capitalism is as much about 'lies' as 'truths'. Once upon a time, people were restrained quite a lot more from lying by other factors than they seem to be now. Their religious or moral upbringing restrained them from simply bullshitting people. Now, there seems to be no self-restraint at all about lying. The lesson to be learned from this for me is not that we should learn to live with more lying, its that we need to figure out how to return to a society of greater moral restraint and trust. And no, I'm not religious myself, but I don't need a god to know that certain things are wrong, simply because I wouldn't want somebody to do them to me, either. This is a huge discussion in itself.

I happen to be speculating about one particular 'crappy' thing I perceive nVidia to be doing. If I'm wrong, fine. If you don't agree that it's crappy, then fine, that's your prerogative. But I thought some others might want to hear about it, so please don't call me 'stupid' for postulating a theory unless you can actually disprove it, and even then, simply pointing out how I'm wrong will be more than sufficient. Name-calling is not required.

Last edited:
System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
So all I got from this thread is the following..

- nvidia's cards are superior
- nvidia knowns that they have superior stuff
- nvidia knowing that it has superior stuff can take more risks (at both ends of the spectrum, being timid and aggressive)
- Mantle is a marketing ploy. Until it's widely used it won't be anything more than that. Which mean until nvidia starts supporting it than it's bordering on vaporware.
- It's for this reason that nvidia doesn't fear mantle.
- nvidia gives no shits because regardless of how they price there stuff they know people will pay for the superior product.

/thread

#deathtofanboys

System Name Current Rig
Storage 1TB SSD
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
So all I got from this thread is the following..

- nvidia's cards are superior
- nvidia knowns that they have superior stuff
- nvidia knowing that it has superior stuff can take more risks (at both ends of the spectrum, being timid and aggressive)
- Mantle is a marketing ploy. Until it's widely used it won't be anything more than that. Which mean until nvidia starts supporting it than it's bordering on vaporware.
- It's for this reason that nvidia doesn't fear mantle.
- nvidia gives no shits because regardless of how they price there stuff they know people will pay for the superior product.

/thread

#deathtofanboys

Interesting sitrep there, ShiBDiB. Looks like you've given it a very shallow read, but to each his own. :)

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Yes, it's obvious that both card companies want to release cards in time to make loads of money for Christmas. Problem is, nVidia hasn't done this in four generations.
You do realize that had Nvidia not been under pressure to fulfil the 18,000+ order for Tesla K20's or ORNL on time (March 2013 for full validation and workload use), GK 110 would have debuted as the GTX Titan in September (Q3) 2012? And that GK 110 did actually debut in September of that year.
You also aren't taking into account when a process is actually available for production. If you did you would easily see why both Nvidia and AMD's launches occur when they do.
You are taking a single point and building a house of cards on that foundation. The fact that you seem woefully lacking in backround information, and pretty much everyone in this thread can see it ( and you don't)should be an indicator.
If a company has a history of illegal or simply immoral behavior, I'll usually say no to their products.
No. What you're doing is highlighting a particular company to justify a position. You realize that virtually every major Japanese and South Korean electronics company was built on patent theft, institutionalized bribery, price fixing, and protectionist government intervention? Bet that doesn't stop you from buying their products. You want to pontificate about AMD but conveniently overlook the company being prosecuted to the tune of $58m for IP infringement (v Intel), $962,500 for price fixing with Nvidia (check the dates, ATI was an AMD division for over a year of the offending), and desperate to cling to their server share posting bogus performance numbers from fictitious processors...and that's without the whole guerrilla marketing of Bulldozer as a world beater in order to pre-sell the 990X/FX chipset for board partners. The point is, that most large electronics corporations have some unsavoury dealings. If you want to hate on a company, then fine - just don't try to justify it with as some facile and flawed discussion point.
None of this has any relevance to your "theory". Nvidia selling it's cards when the silicon is ready is just cashing in on the most lucrative revenue period of the year - and if you're under any illusions about that, just remember that Nvidia launched the GTX 580/570 in November/December (2010), and the GTX 780 Ti in November 2013, as well as a whole slew of mid range/high volume boards. Also note that AMD does exactly the same (RV670, Cayman/Hemlock, Tahiti (R9 280X) and Tahiti LE, Curacao, and Hawaii in recent years) when it has the silicon ready to go.

Last edited:
System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Guys, I think it's recommended that we no longer feed the troll, as it is clearly going no where. Actually, cancel that. It hasn't gone anywhere from the very beginning.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Guys, I think it's recommended that we no longer feed the troll, as it is clearly going no where. Actually, cancel that. It hasn't gone anywhere from the very beginning.
True enough, but it is amusing to watch someone dig a hole that deep....but you haven't heard my theory yet!
Anubis = Ruler of the underworld
First top tier GPU built under AMD rule = RV670
RV670 transistor count = 666 million

IT'S OBVIOUS!!!!! The end of days is upon us!

Last edited:
System Name Current Rig
Storage 1TB SSD
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
You also aren't taking into account when a process is actually available for production. If you did you would easily see why both Nvidia and AMD's launches occur when they do.
You are taking a single point and building a house of cards on that foundation. The fact that you seem woefully lacking in backround information, and pretty much everyone in this thread can see it ( and you don't)should be an indicator.

No. What you're doing is highlighting a particular company to justify a position. You realize that virtually every major Japanese and South Korean electronics company was built on patent theft, institutionalized bribery, price fixing, and protectionist government intervention? Bet that doesn't stop you from buying their products. You want to pontificate about AMD but conveniently overlook the company being prosecuted to the tune of $58m for IP infringement (v Intel), $962,500 for price fixing with Nvidia (check the dates, ATI was an AMD division for over a year of the offending), and desperate to cling to their server share posting bogus performance numbers from fictitious processors...and that's without the whole guerrilla marketing of Bulldozer as a world beater in order to pre-sell the 990X/FX chipset for board partners. The point is, that most large electronics corporations have some unsavoury dealings. If you want to hate on a company, then fine - just don't try to justify it with as some facile and flawed discussion point. You've made your position clear simply and assumption
None of this has any relevance to your "theory". Nvidia selling it's cards when the silicon is ready is just cashing in on the most lucrative revenue period of the year - and if you're under any illusions about that, just remember that Nvidia launched the GTX 580/570 in November/December (2010), and the GTX 780 Ti in November 2013, as well as a whole slew of mid range/high volume boards. Also note that AMD does exactly the same (RV670, Cayman/Hemlock, Tahiti (R9 280X) and Tahiti LE, Curacao, and Hawaii in recent years) when it has the silicon ready to go.

I am taking into account process availability. Nvidia's already built two previous generations on 28nm, and now they've built a third on it, instead of waiting for 20nm in 2QTr 2015. Maybe they know something about 20nm production availability? Perhaps, and if that turns out to be the problem, and they opted to build the GTX970/980 on 28nm for September 2014 availability for that reason, then I'm wrong, and I'll readily admit it. I'm not unreasonable. Your bulldog response, however, does seem overly heavy-handed.

I'm not taking a single point and building a 'house of cards', I'm emphatically taking several points and combining them. Must I list them a third time? OK, here goes:

1) nVidia building a new generation on an old process for a third time.
2) nVidia releasing a mainstream flagship and penultimate flagship in time for full-stock availability just before Christmas.
3) DX12 confirmed (to my mind, and probably most others) as not being released for Win 7, leaving Mantle as possible stopgap for AMD Radeon users, but not (as yet, in any case) an option for nVidia users.
4) nVidia pricing penultimate flagship card (GTX970) at a measly $330, when two previous penultimate flagship cards (i.e. GTX770, GTX670) have released well over $400.

So, there are four basic points, not 1. Look, it's just a theory. If you don't agree with it, that's fine, but the amount of aggressive energy you just put out only serves to make it look like you're overreacting.

As for patent theft, institutionalized bribery, and price fixing being a widespread problem, well, do you propose we just stop worrying about it? Should we just throw up our hands and say, whatever? If there's no rule of law, there will be utter anarchy, and I'm sure you don't want that, so please stop defending corruption and lawlessness like it's just fine every day activity and that we shouldn't even try to do anything about it. I'm sure you wouldn't feel the same way if your house was pillaged or your family attacked, so I'd recommend growing a backbone and standing up against this kind of stuff at higher levels before it spreads to lower levels instead of looking the other way. You can't do a huge amount as an individual, but you can vote with your dollars and try to educate yourself about the worst offenders.

System Name Current Rig
Storage 1TB SSD
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
True enough, buy it is amusing to watch someone dig a hole that deep....but you haven't heard my theory yet!

Hey, I wasn't trying to troll or dig holes. Just posited an idea. I thought that's what discussion forums were for. Next time, should I only consider posting pro-nVidia propaganda? And by the way, I'm finding it even more amusing watching everybody jump on the 28nm GTX970 and 980 cards when, quite possibly, there will be a 20nm version within 5-6 months, and quite probably, a very competitive Radeon 390/390X within 3-4 months. Won't that sting, eh?

Last edited:
System Name Current Rig
Storage 1TB SSD
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"

Actually, it's funny somebody positing a not-so-flattering notion about nVidia's motivations, supported by at least 4 fairly decent factual observations, is considered trolling, but on several other tech forums I've posted, the distribution of those who think I'm wrong/full of it, and those who at least tacitly acknowledge the potential validity of the idea is about 50/50. Does that mean Techpowerup is a hotbed of nVidiots? I'd really like to hope not, as I often depend on it for video card bioses and reviews with benchmarks.

In all sincerity, although I admittedly dislike nVidia, and my avatar makes no bones about my support for AMD, I did not create this thread with the mere intention of trolling. I honestly did hope to stoke a reasonable discussion of the theory, and a few of you have stepped up and said that you can see pros and cons behind it, which is fair enough, and what I had hoped for. To the ones who haven't been so reasonable, and have foamed at the mouth while thinking I was some 'mere' fanboy, with no decent points or ideas to back up an assertion, I'd say that you might want to look in the mirror to find the biggest fanboy on this thread, as I haven't foamed at the mouth, engaged in ad hominem attacks or called anyone names in my replies.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
I am taking into account process availability. Nvidia's already built two previous generations on 28nm, and now they've built a third on it, instead of waiting for 20nm in 2QTr 2015. Maybe they know something about 20nm production availability? Perhaps, and if that turns out to be the problem, and they opted to build the GTX970/980 on 28nm for September 2014 availability for that reason, then I'm wrong, and I'll readily admit it.
Great. Get that admission drafted up.
Nvidia are already on record as saying 20nm was of little use to them. Even if they were and 20nm miraculously could be tuned for a large high frequency die, TSMC doesn't have the capacity to deliver, and won't have until well into next year.
Why would Nvidia wait on a process that isn't conducive to their product when they can make money hand over fist on a mature process? It's not as if Nvidia are just rolling out GM 204, they also have a reworked GK 210 coming off TSMC's lines and more than likely GM 206.
, I'm finding it even more amusing watching everybody jump on the 28nm GTX970 and 980 cards when, quite possibly, there will be a 20nm version within 5-6 months, and quite probably, a very competitive Radeon 390/390X within 3-4 months. Won't that sting, eh?
Whatever dude. Most people in the know are picking AMD's Fiji as being 28nm, and have been for some time. The numbers don't add up for TSMC's CLN20SOC process. If I were you, and thankfully I'm not, I'd be preparing another conspiracy theory concerning why AMD fanboys continue to circulate 20nm rumours in an effort to forestall Nvidia holiday sales [/sarcasm]

/Outta here

Last edited:
System Name Current Rig
Storage 1TB SSD
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
Great.
Nvidia are already on record as saying 20nm was of little use to them. Even if they were and 20nm miraculously could be tuned for a large high frequency die, TSMC doesn't have the capacity to deliver, and won't have until well into next year.
Why would Nvidia wait on a process that isn't conducive to their product when they can make money hand over fist on a mature process? It's not as if Nvidia are just rolling out GM 204, they also have a reworked GK 210 coming off TSMC's lines and more than likely GM 206.

Excellent! Thanks for the link, Smoke.

I'll add this site to my repertoire of tech news sites I read. Looks like fairly persuasive stuff about 20nm not being ready for GPU production by early next year, and if that proves to be true, then I'm probably wrong. See, I'm not a troll. I can admit it if I'm wrong! Isn't that refreshing? :)

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
. Nvidia's already built two previous generations on 28nm, and now they've built a third on it, instead of waiting for 20nm in 2QTr 2015.

I only count two; Kepler and now Maxwell.

4) nVidia pricing penultimate flagship card (GTX970) at a measly $330, when two previous penultimate flagship cards (i.e. GTX770, GTX670) have released well over $400.

They're not flagship cards. High-end SKU maybe, but mid-range GPU. Why should they release the full Maxwell when AMD can't even compete with a mid-range card? Makes sense for Nvidia to wait for the 20nm node to mature and rollout the Maxwell refresh when there is a need to.

there will be 20nm version within 5-6 months, and quite probably, a very competitive Radeon 390/390X within 3-4 months. Won't that sting, eh?

I don't see anything being that competitive from AMD. They've been behind for a long time. For example, the R9-290/X was released to compete with a GPU (GK110) that was first announced ~17 months prior to its release. Even then it was rather hot, noisy and power hungry. Price was the only thing on its side when it conveniently slotted between two Nvidia SKUs. Nvidia will just drop the Maxwell refresh.

System Name Current Rig
Storage 1TB SSD
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
I only count two; Kepler and now Maxwell.

They're not flagship cards. High-end SKU maybe, but mid-range GPU. Why should they release the full Maxwell when AMD can't even compete with a mid-range card? Makes sense for Nvidia to wait for the 20nm node to mature and rollout the Maxwell refresh when there is a need to.

I don't see anything being that competitive from AMD. They've been behind for a long time. For example, the R9-290/X was released to compete with a GPU (GK110) that was first announced ~17 months prior to its release. Even then it was rather hot, noisy and power hungry. Price was the only thing on its side when it conveniently slotted between two Nvidia SKUs. Nvidia will just drop the Maxwell refresh.

OK, I see that GTX580 was built on 40nm. I had incorrectly remembered 28nm. Although the 700-series were also built on 28nm, they don't count as a GPU generation, as they are 600-series Keplers on the desktop. My bad!

As for not being flagship cards, OK, I see your point. In my view, the Titans are basically not on the radar for gaming, as they are essentially priced out of the 'gaming' market in my view, as I see any single GPU card in excess of $700 as being off the map, and frankly, I would never spend more than $400 on a graphics card period - $300+change being closer to my personal upper limit. In my view, the GTX980 is the upper range gaming card of the 900-series, so the GTX970 is the penultimate gaming 'flagship' card, just as the GTX670 was the penultimate 600-series gaming card, behind the GTX680.

I agree that the stock cooler on the Radeon 290/290X was pathetic, and should have been much beefier, but in my view, the custom cards completely eliminated this issue. I will find it hard to believe that AMD can't do something comparable with the 390/390X to what nVidia was able to do with Maxwell, but we'll have to wait and see. I think it will largely depend on whether AMD also dumps most of the double precision floating point circuitry, as nVidia has done, in order to reduce the wattage. Frankly, I'd like to see them do this if it will allow AMD to show their best hand, but that decision has likely already been made, for better or worse.

Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
I will find it hard to believe that AMD can't do something comparable with the 390/390X to what nVidia was able to do with Maxwell, but we'll have to wait and see.

It's not impossible, but following the trend, it is unlikely AMD will be able to release something that takes the performance crown off Nvidia (in an overall generational sense). They will however, release a card that performs admirably, if not as efficient as Nvidia, and will be lauded by AMD supporters or anyone who has no strong preference to a particular brand. As most will know, I'm not a huge AMD fan (bad experiences in the past), but I do want them to do well and I always enjoy seeing what they can do, but even the biggest AMD supporters should be able to see that they're not hitting the same stride they did prior to the 2006 acquisition by AMD. For me personally, it'd take something truly amazing to bring me over to the red side (same goes for their CPUs).

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

GTX 670 and GTX 770 were released at $400. No one is going to take you seriously when you back up your opinion with errors.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
True enough, buy it is amusing to watch someone dig a hole that deep....but you haven't heard my theory yet!

Uh oh! Jeebus is coming, everyone look busy! :respect::laugh:

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
snip for obvious purpose...
STOP TRIPLE POSTING!!! not complicated to see what a double post or triple post is : it when you make 2 or 3 post in a row!!!

can a mods lock that thread at last ... nothing constructive and 970/980 are still kept in check by the 290/290X for those (like me) who don't care about watts

Reactions: 64K
970/980 are still kept in check by the 290/290X for those (like me) who don't care about watts

Oh really? This says otherwise:

Cheaper, cooler, and faster. AMDs top-tier GPU can't touch a 'crippled' (shader clusters disabled) mid-range GPU. And again, as I have mentioned several times, the R9-290/X could only just compete with the 17 month old top-tier GK110, when it hit the market.

All things considered (power, temperatures, cost, performance), regardless of brand, the current Maxwells have the better tech and are a better buy all round. The only reason so to buy one is if you actively want to support AMD or, for whatever reason, you can find them much cheaper than the Nvidia alternative. If I were in the market for a new GPU and had put aside any bias I may have, I would look at the 290X for $450 and the GTX 970 for $400 and pick the GTX 970 simply because it offers more performance, uses less power (less work for PSU, might negate the need to upgrade) and that it is cooler and quieter. Even for the same price, or a tad more, there is simply no reason for not buying a GTX 970 over a 290X unless, like I said previously, you have a strong brand preference. My love for all things tech is stronger than my preference for Nvidia, so if AMD were to release a GPU that was truly better and could match anything Nvidias entire generation could offer at the time, then yes, I would agree AMD have the better card, but it isn't true this time around and it hasn't been for quite a while.

Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Oh really? This says otherwise:

Cheaper, cooler, and faster. AMDs top-tier GPU can't touch a 'crippled' (shader clusters disabled) mid-range GPU. And again, as I have mentioned several times, the R9-290/X could only just compete with the 17 month old top-tier GK110, when it hit the market.

All things considered (power, temperatures, cost, performance), regardless of brand, the current Maxwells have the better tech and are a better buy all round. The only reason so to buy one is if you actively want to support AMD or, for whatever reason, you can find them much cheaper than the Nvidia alternative. If I were in the market for a new GPU and had put aside any bias I may have, I would look at the 290X for $450 and the GTX 970 for $400 and pick the GTX 970 simply because it offers more performance, uses less power (less work for PSU, might negate the need to upgrade) and that it is cooler and quieter. Even for the same price, or a tad more, there is simply no reason for not buying a GTX 970 over a 290X unless, like I said previously, you have a strong brand preference. My love for all things tech is stronger than my preference for Nvidia, so if AMD were to release a GPU that was truly better and could match anything Nvidias entire generation could offer at the time, then yes, I would agree AMD have the better card, but it isn't true this time around and it hasn't been for quite a while.

not talking about bench but real comparison :) IE all result of the 970 (by user not by reviewer) are close or slightly under my 290 result... so what? 16% increase? not worth it.

and my 290 was 190chf and regular price is oscillating between 240 and 320 now ... a 970? the cheapest one is 399 for that price i can take a new 290 and a combo waterblock backplate (also not mentioning that i can get 2 290 2nd hand for 380 thanks to maxwell... ;) ) so conclusion the curent Hawaii gen still keep in check the 9XX in the perf segment (ok not in consumption) after that cooler and quieter ... my 290 is 31° idle and 47° max under load at 1130/1400 with a 650w PSU i could be in a worse position.

i was ready to go for a 9XX setup but the fact and reality made me do another choice (wise or not ... well that was still a damn good choice) i consider maxwell good don't worry and i had a mix of Nv and AMD/ATI card till now i side for none.

not talking about bench but real comparison

That is a performance summary of a collection of games, not really a benchmark.

IE all result of the 970 (by user not by reviewer)

The card used in the review is the same as a retail.

are close or slightly under my 290 result... so what? 16% increase? not worth it.

GTX 970 is faster than 290X, stock v stock. Your card is currently cooled with an LCS.

and my 290 was 190chf and regular price is oscillating between 240 and 320 now ... a 970? the cheapest one is 399 for that price i can take a new 290 and a combo waterblock backplate (also not mentioning that i can get 2 290 2nd hand for 380 thanks to maxwell... ;) ) so conclusion the curent Hawaii gen still keep in check the 9XX in the perf segment (ok not in consumption) after that cooler and quieter ... my 290 is 31° idle and 47° max under load at 1130/1400 with a 650w PSU i could be in a worse position.

Obviously prices differ from region to region, but in most, the AMD 290X (the closest, stock performing GPU), is still more expensive than the GTX 970 (US, UK, AU). So your observation on this is mostly unique to your area. For you, as I originally stated in my previous post, it does make sense, as it is considerably cheaper.

EDIT: I am going off retail pricing here. Obviously the mining boom/bust would have flooded secondhand markets with reasonably priced cards, but with limited options for warranty.

VR HMD Medion Erazer
GTX 970 is faster than 290X, stock v stock. Your card is currently cooled with an LCS.
and my card is a 290 not a 290X and the whole LCS setup + the card did cost less than a 970.

Obviously prices differ from region to region, but in most, the AMD 290X (the closest, stock performing GPU), is still more expensive than the GTX 970 (US, UK, AU). So your observation on this is mostly unique to your area. For you, as I originally stated in my previous post, it does make sense, as it is considerably cheaper.
well ... yes i give you that. (still you should take 290 pricing and not 290X ... since a 290 stock is near a 290X stock and not so far from a 970)

still you can't say a 290/290X can't compete with a 970/980, they do (ok when the price is right ... )
my statement(opinion) is maintained and your opinion is respected. (aka: who want a 970/980 go for it who want a 290/290X can also go for it. supporting a brand or not.)

as for me Nv and AMD have always been trading blows as no matter what, the competition was still there.

furthermore a 780/780Ti owner is in the same state as a 290/290X owner : 970/980 no real need unless you want to go for the new one at all cost (or watts consumption ofc) all 4 aforementioned card can hold till the "real" next gen

and my card is a 290 not a 290X and the whole LCS setup + the card did cost less than a 970.

I know, but stock performance of a 290X is closer to a GTX 970.

still you should take 290 pricing and not 290X ... since a 290 stock is near a 290X stock and not so far from a 970

As I said above, I'm going off the 290X as it is closer to the performance of a GTX 970. A 290 is slower again.

still you can't say a 290/290X can't compete with a 970/980, they do

For retail prices (excluding rebates/deals), in the regions I previously mentioned, they don't compete. With the 290X (which, again, is closer to the GTX 970 in performance) you have a card that is hotter, uses more power, is noisier and more expensive. Looking at secondhand prices (they're not much better than retail here), it may be a better buy.

furthermore a 780/780Ti owner is in the same state as a 290/290X owner : 970/980 no real need unless you want to go for the new one at all cost (or watts consumption ofc) all 4 aforementioned card can hold till the "real" next gen

In terms of generation, it is not fair to compare the 290 vs 970, as they are technically a generation apart. The 290/290x were to counter the GK110 (GTX 780/Ti) and they did. While many arguments may still arise about power and temperature between the two, the AMDs had price on their side. To be fair to Nvidia though, the GK110 was quite an old GPU by the time AMD replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.