1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extremely Odd New Problem

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Creatre, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    I've just had the most interesting problem arise. Two days ago I did the pencil volt mod to my mobo, not sure if that is what this is from or not, but it seems odd it would pop up two days later. Just installed my new Sapphire HD4870 graphics card I got in earlier today. Installed the drivers, got it overclocked to where I wanted it, and felt like everything was going smooth. Popped open the overclock folder to run 3dmark06 to see how it compared to my old setup. About 30 seconds into the first test I get BSOD, and I went huh I should not have BSOD'd from a graphics card.

I boot it back to windows to check to make sure my cpu overclock settings showed the same. They did, however my CPU temp readings used to read 50,50,45,47 at idle at 3.6ghz, they were showing 60,60,56,58! I opened the case back up and all the wires, fans, heatsinks are on properly! The new videocard is pretty hot, but it shouldn't bump the cpu temp up 10 degress C! I then, lowered the overclock of my cpu back to 3.51ghz where it usually sits, and with the volt mod I did to the mobo the other day I in the end lowered the cpu v by .06v at idle (Now 54,54,48,49 - .06v should cool it more than that!). I of course was running prime95 for a few minutes in between but I was still getting extremely hot temps from the cpu so I didn't want to run it too long (>85C temps). I get through 3DMark06 and everything seemed to be running OK, except still having high temps. Scores were 4k+ higher than my 9600gt I had before.

Now, it seems like it's using way more CPU and hardrive than it should. It's hard to explain but moving around Windows is not fluid. Pretty often if I do something that involves my harddrive it freaks out and shoots the cpu through the roof (30%+ usage) for a few minutes, which also send the cpu temps skyrocketing once again. I was planning on getting the S1283 but was hoping to come down from the temps I had before, coming from this I almost need to do water! None of this stuff happened before the new videocard install. Anyone have any ideas on what the heck is going on?
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Appears to me to be a driver issue. I would say, clean out VGA drivers and re-install.
    Creatre says thanks.
  3. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Re-installed drivers, put the other card back in with no change, and tried a restore point from a week back or so. Nothing seems to be helping it. I am right now backing up all my data and going to boot up the Vista disk and start from scratch to see if it fixes the issue. It's about time for me to do that anyways, but I was going to do it next week after I setup my RAID0 array.

If I was to overvolt or overheat the cpu would it act like this? Seems like it would be more likely this is something that would have taken affect more from the mobo mod than the video card install. The thing I don't get is that at idle before it was at 1.488 and under load it was at 1.456, where as now it is at 1.424 idle and 1.408 load therefore it should be significantly cooler.
  4. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you verify what you did with the volt mod with a DMM?
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    How did you reinstall the drivers? There is a right way and a wrong way.
  6. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    You may need to redo your overclock since you did the pencil mod.
    You may need to lower your CPU voltage and change other voltages to get it completly stable again.
    Also what was the other graphics card you had before this 1.
    Did you uninstall the drivers it had?
  7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    ati and nvidia all the say is uninstall in control panel and delete left over files after a restart

you can use driver sweeper to clean files automatically and ccleaner
  8. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm now stably clocked at 3.3ghz using 1.36v at idle. Temps are just now the same as they were before. The computer seems to be back at normal now feel wise, however something is still not right. 3.3ghz @ 1.36v is the same as 3.6ghz @ 1.488v heat wise? Lol, I don't know if I fried my thermal paste or what. I'm afraid if I take off my AC7 again though I won't be able to get it back on bc of the pins from taking it on and off a few too many times. Going to order the S1283 this week and take a look then and hopefully that will take care of my problems. I forgot I can't reinstall vista because my disk is back in Arizona and I'm in South Carolina for the summer so if the problem persists after the new cooler I'll try Windows 7 and see if that helps it.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice I tried it all and nothing really seemed to work unfortunately.
  9. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    What case are you using? I would still check any volt mod with a multi meter.
  10. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    I would definitely try to help out though is very late and I cant concentrate anymore, will thik about it when i wake up, kudos
  11. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Antec 900 with all 4 fans on Hi, moves an incredible amount of air. I checked the volt mod when I did it, although since there was no guide for this board I based it off of some others I saw. I believed I lowered the load roughly 400 ohms, I still have an awful vdroop though, but significantly improved from before. I borrowed it from a friend though so haven't been able to check it since the problem arose but he comes back into town on Monday so I may grab it then. I don't think that is the issue though really, or it sure doesn't make sense if it is.