1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*facepalm* I messed with the registry and now my laptop is acting weird

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I followed the instructions on this website to try and change the default installation/download directory of my dad's Vista laptop from the C drive to D. I completely forgot that the D drive on this laptop was a recovery partition only, confusing it with my laptop and his desktop which both have C drives at Windows partitions and a D drive for everything else. I tried opening up regedit to fix it but it says Windows cannot find C:\Windows\regedit.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly blah blah blah.

I then tried to system restore back to an earlier point, but that didn't work either. I got the same message except instead of regedit.exe it said rstrui.exe.

Help! :banghead:

I can't even get I.E. to launch...

Edit: I went into safe mode and was finally able to open the registry and fix my mess. Should've done that before coming here!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    How the heck did system restore not fix your registry?!

Anyway, I'd say go straight for a System Repair.

3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the thing is I couldn't even get system restore to work. It worked fine in safe mode though, beats me but I'm just glad I can wipe the sweat off my forhead and put the laptop back where it was as if I never touched it. :D