1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan Placement - Side fan. (Intake/Exhaust)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Hellfire, May 31, 2010.

?

Side Fan, Intake or Exhaust?

1. Intake

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Exhaust

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    So no my spec you'll see I have an Antec 1200 with 3 intake at the front, Big Boy on top and 2 year exhaust,

Now one of the Exhaust is not longer an Exhaust fan, due to having a Corsair H50 it was removed and replaced with the radiator and fan for the H50 with the fan blowing in to cool the radiator,

So now I've lost an exhaust fan but I I've got a 120mm Fan left over from the H50 install (the builders kindly sent it to me) SO as I've got a very easy side fan to mount is it best to pop it onto side as an Exhaust to replace the one I've lost or an Intake to help better cool my GPU (runs at 48c Idle)
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not have the fan attached to the H50 blow out? Front fans as intakes and side fan as intake.
  3. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Well this is how it came to me from the builders, everything I've read/been told has said the H50 fan should be blowing onto the radiator to provide cool air. If I had it blowing out the radiator is then only have air from inside the case being pulled through it.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's barely going to make a difference. Your case has very good airflow and it would be more beneficial all around having the H50 exhaust with the sides and front blowing in. The side fan airflow isn't going to have enough time to heat up anyways. It'll basically blow in and the air will be directed right towards the H50. I suppose if you don't want to swap it around, having the side as an exhaust would be the way to go. I personally wouldn't do it that way, but it's up to you.
    Hellfire says thanks.
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There's no better way than checking it out since it's hard to find anyone having the same hardware, same case and same fans...

I installed another case fan in my brother's pc recently

First I made it blow in - checked idle & load temps.
    Then I made it exhaust, and checked idle and load temps once more...

Finally I chose what gave me the lower temperatures. I'd suggest you try the same, it just involves switching the fan's orientation.
    Hellfire says thanks.
  6. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    hm depends where your case is placed tbh
    if you have a fan blowing into your case from the back past your rad, your just going to be circulating hot air, so i'd agree with erocker front as intakes
    (can't see why anyone would want them as out) and side as intakes as well
    (mine are like that, pics are on here somewhere not that i have the case closed that often :laugh::wtf::D)

do tests (it'll give ya something to do ;)) then compare the results
    Hellfire says thanks.
  7. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Cheers, I've swapped the side fan as an intake for now to see what it does, I will leave it for a while but it seems to me my GPU has lost 2/3c and the fan on the GPU is running slower, so could be good.

I agree about the H50 fan as an exhaust, I understand it is pushing hot air in however Corsair recommend for the best cooling ability of the Rad to have the fan blowing cold air onto the radiator instead of pulling hot air off. as this offers better performance.
  8. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have your same fans and case, but only a 120mm intake at the front, 80mm intake at the side, 80mm exhaust at the rear and the PSU's 120mm exhaust.
    It keeps the E8400 (oc'd at 4Ghz) below 58 degrees while crunching at 100% cpu usage and the GPU never goes over the high 70's while playing games like Metro2033 (which apparently is the new Crysis ;)) the GPU only reaches 85 degrees in Furmark and only if in xtreme burning mode.

Now your case is much better than mine...