• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fiji and HBM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
upload_2015-6-22_21-45-49.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...ds-radeon-fury-video-cards-and-fiji-gpu-core/

I'm kinda getting tired of you evangelizing AMD. They're a company making GPUs and CPUs, not a religion.

I'm basing this on the fact that you started yet another article, finding a new source to say the same thing. At this point, you're either not reading through the plethora of existing articles here, or simply don't care because you're deeply entrenched in the fan boy mentality. Let's review:
AMD Fiji implementation detailed - news section - TPU
http://www.techpowerup.com/212740/amd-fiji-hbm-implementation-detailed.html
AMD Fiji block diagram, indicating cool and quiet running - news section - TPU
http://www.techpowerup.com/213695/amd-fiji-block-diagram-revealed-runs-cool-and-quiet.html

You could have reasonably included this in either of those threads, rather than making another. If you continue polluting this forum with copies of the same information I'll be asking the moderators to intervene in the future.

Edit:
Honestly, I'm tired of both sides of this insanity. Neither AMD nor Nvidia is doing anything ground breaking yet. They're stuck on the same node, and treading water. They've gotten communities like TPU into an uproar, with nothing to actually be excited about. Consider me too tired to continue giving a crap about any of this. My only pleasure left is taking fan boys with me on this spiral into bitterness.

Someone's sounding like a big shiny dickhead. I wonder who that could be?^^^
i would not have posted that if i seen the article.. the forbes article was just rich in content and could spark several conversations but it appears some people just need a hug or something..
good thing i got several threads to help fight off the troll haha

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Come on @xfia, you're not helping AMD or those of us that buy their products; you're just making us look bad.

Nobody needs to convince the Internet of how great AMD is, how Nvidia is the devil, or whatever it is you're trying to do.

Not even Morpheus tried this hard with Neo

how could it not help to educate.. what if a few people stop being cynical and start understanding trends in technology better.
i mean someone spitting off a bunch stuff that is almost blah blah blah to me trying to be smart finishes by saying api overhead wont really affect performance yet microsoft and amd and demostrate much higher performance with lower latency.
there is just much that is fact that goes largely ignored because of misleading research by reviewers and bad information on forums.
they want people to have better information and not just amd and microsoft are taking initiative but also the oem's with more informative marketing.
i can give the business practice stuff a rest because i think everyone knows how i feel about that haha

i guess i interrupted some riveting conversation happening.. tho it doesnt seem that way.
maybe it was on that so informative and tasteful article that amd doesnt trust its own cpu's?
anyone actually wanna talk about real things going on technologically or just argue about facts?
strange @erocker closed the one that further proves what i have been saying about the mods around here being cynical and not listening to what engineers have been saying for years and didnt close this one that was already a article i didnt see.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'm going to throw out a pedantic thought about the graphic shown in the intial post.
"Short" is not a unit of measurement, so how can something be two times shorter, surely it is .5 of the length, or half the length!

I'm going to throw out a pedantic thought about the graphic shown in the intial post.
"Short" is not a unit of measurement, so how can something be two times shorter, surely it is .5 of the length, or half the length!
thats a good point.. i think its really just for marketing like 2x just looks better to people than .5.
it certainly shows a level of optimization on 28nm thought impossible by some

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
@xfia, despite the fervent tirades we see on forums, please understand that an awful lot of us do read multiple sources about technology.
It's actually not news that HBM is super efficient, its been well known for a very long time. Reposting from Forbes isn't helpful. It's a financial based news regurgitator that is slow with tech innovations.
If you do like science and tech, go to phys.org it'll blow your mind. Also makes the fluff we all argue about on TPU look utterly insignificant.
Real science is way better than AMD or Nvidia.

how could it not help to educate.. what if a few people stop being cynical and start understanding trends in technology better.
i mean someone spitting off a bunch stuff that is almost blah blah blah to me trying to be smart finishes by saying api overhead wont really affect performance yet microsoft and amd and demostrate much higher performance with lower latency.
there is just much that is fact that goes largely ignored because of misleading research by reviewers and bad information on forums.
they want people to have better information and not just amd and microsoft are taking initiative but also the oem's with more informative marketing.
i can give the business practice stuff a rest because i think everyone knows how i feel about that haha

You have a lot of trust in companies that make money off this information. I am not a cynic and I do think it's great that they Microsoft has finally fixed overhead in DX12 but how many games have a significant API overhead bottleneck? If developers didn't make their games based on what was possible at the time then they would have a poor performing game and that would kill PR and sales.

My best speculation is that future games will have more potential, current games if updated to DX12 and take advantage of new API improvements will range from decent FPS improvement to minor increases depending on game.

On to the topic.

HBM is revolutionary, no one can deny that if they look at history and understand the technology. The gain in board real estate alone is amazing and that's not taking in to account the power improvements, extra bandwidth, simplicity of block design and others I can't think of. It seems to be the next evolution of VRAM and I like it. I don't know how much performance will be gained by having all that extra memory bandwidth (I am an overclocker and like all other overclockers we know the what the real world benefits of getting more memory bandwidth are and they are slim compared to increasing core clocks) The other concern is the 4GB of VRAM, if we're to assume 4k, it may become an issue in some circumstances and if the trend continues games will continue to use more and more VRAM in the future, obviously plateauing eventually (likely around the times when consoles are at their limit). Compression technologies can only go so far if lossless, look at audio, when was the last breakthrough with lossless audio codecs?

I could say so much more about it all but will stop there.

I never mislead anyone when I post a reply, everything I write is plausible and not pandering to either company or fan-boyism, if I am wrong in anything I will concede based on testable results.

You're not informing people of the facts you are giving us information from slides from the the companies that are selling this product. You need to have a conversation on the topic/technology, further the conversation by bringing constructive arguments and points. Stop taking AMD's and Microsoft's AND NVidia's AND any companies word about their own product that are trying to make a profit from.

i could agree with you about the trend of vram usage except the latency improvement with dx12 appears to mean a lot including that vram bandwidth needs will be reduced and no one will need to worry about having 4gb for 4k.
the way that dx12 is implemented is that more of it is a standard especially regarding the command buffer and async shaders. it will make engines for dx11 obsolete but visual enhancement tools will still be popular.
there is more regarding built in bare mental optimizations for specific architecture's so strengths can be well exploited.
i dont think it would be bad information to say it would be wise for buyers to wait on a nv gpu for them to demonstrate significant api overhead reduction in dx12.
not saying that nv couldnt pull a ace but microsoft and amd have been working together for years on the game systems improving amd's api overhead and exploiting the strengths of gcn.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Edit:
Honestly, I'm tired of both sides of this insanity. Neither AMD nor Nvidia is doing anything ground breaking yet. They're stuck on the same node, and treading water. They've gotten communities like TPU into an uproar, with nothing to actually be excited about. Consider me too tired to continue giving a crap about any of this. My only pleasure left is taking fan boys with me on this spiral into bitterness.

Aye, this is Molyneux level hype, but all around.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Just let the 25th come and let's see for ourselves.

Yeah, what else do we have to do but finally look at benches vs speculate. Arkham Knight is a mess and will probably take some time to clean up, so might as well nerd out on the Fury vs 980 Ti debacle. :(

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Kingston FURY Beast, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Advanced Edition
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB (M.2), Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB (SATA)
Display(s) 27" Ozone DSP27 Pro
Case Fractal Design Define S2
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR444
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12II-620 Evolution
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO SE
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Home x64
I have a special issue against the exclamation mark spam in these topic titles!!! Really, exclamation marks don't belong to topic titles and just make you look immature.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
good thing i got several threads to help fight off the troll haha

Meanwhile, in the real world, somebody who makes several threads consisting of largely the same thing gets banned for forum spam. I don't think the thread should be closed, and perhaps you shouldn't even receive a warning, after all, you've not really done anything wrong.

I would however recommend you take a good hard look at yourself and how you've behaved in each of these threads, and what the general self-fulfilling purpose of them is, and consider how the community is going to view you from now on.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
i guess i interrupted some riveting conversation happening.. tho it doesnt seem that way.
maybe it was on that so informative and tasteful article that amd doesnt trust its own cpu's?
anyone actually wanna talk about real things going on technologically or just argue about facts?
strange @erocker closed the one that further proves what i have been saying about the mods around here being cynical and not listening to what engineers have been saying for years and didnt close this one that was already a article i didnt see.
I could not care less about the topic. The thread was closed due to you spamming news articles, most of which are on the same topics. Nobody likes a blabbermouth.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
What?! Since when are "real things" and "facts" two different things?
I could not care less about the topic. The thread was closed due to you spamming news articles, most of which are on the same topics. Nobody likes a blabbermouth.
Yes, but no one like an arrogant ass either. Even more so when they can't even back up their own claims with anything other than AMD PR propaganda. I'm also getting tired of the constant rhetoric that I'm seeing in just about every post Xfia is making.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
This article is hilarious, comparing die size to die size plus memory footprint woo ~60% smaller, my sides are in orbit
let's compare actual die size

Just shows you how much forbes doesn't know
I hope AMD put as much money into R&D as they did marketing.

i wanted to insert everything the threads i already had but they felt largely crapped up to.. yes partially due to me but im not the best at handling a hardcore troll that has nothing to do with anything but insulting. i could be nicer all around and yeah its been a curse and blessing for me how quickly i can learn compared to some.
not to go on.. yeah sorry for being a ass @mods

i could agree with you about the trend of vram usage except the latency improvement with dx12 appears to mean a lot including that vram bandwidth needs will be reduced and no one will need to worry about having 4gb for 4k.
the way that dx12 is implemented is that more of it is a standard especially regarding the command buffer and async shaders. it will make engines for dx11 obsolete but visual enhancement tools will still be popular.
there is more regarding built in bare mental optimizations for specific architecture's so strengths can be well exploited.
i dont think it would be bad information to say it would be wise for buyers to wait on a nv gpu for them to demonstrate significant api overhead reduction in dx12.
not saying that nv couldnt pull a ace but microsoft and amd have been working together for years on the game systems improving amd's api overhead and exploiting the strengths of gcn.

I am not sure how you see lower latency lowering VRAM usage, unless I am missing something that makes no sense.

Most of the optimizations being implemented in DX12 are already in Mantle, did you know this? All of the big numbers you see thrown around about "**% performance increase over DX11" by Microsoft and AMD are just % improvements on that specific area of the API and are not a direct % increase on FPS. If you look at Mantle vs DX11 numbers in actual games the performance improvement is on average only +%5 if you have a good Intel CPU. The only area Mantle really shows it's legs is when there's a CPU bottleneck, I expect AMD created Mantle to offset their lower than Intel CPU performance and they succeeded to an extent. I don't understand what what you mean by this statement "the way that dx12 is implemented is that more of it is a standard" you'll have to clarify that for me.

If Mantle is any indication of the performance we'll get from DX12 then it's equivalent to an overclock of you GPU. This is only achievable if the games support DX12 which is quite a ways off too.

Wait for an NVidia GPU to demonstrate API overhead reduction? You know that 3DMark has a draw call benchmark for DX11/12 & Mantle right? The API overhead/Latency/Draw Call Benchmark are all basically the same. The API overhead is measured in ms which is latency, with a reduction of this the GPU can receive more draw calls from the CPU. This test has been done with current NVidia GPUs and they get great numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.