1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Finally Ready to Build :-)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by 5Babies, Feb 11, 2009.

1. 5Babies

5Babies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All,

Been quite a few months since I was here asking for help, alot of people gave me good ideas & suggestions on what would be good parts & which were compatible with each other.
    Needless to say, when I finally had the $$$, some of the parts were outdated & discontinued.
    So I had to find new parts all over again, & I'm proud to say I did it on my own :D

The Specs are listed under my avator in the column.
    Haven't built it yet, plan on doing that this weekend, as I'm just waiting on my anti-static wrist strap & mat to arrive this week.

If I've left anything out, please feel free to let me know.

Also just one minor question, seen as though I'll have an anti-static mat, could i build my pc on my computer rm floor which is carpet?
    Just that I'll have my old pc on getting instructions on how to build my new pc.

Thanks

2. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I don't give a crap about anti-static stuff. I build on my bed, even wearing a woollen sweater :D

madmanjohn says thanks.
  3. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I've never used anti-static mat or wrist strap even though I have both available to me through work. I'm yet to have a single problem due to static. Take the precaution if you like though, it certainly won't hurt.

Hope you're not planning on playing latest high end games with a 8600GT, if you are you might want to consider getting something better. Even reduce spending on the CPU for greater GPU. If you're not gaming then the 8600GT will do just fine though. :toast:

4. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think a lot depends on if you have carpets and pets at home. since i have both i occasionally get a static shock when touching things so in my case it makes sense to ground or wear a strap. i still recomend that you err on a side of caution and at least touch an unpainted metal object before handling hardware and do your build on a wooden (or any non-carpeted) floor or table.

5. Haven New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a pretty reckless builder. I never use ASB's or wristbands.

Infact, i'm so manly I use a magnetic screwdriver.

madmanjohn says thanks.
  6. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol well your lucky that screwdriver hasn't f'ed something up. I don't use the mats or straps either, I just always have one hand touching the unpainted metal of the case before I touch any components.

7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always use a magnetic screwdriver as well, never really though much of it. So long as power is fully flushed it should be fine. I suppose I should maybe get another though.....

8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    hey girl, glad to see you finally made it back. :)

Nice build you got there, looks awfully familair. Nice choice going with the e8500, it's priced has dropped nicely since we talked about your build. Defienently a nice addition to the build.

About the static mat, you don't have to worry about that. Just make sure you keep yourself grounded(touch the metal of the case before you touch any of the components going into the computer) and if possible, be on a floor with no carpet.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a solid build. Post some benches once its done

10. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    As long as the screwdriver isn't powered by some sort of super magnet it's really not going to affect PC parts. ASB's and ASM? What the hell are those? I just touch the PS to ground myself out.

Looks like a good build! Congrats on the first!

11. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    15" meaning that 1024x768 resolution is enough for great pic quality 8600GT would do the job just fine.

12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:

she's building this computer for a basic home computer and for the kids to play kiddie games on. Here's the original build thread-

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=71153

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. 5Babies

5Babies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi BarbaricSoul

Took a bit longer than I expected, but yes I finally made it back :D

Actually changed a few things since original list for my build, the case for one, this one I've got now is sooo much nicer :cool:

I had to get the e8500, shopped around till I found it for $270, cheapest that you can find it over here. Got the Mobo for a bargin as well $185, everywhere else i looked they wanted over $230, got the Corsair Memory instead of the patriot.

All up I got the whole system for $865, so I saved myself at least $400, that's not inc the cost of someone else building it for me. So much cheaper doing it myself & It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be :slap:

Just hit a snag with the cord for the fans as you noticed in my other post.

Will definately post the pics when it's on & running.

14. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    ive used a magnetic screwdriver countless times, even to get a screw out that i dropped inside the mobo. sounds crazy i know, but ive never had a problem, just make sure you touch the screw and none of the boards.

15. 5Babies

5Babies New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK I got the fan situation sorted out, going to hook everything up to the mains, cross fingers it doesn't blow up ha ha ha.

Will post pics once she's booted up with the software etc.

should be all done by the end of the weekend.

16. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    magnetic screwdrivers be damned- the only thing that it will affect is the 10.240 timebase crystal- usually oval shaped like an uncured piece of rice somewhere on the board-

over 100 builds with no wrist strap or ground mat- i use linoleum floor and bare feet-:roll:

good luck - will watch for the first post

17. 5Babies

5Babies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well she's working :D

I want to install the 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium OS, but I need to know if my new computer is compatible with the 64-bit Windows Vista OS?

got the above from microsofts website

I've tried looking at my mobo's website & all my other hardware, but not being up to date on all the computer talk, I've got no idea what I'm looking at.

So was just wondering if someone could look at my specs on the left & find out for me pretty please:)

I currently have the 32-bit Vista on my old Pc, but I really want to upgrade on my new build.

Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks

18. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    By reading your specs you can run Vista 64 fine :toast:
    Your ram though is confusing me 2gig or 4? Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D XTREME 2GB

19. 5Babies

5Babies New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the quick reply.:D

my ram is only 2GB for now, the twin part is just the name Corsair is using for that particular ram modules.

20. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if only 2 gigs not sure if i would "upgrade" to Vista 64 IMO:) I would stick with vista x86
    till you upped to 4 gigs:toast:

21. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Your computer is fully compatable with 64 bit OS's Babies. If you already have 64 bit vista, go ahead and install it. When you can afford it, buy another 2 gigs of ram(try to get the exact brand and model you just bought). 4 gigs of RAM and the 64 bit OS (so your computer will use the full 4 gigs or RAM) will do wonders for your family video/picture work.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. 5Babies

5Babies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here she is!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Finally finished, now up & running, couldn't be happier :D

Had a few hurdles along the way, but I'm proud of what I did, my first build & more than happy with the outcome.

Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all who helped me, you know who u r :D

Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  23. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    You do realize self-building is addictive? :D

5Babies says thanks.
  24. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That 8600GT needs to be dropped. Damn old!!! Get something like a HD4850 or GTX 260 (216 SP)

5Babies says thanks.
  25. 5Babies

5Babies New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, which brings me to my next question, the graphics card that I've got installed doesn't let me run my pics as a screen saver. On the screen saver settings it says that my " computers video card can't play themes"
    Why is this? and What video card do I need to get?
    I use my computer for storing all my kids pics & videos, i edit them & make DVD's from them all. I really want my kids pics for my screen saver, on my old pc I had them as a slide show.
    So any suggestions in a resonable price range for me would be greatly appreciated alot:D