• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FireGL-X3 12pipe --> 16pipe MOD (HELP)

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Help requested from forum-experts;

I've got a FireGL X3 (AGP) which comes stock with 12 pipes. However, it is built on the R420 (or R420GL). The BIOS looks like it has no pipes disabled, so I think it is the laser-cut that takes it to 12 pipes. So I did the hardware mod with a silver-trace-pencil thing to fix the laser cut.

However, after reboot, still 12p. I tried reflashing the BIOS, but still 12p. Can anyone shed any light on the data below. Is it possible the laser-cut hardware fix didn't work properly?

ATI Tool:
Device ID: 4A4D
Chip: R420GL
Interface: AGP
Active Pipes:12
CONFIG_DIE_FUSES: 0xEFF7FFFF
CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES: 0xFFFFFD5F
CONFIG_ROM_FUSES: 0x220
GB_PIPE_SELECT: 0x3FE4

From what I understand, the fifth hex digit, "F" in DIE_FUSES means that all 16 pipes are working on the GPU.

From what I understand, the last hex digit, "F" in SUBSTRATE_FUSES means that the laser-cut WAS fixed.

However, ATI tool still says 12 pipes.

Attachments

• ATI BIOS FireGL-X3 9.004.001.017.zip
    30.5 KB · Views: 200
Help requested from forum-experts;

I've got a FireGL X3 (AGP) which comes stock with 12 pipes. However, it is built on the R420 (or R420GL). The BIOS looks like it has no pipes disabled, so I think it is the laser-cut that takes it to 12 pipes. So I did the hardware mod with a silver-trace-pencil thing to fix the laser cut.

However, after reboot, still 12p. I tried reflashing the BIOS, but still 12p. Can anyone shed any light on the data below. Is it possible the laser-cut hardware fix didn't work properly?

ATI Tool:
Device ID: 4A4D
Chip: R420GL
Interface: AGP
Active Pipes:12
CONFIG_DIE_FUSES: 0xEFF7FFFF
CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES: 0xFFFFFD5F
CONFIG_ROM_FUSES: 0x220
GB_PIPE_SELECT: 0x3FE4

From what I understand, the fifth hex digit, "F" in DIE_FUSES means that all 16 pipes are working on the GPU.

From what I understand, the last hex digit, "F" in SUBSTRATE_FUSES means that the laser-cut WAS fixed.

However, ATI tool still says 12 pipes.

The fuse values should be different after the hard mod (CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES should be changed). Show your fuse values befor and after the mod and please tell me which exactly bridge was laser cutted (left?).

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
1./ Unfortunately, I don't have a "before" reading. ATI Tool is not compatible with "large fonts" 120dpi setting, which I normally run my machine at (@1600x1200 + cleartype). I didn't go through the process of uninstalling drivers to get the "before" readings. Sorry about that... I know it would be very helpful if I had. >>> W1izzard. In your next ATI Tool release, please allow the resizing of the ATI Tool window, or make it a bit bigger, so that it is compatible with 120DPI mode.

2./ Left bridge was cut.

UPDATE

16 pipes unlocked! (According to ATI Tool). The difference between yesterday and today is a reinstall of the ATI FireGL drivers. I had not gone through this process, but was using ATI Tool on driverless install. I guess this was my mistake: ATI Tool must be READING .ini information from the DRIVERS and not looking at the card directly.... OR requires the drivers to access the card. However, since ATI was REPORTING 12 pipes without drivers, there was no indication this was a false read. >>> W1izzard. In your next ATI Tool release, please look into this issue: if no drivers installed, ATI Tool is reporting the wrong pipes. If the drivers are needed, then information should be withheld with a "no drivers installed... please install drivers" rather than presenting the user with false information.

System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
This card should have 16pipes already, if you do have a 12pipe version then a hard mode is the only way that would be possible.

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
The ATI FireGL-X3 is 12 pipe out of the box. See http://www.ati.com/products/fireglx3-256/index.html. Careful reading "Features: Graphics Architecture" and "Graphics Technology" where is can be a bit confusing.

I don't know why ATI cut pipes from 16 to 12. The BIOS and the GPU core are compatible with 16 pipes. Perhaps it was to leave some headroom for a FireGL-X4 what would have higher specifications... a product they ditched after moving to PCIe and the new Vxxxx range?

1./ Unfortunately, I don't have a "before" reading. ATI Tool is not compatible with "large fonts" 120dpi setting, which I normally run my machine at (@1600x1200 + cleartype). I didn't go through the process of uninstalling drivers to get the "before" readings. Sorry about that... I know it would be very helpful if I had. >>> W1izzard. In your next ATI Tool release, please allow the resizing of the ATI Tool window, or make it a bit bigger, so that it is compatible with 120DPI mode.

2./ Left bridge was cut.

UPDATE

16 pipes unlocked! (According to ATI Tool). The difference between yesterday and today is a reinstall of the ATI FireGL drivers. I had not gone through this process, but was using ATI Tool on driverless install. I guess this was my mistake: ATI Tool must be READING .ini information from the DRIVERS and not looking at the card directly.... OR requires the drivers to access the card. However, since ATI was REPORTING 12 pipes without drivers, there was no indication this was a false read. >>> W1izzard. In your next ATI Tool release, please look into this issue: if no drivers installed, ATI Tool is reporting the wrong pipes. If the drivers are needed, then information should be withheld with a "no drivers installed... please install drivers" rather than presenting the user with false information.

Yes it was the second step reinstalling of the drivers because the same happen on my X850PRO VIVO AGP flashed to XT PE. With the current fuse readings and proper bridge connection it must have 16 pipes :) (you have already fix that). The connection of the bridge should affect the last digit of the CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES: 0xFFFFFD5F (usually it changes to F).