• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashed ZOTAC 2060 with Gigabyte 2060 vBIOS

JonniB79

Hello!
I have this GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GEFORCE RTX 2060 12GB 192BIT GDDR6 - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/zotac-rtx-2060-twin-fan.b9334

I bought it second hand used, and quickly became annoyed, because this GPU does not stop the fans when idled, everything else was just fine for me!
The lower the RPMs go, is 32%, at around 1200RPM
After some time googling I learned I could flash another GPU VBIOS, into mine, so I could make the fans stop when idled!

I googled a bit and I found this GPU - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-rtx-2060-windforce-oc.b9326

After comparing everything and their mothers... I concluded they were identical, but the Gigabyte model has the "Idle Fan Stop" feature! :)

So, praying I wouldn´t damaged my GPU permanently, I flashed the VBIOS from Gigabyte into ZOTAC with NVFLASHK.

!!SUCCESS!!

Rebooted and now I have stopped fans at idle! :D
Already made a bunch of comparisons in GPU-Z and several games, GTAV, Tomb Raider, Days Gone, Last of Us... and runned Heaven Benchmark 4.0 flawlessly! :D

Things you should now, after flash, in case you want to do the same...

The card runs silent than, but also, hotter than.
As the card now can stop the fans, also, they are 32% slower, when the fans are at 100% in Gigabyte VBIOS in reality they are at 68% of ZOTAC VBIOS.
Also you get a few more MHZ, 1680MHz vs 1650 MHz... its residual... but its there!
In GPU-z the manufacturer changes to Gigabyte.

Tips:
I use MSI Afterburner to control the FANs curve, so I made the fans reach 100% at 60ºC, and managed to get a maximum of 71ºC for a few seconds, average 67ºC.
I let the fans start only if the card reaches 46ºC, and when idled is always at 43ºC ~ 45ºC rarely goes 46ºC or above... if it goes, I`m playing... and at 60ºC, reaches 100%, around 2100RPM.

That´s it! Hope I helped someone, and if you´re thinking about doing the same, it works, its just a matter of weighting the pros and cons!
If you have any suggestions or ideas... please share!

Thanks for reading and sorry for my poor english and long reading!