1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Forcing Tessellation off in AMD CCC? Comparison screenshots with 13.5 or newer driver

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Ephremius, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Ephremius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone have some comparison shots of any modern games with tessellation on and off with the latest drivers? Turning off tessellation in CCC increases my fps, and I can't really tell much of a difference, but if I could see it side by side I might change my mind... if anyone has some pics laying around comparing this with recent drivers, please post.

Cheers.

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

This maybe

Screens shots under benchmarks
    read here

atb (all the best)

Law-II

FordGT90Concept and Ephremius say thanks.
  3. Ephremius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I will leave the option at defualt, AMD Optimized then. That dragon screenshot especially won me over, dem spikes just popped outta no where :D

4. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Unigine Heaven is a very extreme case.
    Games don't use tessellation anywhere as much as it does.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Tesselation is stupid to begin with because no one freakin uses it properly. The point of tessellation was to INCREASE performance without sacrificing visual quality. Instead, EVERYONE did the exact opposite. Decreased performance without actually visually increasing performance. Making some idiotic side by side comparisons of "smooth" models is pointless if 99% of the game world is still made of squared objects that should be round.

It's the same as it was with LOD, except LOD was actually there with purpose to increase performance without sacrificing much (or any) of quality. I don't get it why everyone has gone in the opposite direction with tessellation which is the same thing as LOD, just evolved to be better.

I'd much rather see tessellation to be used for performance purposes and not quality. And then should artists themselves make round objects where theymatter (like rifle ironsights). Because all the tessellation BS doesn't seem to do much about such important stuff but it does churn out millions o polygons for some stupid NPC models no one gives a damn about.

erocker and Zubasa say thanks.
  6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i swear the difference between non tesselated and tesselated is over done in that benchmark. I know there's a difference. But i've played dx9 games where steps are more distinguished than in those pictures, same with roofs, and it didn't require any tesselation. I think tesselation can add superior quality but i don't think its the only answer for better detail as its made out to be.

That dragon statue if the perfect example. as if dx9 couldn't render spikes on the things tail or chest without tesselation.

7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Actually the purpose of tesselation was to add polygon detail much more efficiently than it could have been before by cloning poly triangles, not to increase performance. So it's meant to be a way of adding lots of detail with less performance hit than alternative methods would have resulted in.

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Tessellation is still a bleeding edge thing. As more developers transition to 8th generation consoles (which all support tessellation), we'll see more and more use of tessellation in games.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Yes it is; it is a benchmark

Note: tesselated surfaces were not implemented for DirectX 9 engines so there is no comparison to be made.

I just gave an example of what tesselation did within a game engine; that implemeted this rendering tech

atb

Law-II

10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The tessellation in Unigine is really over exaggerated with the purpose of putting a strain on the GPU, because it is a benchmark. Tessellation in most games is much less drastic except for some that really go insane with it.

Where did you get that it was supposed to increase performance? It has always been a way to increase visuals with a performance penalty, but the performance penalty wouldn't be as large as other methods of increasing polygon count. It creates huge polygon counts. So yeah, I guess it could be said that it increases performance over other methods of rendering those polygons, but since without tessellation those polygons wouldn't be rendered at all tessellation was never meant to increase performance, it was always about visuals.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I read a long time ago that tessellation can be used to render many objects faster--like units in an RTS or people in a crowd.

Edit: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476340(v=vs.85).aspx
    Mostly about increasing detail, for sure.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that is basically what I'm saying. It improves visuals at a lower performance penalty, but there is still a performance penalty.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  13. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    It'd be nice to see a comparison of a rendered say battle with lots of units done in reg dx11 vs the same test using tesselation techniques of today, just to see what kind of performance tesselation aids with

14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yes, because of the aforementioned cloning aspect. Where it has the biggest hit is not in multiple duplicates, but in large objects that have unique and intricate detail.