• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

free blu ray player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i got some new blu rays and they wont play on cyberlink dvd 12 or 14, gives hdcp error code 0107.

i dont know why this happens or how to fix this. it plays some of my blu rays while others wont launch or give an error.

now im looking for another freeware that can play blu ray but it looks like theres just malware junk out there and you cant find anything useful.

i tried leawo which is kinda ok but it needs jre for the menu, after updating jre the leawo app became broken though and refused to launch or play the blu ray again. when the menu is up it cant be navigated by the mouse nor the keyboard. this s*** is insane.

can someone help me, are there any legit freeware blu ray players or what can i do?

is there a way to use vlc on this?

update:
ok. i fixed the hdcp 0107 error by cleaning display driver out with ddu and reinstalling latest nvidia driver.

i suspect the issue happened because i installed the driver before with absolute minimal installation by nvcleanstall, suspect something was missing thats there again now after having reinstalled the official untweaked driver package.

and it seems i can watch everything again now with cyberlink dvd.

i also found theres a cyberlink power dvd 22 essential which can do everything and is free.

blu ray SUCKS

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
i suspect the issue happened because i installed the driver before with absolute minimal installation by nvleanstall, suspect something was missing thats there again now.
If you care to report it you should in the nvcleaninstall forum though w1zz might make you do some testing.

if it does have something to do with it my guess is that it would be the DRM component since that is required by BD to function iirc.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
thankfully most of the drm was made by inept monkeys pigeons so it's rather easily circumvented

ive read that sony decided to remove dvd and blu rays completely from commerce in 2024.

theres also an issue with alt tabbing and exclusive fullscreen. with two monitors when i run a game and alt tab the player stops says gpu driver is incompatible. game needs to run fullscreen window / borderless for that to not crash the player when alt tabbing.

first time i used blu ray i had a vga monitor and a hdmi connected. it couldnt play on the vga monitor, but you could launch it on the hdmi one and pull the video window half over to the vga monitor so it could technically run on a non digital display but it was forcibly prevented by the software. incredible!

vlc, libaacs and makemkv are your friends
can you send a guide on how to run this?

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
vlc, libaacs and makemkv are your friends
Yep. Great way to backup your library. However I don't think the guidelines here allows for more information. Google is your friend. Easy to find.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yep. Great way to backup your library. However I don't think the guidelines here allows for more information. Google is your friend. Easy to find.

Fun thing is that where I live we have a legal right to make copies of media we buy ("private copy" instead of "pirate copy", and that is baked into the price of digital storage, such as hard drives and smartphones, as a levy) but we do not have a legal right to bypass copy protection. What does every single piece of modern digital media you buy have? Copy protection.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Ok, first of all, bizarre as it sounds, most Blu-Ray drives for PC will not let you play UHD content anymore.

Ensure your drive is capable of playing movies and if its not, check if there is a cracked firmware for it:

Afterwards, you can try using VLC or MPC to play the discs.

Sometimes its better to rip the disc to your HDD/SSD with MakeMKV and watch it from there.

Fun thing is that where I live we have a legal right to make copies of media we buy ("private copy" instead of "pirate copy", and that is baked into the price of digital storage, such as hard drives and smartphones, as a levy) but we do not have a legal right to bypass copy protection. What does every single piece of modern digital media you buy have? Copy protection.

waiting for the day when all the stuff we bought digitally disappears from the library because as far as i know its only a right to use / access not a right of property. so you dont own the thing you only have the right to use it. probably ubisoft will be first to start with it since theyre already shutting down games and push people into subscriptions that leave you with nothing in the end.

"youll own nothing and be happy."

Ok, first of all, bizarre as it sounds, most Blu-Ray drives for PC will not let you play UHD content anymore.

Ensure your drive is capable of playing movies and if its not, check if there is a cracked firmware for it:

Afterwards, you can try using VLC or MPC to play the discs.

Sometimes its better to rip the disc to your HDD/SSD with MakeMKV and watch it from there.

my drive is HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS55 and im only using 1080p.

it came with a full version of cyberlink 12 and free upgrade to 14 but the12 doesnt even work anymore on newer discs.

ill check that vlc option out. ripping takes too much time though and id need a live playback.

blu ray was launched in 2006 but it still seems so half-baked, bugged and shady.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
waiting for the day when all the stuff we bought digitally disappears from the library because as far as i know its only a right to use / access not a right of property.

I'm talking about physical media.

I'm talking about physical media.
i know what youre saying. theres the right to make a backup copy but its prevented by the copy protect. so your right on the backup copy is infringed by the copy protect.

but i just wonder what someone would do if he buys a seperate blu ray player for tv and the player then stops playing back new discs at some point because the software is outdated and you have no way of updating it and now you would have to buy a new player thats also not guaranteed to work 100%. this stuff just seems to be not thought-out at the expense of the consumers and it shouldnt even be legal that way. well it is thought out on their end because what they do is in order to secure their copy protect they violate your right and ability on backup and even play back. the main thing for them is not that youre able to watch the movie but that youre unable to make a copy / "pirate" it so that in case of doubt the copy protect ensures youre inability to even play back the movie.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Looks like we have since run the course

Status
Not open for further replies.