1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Freeze with strange noise when playing any game.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phenomz, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Phenomz New Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't happen that much but when it does, it's annoying. I am normally playing and then this happens:

http://youtu.be/0Szf7SbFNAI

Nothing works, any key, mouse, ctrl+alt+del... nothing. All it does are those weird noises, coming from the headset and speakers, I don't know what to do.

what ISN'T:

-Updated drivers
    -PSU is new (corsair tx650v2)
    -MOBO is new (990FXA-UD3)
    -There's no dust anywhere
    -Every cable is correctly connected (did a disassembly 2 times)
    -I have NO overclock, everything is default
    -Reinstalled windows too
    -Updated BIOS...

what could it be?
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    is anything OCed? Also do a memtest86+ on the ram to rule that out. I have had this happen many times if my OC was not stable.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I was watching your video and then my PC crashed the same way! :eek: :wtf:

Nah, just kidding. :)

It looks like a memory problem. Try memtest like brandon suggested. However, even if it comes up clean, then it doesn't mean that the memory is ok. Could be bios timings are wrong somehow.

Try running with just one stick and see how it goes. Then run the other stick in the other slot and see how that goes too.

Sometimes it's just a dodgy bios, with its settings slightly corrupted. Remove the battery and short the pins to clear it then load defaults and see how that goes.

Do you have the latest bios? Flashing it should be quite safe even with an unstable PC, because you'll have a dual bios on that board.

Also, it's possible that the memory isn't seated properly, or there's dirt in the connectors (doesn't matter how clean your PC is otherwise).

Is your CPU running hot when this happens?

Try reseating your video card and make sure the contacts are clean.

Good luck and welcome to TPU. :toast:
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    A video card I had had to be downclocked slightly when I started having a similar crashes/freezes, specifically in 3D games, even Minecraft.
  5. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Did the monitor lose signal after the freeze or was black w/signal I cannot see in the video. If yes could be the video card too.
  6. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    I faced that problem barely a few months after buying MY new PC....(IT would give out a nasty sound and every thing will stop working,thou my monitor was working & movie playing froze..)

A friend of mine told me to remove the RAM stick & clean it with a good eraser and put it back in the slot... & My PC stopped crashing...

He told me sometimes it happens due to heat... Since then i keep my cae open...