• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Galaxy GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB DDR5_ HEAD SCRATCHER

Narley_Harley

Looking for possible solutions to my GPU issue...Really kind of confused at this point...
The Galaxy GeForce 650 Ti card I have is supposed to be the 1GB DDR5 version and is marked as such both on the box and labeled on the card itself. I am having an issue where Windows 7 (64Bit Pro) keeps throwing an error message in Device manager "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". I have rebooted, uninstalled the card, rebooted, run off the on-board card, verified all instances of any NVIDIA software and drivers were gone, rebooted...shut down, re-installed the GPU, still no love. Device manager recognizes the card as the NVIDIA GeForce 650 Ti, but refuses to utilize any of the NVIDIA drivers I have thrown at it, even using 5-6 previous versions. I get aggravated at this kind of stuff, so, I began digging. Running GPU Z, I find that this card has almost 3GB of DDR5 AND the BIOS version showing is none of the BIOS versions known to be used with this version of the Galaxy GeForce GTX650 Ti, not that I have found anyway...what the hell?? The card is refurbished...did they load the wrong BIOS when they did the refurb? Has this card been mislabeled and is something other than the Galaxy GeForce GTX650 Ti???...OH!! and BTW!! Clicking on the "Look Up" button in GPU Z, to look up the GPU it is analyzing....I am shown that the card is a "Club 3D GeForce 650 Ti" and NOT "Galaxy", wonder if Club 3D are the ones who did the refurb and loaded the wrong BIOS??..hell if I know...dazed & confused BIG Time..
Here are some screen shots of the results of my investigation...I verified that GPU Z is functioning properly by running it when I used the on-board GPU during troubleshooting...
Any assistance or intelligent input would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance....

Investigation snap shots:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
One thing is for sure, sonething is effed up there. Who refurbed it? Surely not the manufacturer, because 650Ti only game in 1GB and 2GB flavors.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
either the vbios was fubared by whatever ebay scammer you bought it from
or the card is JUNK

Narley_Harley

either the vbios was fubared by whatever ebay scammer you bought it from
or the card is JUNK

It's a refurb from Tiger Direct...used them for years...almost 20 years...even in the B2B arena....spent millions with them on the corp scene....never had an issue...I think the refurbisher fubared it (Club 3D)....waiting to hear back from TD, but Galaxy says it's not warrantied since it's a refurb but it clearly states on the site it's warranted by them for 3 mos. I'm just antsy and looking for answers.....

Narley_Harley

One thing is for sure, sonething is effed up there. Who refurbed it? Surely not the manufacturer, because 650Ti only game in 1GB and 2GB flavors.
I agree rtwjunkie...there are only 2 versions..I'm leaning towards "Club 3D" as the refurbisher...waiting to find out from TD

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I agree rtwjunkie...there are only 2 versions..I'm leaning towards "Club 3D" as the refurbisher...waiting to find out from TD
just return it
no sense fiddling with it

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
My gut tells me that TD got one pulled over on them and unknowingly passed a shoddy refurb on to you. I also dont think it was actually factory refurb as I have jad very good results on those types of purchases.

Hopefully you're not too late to return it to TD instead of trying to RMA with Galax.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
My gut tells me that TD got one pulled over on them and unknowingly passed a shoddy refurb on to you. I also dont think it was actually factory refurb as I have jad very good results on those types of purchases.

Hopefully you're not too late to return it to TD.
TD are crapola they use a lot of 3d party "market place" style vendors
the thing is they don't tell you that they do

Narley_Harley

Hopefully you're not too late to return it to TD instead of trying to RMA with Galax.
no, it wasn't a factory refurb, it states that a third party is the refurbisher...naa, not too late......just got it this past Tuesday.....no worries.....I'll get it replaced or cash back...like I said, I've dealt with TD for going on 20 years, spent millions in the corp arena, never had a problem, and if I did, they took care of it.....I just want my card to work......NOW!!! lol....oh well, have to be ready to deal with this kinda stuff when you go the refurb route haha...
I just think someone got in a hurry, grabbed either the wrong card with 3GB or the wrong BIOS for the card...either way, I can see how it could happen....just a bummer it had to happen to me...sniff-sniff lol

Narley_Harley

no, it wasn't a factory refurb, it states that a third party is the refurbisher...naa, not too late......just got it this past Tuesday.....no worries.....I'll get it replaced or cash back...like I said, I've dealt with TD for going on 20 years, spent millions in the corp arena, never had a problem, and if I did, they took care of it.....I just want my card to work......NOW!!! lol....oh well, have to be ready to deal with this kinda stuff when you go the refurb route haha...
I just think someone got in a hurry, grabbed either the wrong card with 3GB or the wrong BIOS for the card...either way, I can see how it could happen....just a bummer it had to happen to me...sniff-sniff lol
at LEAST I know I ain't crazy....you guys can see that things just don't add up from what my investigation shows......all that crap is screwy....big time....the card reads as a GTX 650, yet has almost 3GB in it?? and the crazy BIOS version...man...what were THEY smokin' in the plant that day ??? LMAO!!

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
at LEAST I know I ain't crazy....you guys can see that things just don't add up from what my investigation shows......all that crap is screwy....big time....the card reads as a GTX 650, yet has almost 3GB in it?? and the crazy BIOS version...man...what were THEY smokin' in the plant that day ??? LMAO!!

Just return it. Be fine.

This is why I buy stuff from more reputable sellers. Most times you get what you pay for, other times you get this. It's just a GTX 650 Ti with a FUBAR BIOS flash that for some reason succeeded partially.