1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gameux.dll trying to access secure MS IP address

Discussion in 'General Software' started by NdMk2o1o, Jun 14, 2011.

1. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I have a shed lot of logs in comodo firewall that gameux.dll is trying to access IP 65.55.162.27 << looked up as an MS IP address , over port 443 (https) this is being blocked by comodo though in the firewall logs gameux.dll is trying port after port, seems to be in order aswell, basically this dll is trying to get to that secure MS IP address for some reason and is port scanning to get out.........

I can't find much info on this dll though it appears to be an MS one and the behaviour of it is worrying, why is it scanning all available ports to access that IP? if this was anyone but MS this would be considered virus/spyware behaviour. It's possibly harmless but still.

Anyone came across this?

Seems this dll corresponds to MS Games Explorer that was intro'd in Vista, doesn't explain why it is trying to send information to a secure MS IP address
  2. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why does the disk indexing service send out notifications to the microsoft server in redmond ?

news flash, microsoft knows all about what you do with your computer unless you defeat these spyware features.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My guess would be that it's trying to connect to information that the game explorer wants.
    What that information is could be ratings or other info to display to you in the GE.
    It probably was written to try different port in the event that a specific port was busy or became unavailable.
    Since you are blocking it, it is probably trying all the ports it has in it's list of valid ports.
  4. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Umm, no.
  5. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    yes

game explorer connects to the internet for age ratings/ system requirements

you can turn it off by clicking the 'options' button above the game explorer
    ron732 says thanks.
  6. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    when someone can explain why disk indexer sends volume reports and registry info to microsoft. I will be all ears.
  7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft updates, sometimes they add in information in the Game Explorer folder for the individual games; for example some of my games have little age ratings and some have no information. Its a long shot but either that or its hidden secret spyware.

EDIT: Okay lol seems like everyone else managed to post while i was typing, its like fastest to the finger in this forum.
  8. ron732

ron732

Thanks Received:
    cheesy999 you are correct. I was searching on MS Technet and found this:

"I recently encontered this problem again, and have since gathered more data about the problem, and solution.

The problem indeed lies with the game explorer. It will start when you first start a game that is not in the game explorer, and has not been installed into it by the game's installer (which most games do now). The game explorer detects it and adds the game to the list. It then attempts to gather more information about the game (rating, box art, etc). However, if it is unable to, the DLL will block in an endless loop of retries to the server to gather this information each time a game from the list is being started. This results in the game seemingly not loading. This being unable to can be due to a firewall blocking the connection on your computer.

To solve this problem, I disabled my firewall. I immediately saw the boxart for all the games pop up, and the games in question subsequently loaded again."

You can read the thread here:

Starting Games

It seems that disabling the Games Explorer stops this behavior.

Personally I wouldn't disable my firewall.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    cause Microsoft want to know what files poeple have on their computer, besides, its not as if they can do anything by knowing what you named your word document
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Legally if Microsoft found anything it wouldn't be able to act on it. If they where using spyware for non updating purposes its technically spying. I mean i doubt Microsoft would like me looking at there computer files.
  11. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a privacy issue period.
  12. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps more people would be conviced if you could explain how Disk Indexing and Games Explorer are related?
  13. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    A link to this information or a packet dump of the data sent, please.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  14. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    +1 to krejj, as a vista user where can i find this info

btw i think the comp needs a bump
  15. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    This. GameUX is Game Explorer (aka game browser in Vista/7).

I would verify though that gameux.dll is, in fact, made by Microsoft though and not some illicit spoof. The genuine file should be C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on 64-bit machines. It is between 2.4 and 2.7 MiB, the versin number should be similar to the OS number (6.#.OS Build number), the copyright field should be Microsoft Corporation but doesn't have a year, and the product name should be Microsoft Windows Operating System.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I know what it is, i said that in my post, what I don't know is what data its collecting and the constant port scanning is behaviour of spyware, it could just be collecting data for updates etc. We shall see as I have now turned off all updates and asked it not to collect any data/art etc from the web about my games. So it has no reason now to want to gain access to that IP.
  17. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I agree, NdM, let us know if it keeps trying to connect even though you have it shut off.

I can't find any information that gameux or the indexer is doing anythin insidious.
  18. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who said anything about insidious. Its just collecting registry and file system info and broadcasting it over the network. Who know what they do with it. I personally don't my personal information to be exsposed over the network. I also have no idea of what exactly is being broadcast becuase I don't have the ability to understand the output from the service.
  19. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Were still waiting for your proof... right now ur just being annoying
  20. Ubuntusario

Thanks Received:
    @NdMk2o1o I also use comodo, even a packet dump won't reveal its content since is encrypted. I also had comodo alert me this file wanted to send data to that ip I only have this problem with Winning Eleven 8
  21. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen several games that send your gaming progress to the manufacturer's servers (using HTTPS port 443, too)
  22. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'd say it's harmless.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    Nice threadnecro