1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GAMING on Plasma or LCD which is better?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DRDNA, Nov 13, 2009.

1. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    So TPU I want to procure a
    Samsung - 50" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV /Model: PN50B530S2F
    And I want to use it for my PC monitor, will this monitor be good for gaming?
    What should I be aware of?
    what are the benifits?
    Thank you TPU as my plasma knowledge is as of right now minimal.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    w1zzard and Solaris are the only two I know for sure that game on a plasma....maybe shoot them a PM, as they may not see the thread. Sorry I dont have any firsthand info for you.
    JrRacinFan and DRDNA say thanks.
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Plasma is nice, just don't let it sit at one image for a long time or you will experience burning. That's all the information I know. IIRC, LCD has a longer lifespan.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  4. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    lol... thats funny becuase that exactly all I know as well.
  5. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    A Plasma Display as far as I know is basically a flat CRT.
    Instead of a CRT, it uses gas in plasma state to light the screen.
    They work on the same principle, so I guess they are just as great in gamming as CRTs were.
    The only downside is the price really.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    DRDNA says thanks.
  6. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    Plasma would be best and the whole burn in thing dosent really happen anymore with the newer plasmas now these days. It will probably burn in if you keep the screen on for a day or two on the same image.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  7. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Thats what a Screen Saver is for. :toast:
    Modern OS shut down/stand by the screen after a while in idle anyways.
  8. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I read that only difference is that plasma has darker darks (or you can say blacks) so shadows would be darker and like someone said above some burning could occur if you let it sit, and someone says it doesnt happen anymore so....woo lol

I'd say wait for for OLED or something, I game on my mac and colors pop out and everything just looks great to be honest movies etc, really is true color
    DRDNA says thanks.
  9. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Plasma just looks amazing compared to LCD. Newer LCD's are on Par but i would say go Plasma as there usually cheaper than an LCD of the same quality. MOST plasmas that have burn in have a feature that cleans up the image, after a few weeks of doing this or "warming it up" you will experience less and less burn in.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  10. onry

onry

Thanks Received:
    i absolutely LOVE my 42" LG plasma monitor.
    1080I while gaming is awsome :D
    DRDNA says thanks.
  11. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Plasma. Reaction time is FAR better than with LCDs (almost non existant). That burn in thing does not happen anymore with the newer models, as far as I know they shift the picture a tiny bit around constantly. You don't notice that, but burning in is avoided. And they aren't that expensive anymore.

Got a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV, gaming with no blur effects whatsoever.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  12. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I love LCDs and they are great for gaming even at that size. However, a 50" Plasma of the same size is cheaper and with the 600Hz motion field, not even the 240Hz LCD can touch it, even the LED types. Also, with Plasma, you get a brighter field as well as darker darks. Burn in is pretty much non existent especially with many containing a "white wash" feature. You have more contrast ration as well, as most come with a standard 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (most are higher). I love my plasma, even though I don't use it for Computer use. I do play my Xbox 360 and Wii on it and watch HD TV and it is awesome (50" LG 720P Plasma, 800 bucks!). Love my LCD too but you are better with the Plasma. And Plasma and LCD pretty much have the same kind of lifespan now as most Plasmas have over 50,000 hours of use before any problems happen, even more so these days they come with 100,000 or 200,000 or more. My plasma has a 200,000 life span.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  13. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I have a 50" plasma samsung.

1 burn in does happen. HOWEVER it goes away quckly and as the TV ages it burns in less and less. my TV has pixel shift which shifts the entire screen a few pixels every few min. however this doesnt prevent burn in for example really bright things on a really dark background with etain in the screen for a few min. but remember its not so much and not that often the older it gets. it also has image burn fixing were i can tell it to scroll from pure black to pure white to wipe the image out. it also has a pure white mode. so you can see if anything is burned in. ghosting is non existant and the color is absolutely stunning shades are perfect and everything looks incredably clear. do yourself a favor and run HDMI from PC to TV to make it extra awesome. would i reccomend you getting one? absolutely.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I game on a 42" 720p panasonic plasma, I especially like how much more vibrant the colors are vs my desktop lcd, but it gets hot, that tv gets really hot.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  15. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Heh mine has four fans at the back, still gets hot. But that is nothing of concern really.
  16. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    any tv over 32 inchs and a LCD or Plasma will get hot. Even though in my experience Plasma gets way hotter. But hey just a great heater for the winter is all to me.

I save money on my bill with my PC and TV on no need for heat (electric blah)
  17. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    You can get Plasmas of comparable feature sets to LCDs at similar prices in several stores nowadays. Look at some bestbuy sunday ads.
  18. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Excellent information people! You people are the best! The very best! No other tech site can even compare to TPU...I am going to get the plasma! Thank you everyone for the feedback!
  19. cerver

cerver New Member

Thanks Received:
    LCD better for gaming, no burn in and brighter colors. Plasma is very nice for bluray and movies, looks more 3d like you can see the depth of the picture better.

bottom line, lcd vs plasms vs DLP = all in your own opinon, what ever looks best to your eye, trust your eye :)

-cheers
    DRDNA says thanks.
  20. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    if you do go with a large screen, just dont put on your desk where you would put your normal computer monitor!

i did that with a 42" and it was just abit overwhelming and made me abit sick when playing games!

I ended up downgrading to a dual 25.5" setup:toast:
  21. onry

onry

Thanks Received:
    i mounted my 42" plasma on the wall.
    sometimes i wish i had built my desk top wider so i can be farther away but very often lol