1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

General Hardware

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shadowdemonkid, Aug 29, 2008.

1. shadowdemonkid

shadowdemonkid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recently my computer has been restarting for some reason. I don't know if it is the graphics card but i doubt because it restarts before i play any video games. Sometimes it stays on for hours without any problem. Can anyone help me?
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you opened the case to see if its wearing a fur coat of dust on the inside?
  3. ckoons1

Thanks Received:
    sometimes overheating can cause that
  4. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    It could just an airflow/temperature problem. Check your BIOS and disable any auto-shutdown features that relate to temperature settings or at least increase their threshold value. If the problem goes away, then you know what it was.

Also, it could be a sign of a failing power supply or failing motherboard. If you have the ability to monitor your PSU voltages I would recommend you monitor them. I'm pretty sure Lavalys Everest has the ability to log them. Also, if you have any severe CPU/RAM/GPU overclocks, I would tune them down, or even set the values back to stock.
  5. shadowdemonkid

shadowdemonkid New Member

Thanks Received:
    no I have nothing overclocked. there is no dust in the system. the pc stays on if i don't play any games.
  6. TheShadowFL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then that tells the tale.....when you work the CPU, it fails. That's overheating! Pure and simple.

Remove the CPU cooling fan and thoroughly clean all the little blades and make sure that it's able to spin freely, then clean all the dirt out of the heat sink cooling fins.
    Replace the fan, once it's clean, and see if your computer will stay on when game playing.

While you're inside the case, look at the little silver topped can-type capacitors on the motherboard. If any are bunging or leaking a dark residue, your motherboard is going to need to be replaced.

Good Luck,
    The Shadow :cool:
    shadowdemonkid says thanks.
  7. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh and when you replace the fan... replace the thermal grease too! remember that without that paste your cpu will overheat even if you have the best heatsink ever (well... maybe i'm exaggerating)
    shadowdemonkid says thanks.