1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Getting ready to jump in the water

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by NeoCrisis, Dec 28, 2007.

1. NeoCrisis

NeoCrisis

Thanks Received:
    So I just got all the components for my water cooling system. Is there anything I should know before I start setting up? Tips, advice, and what not?

2. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    allow plenty of time, read all instructions thoroughly.

3. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree!

Plus make sure you test the set up for at least two days for any leaks, before you put all components in the case...
    Oh! and another thing... Use a flow indicator and anticorrusive fluid.

good luck with your new toy! :toast:

4. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lets see....

Everything they've said above ('cept the 2-day thing...I leak tested for about an hour...then I got a leak about 2 months later, more on that)

Do NOT use those sh*tty compression fittings they supply. That's where my leak came, on my chipset block with the crappy compression fittings. Leaked right onto the 2900pro...luckly the fluid was still 'non-conductive'...Didn't even know I had a leak until CPU temp rose above 60C

I recommend using two small zip-ties to secure the hoses to the fittings. Put the first tie on, and tighten all the way. Then put the second tie on opposite the existing one (so the excess tie is pointed the opposite way), and then secure it so the 'head' is 180-degrees from the first....wish I had a picture...I know I got the idea from someone here at TPU...

Be sure to bleed the lines a leak test without powering up your motherboard. There should be details on which two pins to short together in order to power your PSU without the motherboard (or anything else for that matter)....I used a paperclip to bridge the connections :D

Good luck :toast:

NeoCrisis says thanks.
  5. aspire

Thanks Received:
    Rinse out your radiator with vinegar.

Use worm drive clamps. They may be big and look kinda fugly, but nothing else will keep the tubing on as good.

Make sure you fill the system with coolant before turning it on. Pulled that one a couple weeks ago in a moment of stupidity... Burned my finger on the cpu block after i realized i hadn't added coolant....

Best performance is through straight distilled water with some biocide added.

NeoCrisis says thanks.