• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H BIOS bug (warning)

System Name Getting old!
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling About sufficient air cooling
Memory 4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 @1040Mhz
Video Card(s) Club 3D Radeon HD6950 1GB
Storage 120GB Kingston SSDNow 200V+, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Display(s) Crossover 27Q LED-P (lovely!)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Integrated -> optical -> HELIX P DSP
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H BIOS bug (RAM voltage warning)

Hello all. I have used this mobo for long time now and have been quite pleased. But few months back I started noticing weird lagging, sudden stops, blue screens and just hard resets. The desktop icons for example took really long time to load, which I've read is an indicator of RAM problem (tight timings, not enough voltage etc.)

I admit I have OC'd the hardware as hard as its able to go on air, but all temps and such have been in "safe" margins.

As the problem got worse and ultimately lead to not being able to boot to windows, I started looking BIOS with an sharp eye. And there it was, on the hardware monitor section...
RAM voltage 2.54 V!! And that means the mobo had been giving its maximum juice to my ram sticks for more than year and a half.

As I have EPP capable sticks, and they require 2.2 V, I've set them to that value. But that seemed to throw the voltages to max.

I started looking further, made annotation to one Finnish Gigabyte support forum about the subject (that Bios F7C grills ram sticks?). Then I tried different BIOS versions and they all had the same bug.

The ram voltage bug is very much linked to all common settings in the "OC" section in BIOS. CPU NB ratio and voltage, CPU ratio and voltage, ram voltage... the bug seemed to appear when any of the values below were set. (-> means "or higher")

CPU ratio: x14 ->
CPU voltage: +0,125 (1,375V) ->
NB ratio: x11 ->
NB voltage: +0,050 (1,35V) ->
RAM voltage: depending on other settings

So I'm asking if anyone else has seen this kind of behaviour and if there is other people with the same problem. I think the problem may not be present on the newer Phenom II's but I would like people who have this mobo, to check their RAM voltage from bios or HWMonitor (voltage VIN1).

I am not sure If my sticks are damaged, but after using them with normal voltages, I've still had some freezes and problems. :mad:

EDIT: I tested with the 2 Dominator sticks only and the bug didn't appear. So the bug will only be present when all RAM slots are in use.

Last edited:
System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
System Name Getting old!
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling About sufficient air cooling
Memory 4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 @1040Mhz
Video Card(s) Club 3D Radeon HD6950 1GB
Storage 120GB Kingston SSDNow 200V+, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Display(s) Crossover 27Q LED-P (lovely!)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Integrated -> optical -> HELIX P DSP
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
Now it seems neither pair of RAM slots are working in dual channel anymore.

Rig has gone to sh*t, bsod's, catalyst driver stops working all the time, sudden resets... you name it. Could faulty RAM/slots cause Catalyst issues?