1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 - Any Good?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by JTS, Nov 28, 2009.

1. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, I've just about had an absolute gut full with my current rig. I've been having random BSoD's for about a year and have come to the conclusion my P5Q-Pro has a possible memory controller issue.

(24hr p95 blend stable / 24hr memtest stable etc - yet still has random 'hardware related' crashes - the only original components left is the CPU and mobo)

I was going to upgrade anyway, but can't find any EVGA Classifieds (759/760 - only the SE editions are available x16/x8 CF :shadedshu ) and I've had enough of Asus.

I'm in Australia and there are only a few e-tailers I trust, so choices are limited.

I started looking for an alternative x58 board and found this in stock:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.au/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3251

And was wondering if anyone has any personal experience overclocking with it? There's not a lot of 'real world reviews' that I could find since it's so new.

I'll be pairing it with a i7 920 and will be air-cooled (for now). I'm aiming for a 'comfortable' OC between 3.6-3.8ghz.

Ideally I want to run two individual cards at x16, but I can't determine which slots are the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2. I have a sneaking suspicion they may be the physical slots 1 and 2 :(

Thanks in advance for any ideas, thoughts etc.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    www.pccasegear.com.au - trustworthy store

we've had quite a few threads with random issues with gigabyte x58 boards, but i dont know what models. most of the issues seem to stem around large amounts of ram/some ram slots not working.

JTS says thanks.
  3. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks mate. I've checked there and they only have the 4-way SLI board @ $749 which is far too much for slots I'll never use :(

If push comes to shove, I may just grab the EVGA X58 SLI LE and live with the x16/x8 until I go a single 5970 and leave dual cards behind.