• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte R9 280 3GB Doesnt boot

Hi guys, good night.
I need help with my recent bought r9 280. I had a gtx560 ti before, and upgrades today. The system doesnt boot, initially (not even a single beep). I swapped the cards, then worked with the old one. So ive tried to clear the CMOS, without the card, by removing the batt. After that, with the new card, the system keeps turning itself on and off, repeatedly. With the onboard and old cards, works fine. What can it be?

Mt specs: I7 3200 3.6ghZ
2x4gb 1333
2 hdd 1tb
1 SSD 240gb
Mobo MSI H61M P21 B3
PSU Aerocool 700W 85+ Bronze

Ty guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20141112_210821.jpg
    IMG_20141112_210821.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 295
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I doubt its the issue but that psu is junk I believe...

Did you try a different Pcie slot? Try that card in another pc?

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Possibly The PSU has multiple low-wattage rails?
actually in theory ..that one should be fine..
in theory that is..

Hey guys. First of all, tnx for replying.
Ive just tested the card on another PC, with a Corsair 500w psu and mobo sabertooth 990x, and it worked. I cant test right now another psu on mt system, so im thinking to maybe update the BIOS?

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Someone was telling me that H61 boards aren't rated for proper wattage a-la BIG GPU through their PCIE slot..
or..Maybe a BIOS update.
I've read about some boards not working with UEFI BIOS GPUs.

It couldn't hurt..I hope.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Aerocool is known for decent cases but psus not so much. What i presume is he gets now power up to the screen. Are the pci e 12v lines plugged into the 6+2 jack(s) on the card; is the monitor hooked up and pturned on properly; is the psu on and all plugs fully seated? Most instances like this are gpu seating probles with the case/mobo, and require the psu, motherboard and gpu pulled from the case. The mobo placed on a non conductive box the gpu pushed in hard and squared in the slot the psu, monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up properly and everything turned on and the power switch on the mobo (if equipped) otherwise a case switch used

I'll update the bios right now, and if it dont works, follow your steps, @eidaraman1.. coming back soon.

Good morning people.
I followed @eidaraman1 steps. Took all the the pieces away from the case, cleaned up with isopropyl, put back GPU, RAM, SSD, monitor, mouse and keyboard. It didnt booted. So I've connected the monitor vga on onboard video, and dvi on the offboard gpu. It booted on the onboard. Then turned off, pluged the monitor only on the offboard card, and surprisingly: IT BOOTED!
So I set all the pieces carefully on the case, and it still works. I even tested the card on Watching Dogs ULTRA to see if it can be a PSU problem (so it will not work properly, or even shutdown), and it ran smooth for about 1 hour.
I've checked before the unmount all the contacts, mobo and cards seats.. It was all ok.
I'm at age 23, and love computers since my first one at 6. One thing Ive learned in all this time: sometimes, it's unexplainable :D
Thank all of you guys for your time!

See you soon!