1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte R9280 OC-3GD (rev. 2.0) "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by tomek7, Jun 16, 2014.

1. tomek7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering is someone could help me. I have recently changed my Saphire Radeon 6850, to r9 280x and every time I try to play chivalry it crashes on the starting menu with a message:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

I tried to clean old drivers using cc cleaner, I updated my MB BIOS to the latest one, switched off Aero and it is still not working. In Windows everything is ok, also when I run the test with GPU-Z. I bought this card used with 18 month warranty, could it be a problem with my hardware? Please help!

Windows 8.1 Pro
    PC Case Fractal Design (R3 I think)
    Antec TP 550W (see screen)
    Asus M5A78L/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
    AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3GHz Socket AM3 Retail Boxed Processor
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB GV-R928XOC-3GD Rev 2.0
    G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
    MAXTOR HDD 500GB
    Samsung SSD 128GB
    Samsung SyncMaster SA350 (full HD)

Attached Files:

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you tried the other driver?

RCoon says thanks.
  3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1

Clean the drivers off, reinstall the latest WHQL driver, and ensure you don't have an overclock set up through any software. Display Driver crash is usually down to instability. If a non-beta driver doesn't work properly either, and you're certain the card is running @ stock, then RMA it.

Also your PSU is slightly worrying. 45A split over 4 rails.

4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Was the windows OS prepaired before installing the r9 280x?
    [Catalyst Driver was removed using express uninstall with Saphire Radeon 6850 still installed]

general info and trouble shooting here

atb

Law-II

5. tomek7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to uninstall old drivers before changing my graphics card (I know rookie mistake) After I spot this I used Driver Cleaner Pro, CC Cleaner and Registry easy.

I tried drivers from gigabyte website for my card which were 13.X, now I am running on 14.4
    How do I uninstall WHQL driver? Where do I find it?

I did not overclock my card I think in the attached screen-shot you can see that card is on standard clock. I put a new Bios to my card, see attached (but it is still playing up)

I did think about my PSU, but when I do the test in GPU-z everything is fine?! later this week I will have a chance to put this card into my fridns PC witch better PSU.

What if I install windows on a different hard driver to see if this is problem with drivers, will this work?

Attached Files:

6. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    Hi! Tomek ;)

To cleanly uninstall your AMD Catalyst drivers use " amd_cleanup_util_1.2.1.0.exe " utility.

7. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Look here

Why would you do this? vbios update is the very last possible resort; oh well, live and learn

Yes; this would rule out driver errors

atb

Law-II

8. tomek7 New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    i would like to blame temps but the gpu temps seem pretty good really.
    maybe the vrm?

11. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    But no! it removes cleanly various PACKAGE as VC + + Redist, Catalyst, including FUEL, ATI ACE, etc etc properly! it is not a virus but an AMD utility! you are free not to trust but you are also free not to desecrate misconceptions about a utility which you know nothing.

I use this utility to install the Beta versions of Catalyst when I sometimes encounter bugs; I then forced to use this utility to clean up at the graphics driver.

Learn instead to create doubt; thank you in advance!

It's official tool not modificated and not adware ...

Refer to: http://www.ngohq.com/news/24778-amd-clean-uninstall-utility-1-4-0-0-a.html

warning : if you're in RAID System ONLY : As a result, USB and audio devices and systems using RAID arrays may become unresponsive after system reboot. Because all AMD Drivers are unisntalled with this tools ! This is the ONLY inconvenience you may encounter ... Are you RAID? If "yes" > not use this tool, if "not" > you can use it without problem.

This tool is made for users who frequently install Beta versions of Catalyst. I did not encounter any problems with Windows 7 Pro.

You are FREE to use it or not;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I'd use and/or recommend it if I had some confirmation that it doesn't break Windows 8 anymore as it did last year. I only mentioned it because I've heard of issues with it in several places, including this forum. Seeing that you use Windows 7, and probably have been all along, perhaps you never encountered said issues?

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-catalyst-uninstall-utility.178948/
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1350750/win-8-users-warning-about-amd-uninstallation-utility
    http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-m...-use-amd-catalyst-uninstall-utility-29399990/
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373855
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-uninstall-utility-messed-up-windows-8-a.html
    http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/1fpzn1/amds_official_uninstall_utility_ruined_my_win8/

I don't bother using cleaners most of the time, and if I do, I just use Treexy DriverFusion.

URBAN303 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. URBAN303

URBAN303

Thanks Received:
    You may encounter problems if you have a RAID system as utility uninstalls the AMD drivers manage the RAID amongst other; so if you are not in RAID you should have no problem. Expect to have user feedback here or elsewhere on the "source of problems in Windows 8" problems once identified will let you know if using this tool is good or not for you.
    Windows 7 I have actually never had a problem; but I'm not either ... RAID

Uninstall manually each programs AMD with Windows is long ...

The Raid is a process "networks" and "server" which came to be added to the average user wishing to increase the performance problem for configurations using video games is completely different from a server folders, and RAID can show these limitations here ... there he has a great interest in using this type of configuration for use "gaming"? I do not think; evidence and yet it is only the visible part of the iceberg.

Don't Use Raid System it's better ;) because this type of installation on MS Windows is delicate and fragile ... Proof a simple software can make a RAID configuration to nothing! is it a guarantee of reliability for you?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014