• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Shows off Entry-level Z170-HD3 Motherboard

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GIGABYTE showed off its entry-level ATX motherboard based on Intel Z170 chipset, the Z170-HD3. This socket LGA1151 board, ready for 6th generation Core "Skylake" processors, offers a basic feature-set for single graphics card gaming PC builds. The board draws power from a combination of 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS power connectors, and conditions it for the CPU with a 7-phase VRM. The CPU socket is wired to four DDR4 DIMM slots, supporting dual-channel DDR4 memory.

Expansion slots on the Z170-HD3 include one PCI-Express 3.0 x16, a PCI-Express 2.0 x16 (electrical x4, wired to the PCH), and two each of PCI-Express 2.0 x1 and legacy PCI. Storage connectivity includes 32 Gb/s M.2 (PCI-Express 3.0 x4 physical layer), two SATA-Express 16 Gb/s, and six SATA 6 Gb/s. Display outputs include one each of D-Sub, dual-link DVI, and HDMI 2.0. Six USB 3.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet (Realtek controller), and 8-channel HD audio with audio-grade capacitors and ground-layer isolation make for the rest of its modern connectivity.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

We do not need legacy hardware:
-PCI slots
-VGA
-DVI
And what the hell happened to the Display Port?
I see they are not following with their promise of phasing out legacy video connectors by 2015.

Unlike the Z97-HD3, this board looks like it can actually be suitable for overclocking

We do not need legacy hardware:
-PCI slots
-VGA
-DVI
And what the hell happened to the Display Port?
I see they are not following with their promise of phasing out legacy video connectors by 2015.
All of these are still in use in industry. I use COM port on a daily basis for my software projects. It may be useless for you doesnt mean its useless for everybody else. Also this is Gigabytes OEM/channel series motherboard not their OC/Gaming board.

D

Deleted member 67555

That's probably the nicest "Entry Level" board I've eve seen...
Ready for everything you have and ready for what you want