1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good gaming headset

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by magma_saber, Sep 9, 2007.

1. magma_saber New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking of getting the Medusa 5.1 for my laptop. I read quite a few good reviews on them, but i read on forums that they are not that great. Should i get the Medusa 5.1 or get something else?
  2. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i have the razer 5.1 gaming headset there the best for games have a look :cool: LINK
  3. magma_saber New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read some reviews online and said that the sound quality isnt that good and the bass is pretty bad. Also i'm gonna use this headset for my laptop which doesn't have a good soundcard. The medusa 5.1 comes in a usb version so it should sound good. Doesn't the razer only come in the 3.5 jack for the sound and require a good soundcard for it to sound good?
  4. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    it comes with DAI plug and you get a adapter for normal sound jacks and the sound quality is the best i've heard in a set of headphone same with the bass you can feel the bass vibrate your head it works with ant sound card i tried it on both onboard and the razer sound card it got more sound out of the razer card bur the quailty was just as good but it up to you
  5. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Medussa is awesome...I have it for 3 years and i am satisfied.
  6. magma_saber New Member

Thanks Received:
    How is the build quality on the medusa? I heard that it falls apart after a little while.
  7. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    No problems here...As long as you keep it in the box when you aint using it you wont have a problem. Otherwise the dust is a bad thing cause it sticks on the ear pads.
  8. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    good thing with the razer headphone they rotate so the dust sits on top and not to much on the ear pads :laugh:[​IMG]
  9. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:

I have the Razer too and luv the sound from it,only using onboard here and it still is impressive.

Only gripes I have about it is the in-line controller is a bit big and it looks kind of weird the way the headband is suspended above your head,but that is just cosmetics.As far as gaming sound goes it is one of the best.

There is a review here

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Razer/Barracuda-HP1
  10. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    The medussa pads rotate too but it means nothing. dust still stands.
  11. magma_saber New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a laptop so i dont have a very good soundcard. If i get the razer, should i also get a soundcard for it, like the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook ExpressCard or would the onboard soundcard be good enough?
  12. magma_saber New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which would have a better sound quality with a sub-par soundcard, the razer or the medusa? Also what is the type of connection for the razer?
  13. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    The razer was always supposed to be used in combo with the Razer soundcard...But yes it can also get used with plain soundcards...However the medussa here costs 40euros while the Razer more and with little or no sound variation. Each one will be ok, just pick the cheaper one there :)
  14. magma_saber New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think i gonna get the medusa since i can get the usb version and not need a soundcard so that the razer will sound good. Also read a lot of reviews of the razer having really bad bass and a bad mic.