1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Good mechanical gaming keyboards?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by theubersmurf, Oct 8, 2012.

1. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    On one keybard? you would be better pressed to get a controller. One can be found on newegg for less than $10.

I remember trying to do this with a friend mroe than a decade ago. Doesn't work out so well.

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Oh it works. We had tournaments in school. :D

3. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    why would your school have NKRO?

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I mean it works with 2 players and one keyboard. That is the perfect time to have that, but we didn't.

Anyway, back to topic I guess.

5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Not sure of a situation where i needed to do multiple key presses but i can literally feel a difference between PS/2 and USB in general use. PS/2 just seems that little more responsive. Might just be a placebo effect idk.

I totally resent that MX Browns are less satisfying than MX Blues. Browns or Red are a good choice in general but Black are much less expensive, just in general any Cherry switch seems that more responsive than rubber dome and key presses in general are more satisfying even on linear switches.

6. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    You could quite possibly be right. I think its that USB has to move through a controller of some sort, and PS2 has direct access to the CPU.

Someone with more knowledge than myself might be able to explore that more clearly.

7. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    USB is controlled by the CPU. PS/2 is handled by a dedicated hardware controller. If your CPU is being loaded heavily USB devices affect performance. For something like a keyboard this isn't too difficult as USB as a standard limits your # of inputs per polling cycle. The dedicated keyboard controller will not miss a beat and once the CPU can handle the input it will feed the input to the CPU.

All mech keyboards and switches are amazing for gaming and typing in general. If you don't spend too much time typing then don't worry about your keyboard. If you use it as an extension of yo body then there are all manner of keyboards available that will suit you so long as they have good switches.

8. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if this helps any, but code EMCJNNA233 takes 15% off keyboards at Newegg. and since the Black Widow was mentioned, it can be had for $59.49 shipped

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD