1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Chrome Overtakes Mozilla Firefox in Browser Market-share: StatCounter

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Flanker

Thanks Received:
    being a firefox user since 3.0 I made many attempts to get used to chrome, I simply can't
  2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Thats only since 2008, that isn't that long ago :laugh: If you were using IE till 2008, you should be able to switch to anything out there, as anything would have been better back then.
  3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with that? Chrome gives you a task manager of its own, so you can kill specific processes, their PIDs match with OS PIDs.
  4. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    Yup, whenever something crashes I just terminate that process...just saves time not having to close the entire application when something fails on you.
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It was a joke. :p

But I don't know why really, I'm just not a big fan of having a process per tab. I've tried Chrome, Opera and IE9 at times, but FF feels like home, probably because I've used it since it came out. If I would use something else it would probably be IE9 though, I like that.

I mean yes it hangs when I'm starting a new download (and haven't downloaded anything in a while) for a minute, but still..
  6. hhumas

Thanks Received:
    its good to see chrome going at the top
  7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I just blocked out every tracking cookies form google, facebook, ad this ad that, from IE9 (it has blocklists you can share/install)... Would I be able from Chrome?
    Something tells me browsing with a publicity company's browser must suck and is anti-cool.
  8. Kaleid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Google is big brother so screw them. IE9 is useless and Firefox is the clear choice with some add-ons.
  9. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this is because every piece of free good software's installer is bundled with chrome.. Nobody takes the time to uncheck do not install chrome..:banghead:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only thing stopping me from going to Chrome is the massive red border it puts around Imgur hotlinks, which is fast becoming the go to host for images/gifs :(
  11. scottsche New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fx and WarEagleAU say thanks.
  12. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Scott for that, nice information. Seems FF has been the lead for months.

I like how Google and I think IE9 let you use the GPU for processing and take advantage of multi cores. I think Firefox does this too but I Cannot remember. Only thing I Want from Firefox is a smaller footprint and to fix, once and for all, their memory leak usage. I use all three browsers and love them all. Just like Firefox for more extensions but I do love Google Chrome Apps!
  13. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    FF 4 life!......no not really. Never tried chrome....my just for kicks. Terrified of.
    With I infront of it......mabybe that's why I don't mess with apple. Remember the old old old internet explorer... the horror I had with. Hearing a lot of good things about 9 though.
  14. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I use a different browser every day because I always want the very best. Unfortunately the very best is not an arbitrary data point and that's why it varies day to day based on numerous global conditions.

To calculate which browser to use today, I have to use a lot of spreadsheets, complex math equations and a ton of scientific and astronomy data like the phase of the moon and the number of sun spots and the average water displaced during yesterday's tides.

The sad part is that to do all these calculations, I need approximately 15 hours and 45 minutes and I'm left with only 15 minutes of actual browsing time left :(
    erixx says thanks.
  15. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:
  16. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Not months, years, I think as far back as 2004. But in the short 3 years that Chrome has been out it has rocketed up in use. It looks like about another 6 months to a year and it will over take FF, or be dead even with it.
  17. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone ever thought that probably those stats aren't that accurate? Take this from a FF user that "ad-blocks" every single tracking site/service he can (like statcounter.com, google-analytics.com, etc) .
  18. borden5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what stopping me from using firefox is it take longer to start up and need to load for like 5 sec everytime i tried to run it, crashs when running lots of tab and i hated it, i moved to chrome and it doesn't crash as often but still crashed on me sometime, and i have some bug on firefox on certain website no matter how many time to uninstall and reinstall firefox but the firefox on my other computer worked fine .....
  19. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    "W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser alternatives.

These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is a more popular browser."
    theJesus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Same here; Firefox just keep crashing for me since 3.6 version.
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If i did buy a computer and it came with crome installed on it it be sent right back to them lol.

I use Firefox as a second browser but i use Mozilla's Seamonkey as primary as it soots my needs and requirements better. And if i remember right they both use the same engine too.
  22. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I just need to see webpages and have my growing bookmarks controlled: all I really need is IE, I have no time or interest in plugins. But I also use Opera, it has some nice features like sorting favorites by most recently accessed, and for blocking stuff it is the best ever, but that's all.

Like HalfaHertz says: all these browser-geek-wars steal my time and that is also my money.
  23. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i just recently dropped ff for chrome because of speed and memory consumption. the so frequent so useless updates didn't help matters

well from someone who works from their computer every day, it makes a huge difference. i have to use all 3 practically every day to see how different changes look in them, but for anything else i use chrome now. it has all the plugins i need(mouse gestures, ad block, firebug, etc) but still a small imprint. smaller than firefox has with the same tabs and equivalent extensions open at least.

i wouldn't even consider using IE as my main browser. for one thing because it consistently displays sites differently than every other browser. but from a user's perspective it just doesn't have the customization i need. with 12 or more hours a day every small change helps productivity, which means i'm done sooner ;)
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  24. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Actually I do :laugh: I guess I'm just picky :p
  25. Fx

Fx

Thanks Received:
    lol, I guess I am too

I believe they are too. they attend closed door meetings with all of the other corrupt leaders that have secret agendas
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011