1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got my storage drive today

Discussion in 'Storage' started by MxPhenom 216, Feb 18, 2011.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I got my new samsung F3 500GB storage drive today in the mail since yesterday was my 18th birthday and it was a gift from my parents that ive wanted for a while.

I uninstalled Steam from the SSD and reinstalled it to the storage drive. Now i want my Documents, Pictures, and Music folders moved from my SSD to the storage drive as well. i already cut and paste them to my 500gb drive. now can i just delete that entire folder from my SSD??

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure. Just make sure the files are acutally on your new drive and you could always just run a shortcut from the storage drive to your SSD.

3. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Open your libraries (assuming this is W7) and click "includes: 1 location" and point it to include the new location on your storage drive. Then you can have it exclude the previous folder.

4. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    hey erocker thanks. i need your help in another thread. go to the thread that titles Ughh BSOD on boot or something like that

yeah not sure what you mean.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Libraries is Documents, Pictures, etc. Near the top, you'll see "Includes: 1 Location" Click on that.

[​IMG]

HossHuge and Black Panther say thanks.
  6. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    the Documents folder in my storage drive is already the default saving one. or do i need to remove the other folder so that theres only one for the other location??

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Your good as long as it states the Default Location. Both can remain in libraries.

8. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    i removed the option to save it in both primary drive libraries and my storage drive libraries. now it'll only save in storage drive libraries. Cuz i noticed it would save in both if i tried saving something. soo

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Brandenburg

Brandenburg New Member

Thanks Received:
    was reading this thread and learned something.. DIDNOT know you could set your custom location/settings for librarys.. cool

10. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yeah but i wish you could completely move the library to the storage drive and not have it on the primary drive too

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    If you still have space on that SSD at the end of it, you would be better off having steam on your hard drive and moving the games you dont play as much to the other drive using steam mover (i use it to move some of my older games to my external drive) it uses links so that steam still thinks everythings where it used to be on the SSD - that way the games you play a lot can be loaded really fast and the others won't take up hard drive space

Link: http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

12. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    What's stopping you?

13. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem with that is (if you don't get privacy-killing ownership straight), the folder on the other drive gets covered under the system's security policy, and Windows starts treating that folder as a user folder. If the OS on the SSD gets reinstalled in the future, you're locked out of that folder on the other drive.

erixx says thanks.
  14. Brandenburg

Brandenburg New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are correct but all you have to do in that case is
    right click on the folder
    select properties/Securities/advanced
    change permissions
    then select the correct name in the permissions entry folder
    check the 2nd tick..replace all child objects with inheritable permissions from this object

OK so its a pain in the ass but it can be done.. Did a reformat job for a dude and his old OS was non working and he had vital work related data he wanted off of the drive before i wiped it. So i took the HDD out of the PC and put it in an external enclosure.. hooked it up to his laptop.. ran into the same security BS... took me an hour or so of muddling through the security options to find the right sequence that produced the desired results

15. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    When I install Windows, first thing is always this: go to C/USers/Yourname/ and look for Documents, Pictures, Music, and all the other bullshit folders that all software developers want you so badly to have.

Richt click on each one, click on Properties, click on Location (Ubication in Spanish) and select MOVE it (or maybe Relocate...) including or not its contents (if there's any), then point to the desired Folder on your other HDD (you can create or not your Own folders like ErixxDox :) as you like and make it the DEFAULT folders for ever...
    (If there is no Location page under Properties, then it is not a System folder ;)

After that, applications like Word or Media Player etc will already know that you are saving Docs or MP3 over there, not on the C: drive. And all the virtual Libraries will also be correctly pointing to your files.

;)

Brandenburg says thanks.
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    okay wait. so sincei did what the other guy said about the location stuff. can i just delete the files from my storage drive and then redo it how you said??

EDIT: NVM! lol. its all kind of mess up now. If i delete the files from the A drive which is my storage drive it deletes it from the libraries as well because i have it set so that the A drive is the only drive itll save too.

OH MY LORD!. it is completely messed up now!

I might have to reformat now

or format my storage drive. because its really messing up everything. i just need to redo it all

Like hte Picture file in Libraries isnt even accessible anymore!. WOW!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    okay nvm i fixed it! Im not going to mess with it ANYMORE! I just dont want stuff to be saved to both my C drive and my A:/ storage drive. Rather it be just the storage drive. but i guess thats why i have it set to default save location

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I ended up reformatting my SSD because it was really messed up. the whole file system sooo. i think im just going to make a documents, pictures, videos, music, and downloads files in the storage drive and set everything to save there instead of doing weird stuff with the C drive libraries

Crunching for Team TPU