1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPS Location With Time Stamp Software?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by OrbitzXT, Feb 15, 2011.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    My boss is looking for ways to trim the fat and wants to make sure everyone is working efficiently as possible. He currently has drivers for the business fill out time sheets of where they went and from where and at what time. I speak with the drivers often and they're an honest bunch but it's within the bosses right to make sure people aren't doing things they're not supposed to. The drivers feel like they waste a lot of time filling these things out, I was wondering if there was perhaps a more efficient way to do this with phone apps or computer applications? What he's looking for is something to record the time, and current location (Preferably a street location, but GPS would be okay I suppose).

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i would say your boss needs to call in a logistics expert with knowledge of remote DB injections. this is probably beyond your knowledge as there simply isnt some program you can download and install on a pc or handheld device...

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
  4. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I thought I saw this idea on a Sprint commercial.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yes, but then you need somebody to monitor it realtime if you really want to check in on your employees. in fact, you could just buy them all iphones and have them install the program that shows where everyone is. i dont see that streamlining anyone's job though. what he needs is a way to enter GPS and time data into a database so he can run reports on the drivers periodically. of course then he has to create a program that will match expected times and locations against actual ones if he wants to get good results. this is what database developers do in the logistics industry. it costs a lot of money.

6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Man OrbitzXT, you really bring all your work to TPU...don't you. Where is our compensation :p.

Anyways, fleet tracking is not cheap. Good tracking are subscription based. A cheap alternative is using Google Latitude, but it requires a computer or smart phone and people can spoof location.

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  7. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is your own fault for being so damned helpful all the time =p

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My step-mother just bought some cheapo portable GPS from Best Buy. has a camera onboard and stamps the images as you request. Saves them on the GPS, but can be easily offloaded at the end of the day. I want to say it was a budget model Garmin.