• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z reporting HD3850 as Crossfire disabled when it's not

saturnotaku

Hey all, I just built a system with a pair of Radeon HD3850 cards with an Asus P5K-E motherboard and Vista x64. I thought I had everything set up properly. Crossfire is showing as enabled in the CCC, using the 7.11 drivers and the Crysis hotfix. GPU-Z is reporting one GPU as PCI-E x16, the other as PCI-E x4, which is correct. However, it's showing that Crossfire is disabled.

Am I missing something in the BIOS or the way I have my cards set up that's incorrect? I've mostly been benchmarking with F.E.A.R. and I'm getting wildly inconsistent results with it. For example, if I run the benchmark twice in a row with Crossfire enabled, it definitely outperforms a single-card setup. However, if I run it a third straight time, performance drops off the face of the earth. At 1440x900 with 8xAA and 16x AF enabled through the CCC, I get an average of about 72 fps during the first two runs. If I run it a third time, that average drops to about 30. Single-card scores are consistently at about 40 fps.

I also have an OCZ 600W GameXtream power supply, and I have my monitor hooked up to the top video card, if that makes a difference. I saw a flash demo on ATI/AMD's site that shows the monitor being plugged into the bottom card. Does that make a difference? Thanks in advance for any help.