1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gran Turismo 5 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Hybrid_theory, Nov 19, 2010.

1. mightysi

mightysi

Thanks Received:
    I think a lot of what they say in those reviews is true, the standard damage is not amazing, the track generator is a little dissapointing
    (although it has thrown out a couple of really good, demanding tracks for me, i was expecting more of an editor, not just a track generator)

But the important stuff is right, the premium cars are stunning :cool:, the standard ones arent half bad, the handling model just gets better and better (which given how good GT4 was is impressive).
    I havn't seen a better mix of handling realism and graphics in any other game...

One thing i really agree with is that using a wheel is now almost a must! before I could drive pretty well with a dualshock and only used a wheel for the fun of it, but now I find using the wheel soooo much better than a pad, which is how it should be really.

I've yet to play a wet race, or online yet, so i cant say what that's like.
    Plus i'm not too keen on the new level system (I liked having to earn a licence before you could enter a higher race class).

Simple fact is (IMO:confused:), if you expect it to be perfect, you'll probably be dissapointed. But if you look at it compared to GT4 and other 'racing sims' that are around you'll remember why you spent sooooo much of your life playing GT before and you'll carry on doing it now.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Intro movie for the Japanese version.
    I don't get why the Japanese get this very good intro movie while the rest of us are getting stuck with a 1 minute random car passing intro with a commercial band in the background (I read it's My Chemical Romance). :shadedshu

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    damn family getting in the way of me playing mah games! you will see me on the PSN friday night. prepare to lose your nutsack!

4. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna do a lap of the ring at night and while its raining lol. Cause itll be awesome. But i need my game. @mightypsi i used a controller for gt4. and i have wheel for my gt5 cant wait to try it out. And you say the track maker is a generator, a little dissapointing but better than nothing.

5. mightysi

mightysi

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, basically you pick a base area then define the complexity of each sector (upto 7) and the track width/corner sharpness and it generates a track for you.
    I was expecting a proper track editor (don't know why, I just was) so i was a little dissapointed, but to be fair it has generated a couple of really good tracks for me.

I was just hoping to be able to make the tracks that they'd left out, but ce-la-vie...

6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Oh man, Japanese got the awesome intro, where as we got some shitty MCR crap. :shadedshu

7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Installing the game right now... 20 min install :/

8. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Just to clarify, I have the American version, and I have that intro. The intro is a very nice watch.

I was hoping to have the option to do a 1/8th, quarter mile, and top speed track, but I am not sure they exists like they did in GT4, but I haven't really looked for them.

I thought maybe the track editor would let me make those tracks, but from the looks of it, it is not a track editor, only a generator.

LMK if anyone finds these tracks.

As for the graphics, it is very hard to make all 1000 cars premium, but I am sure that in the next year, most of the lackluster graphics on the non premium cars will be cleaned up.

I also wonder if polyphony digital knows that I would pay $30 for an expansion pack for this game, including features, cars, better customization, and a custom tuning (IE engine swapping, custom work, etc...).

9. TheMonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    18 Min. left on install.... I watched the Japanese intro on youtube and tears came to my eyes.

Its been so long, its finally here...

10. mightysi

mightysi

Thanks Received:
    Er, that factory and stuff is the same as my UK version... Not that i've actually sat there and watched all of it

11. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I miss the GT3 intro, thats the best out of all the intro's.

12. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    My install took like 50 minutes. So far I am really digging the physics. First thing I did was start an arcade race @ SS7 Raining with the Zonda R. I am in professional mode, all aids off, and grip set to real. Oh...my...god. It was so fucking hard just to go straight. The Zonda R spun the first 4 gears, and I had almost no traction in the rain. I can't wait to explore more, but sadly I have to get packing for my holiday weekend vacation.

13. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    What really impresses me is, I bought my first car, it came down to a Miata or a Mazda 6, the 6 has about 40 hp more, but it was FF and weighed more. So I went with the girlish Miata for the cornering ability. And it actually felt decently quick, back in GT3 there was a Miata only endurance race, all cars had to be basically stock, and it was a damn 2 hour race, I wanted to rip out my eyes, they all felt so slow.

So nice to know that cars now feel exciting, but I can see supercars feeling insane. BTW I started working on my B licence, got golds through step 5, gave up on 6 for now, 5 was aggravating, 1-4 were easy.

14. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I now have to buy a PS3.

Well played, Sony, well played...

15. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    My copy never came today :(

16. mightysi

mightysi

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, but the european music suited the game better than the US one
    Supra engine internals + feeder = :respect:

I bet, it's bad enough with a tuned Elise leaving some corners, has anyone else actually tried using the traction control?
    Seems to me like it doesnt do much unless you crank it up, it used to be the other way that it cut in too much so i turned it off, now i turn it off cos it's useless.

17. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I bought a FTO first, was wanting a 3000GT SL (the NA 3000GT) but it wasnt on my initial list, so I couldnt get it.

That is ok, because I just purchased my 3000GT VR4, and upgraded it to ~350HP with only 11,000cr.

18. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    yeah the zonda R was hard to drive in nfs shift i found. well my copy is installing as we speak (the bar moves friggen slowly). The apex book from the CE is cool, the model is smaller than I expected.

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Does this have a S197 in it or the 2011?

20. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:

yes I agree.

Can someone who has played Forza 3 comment on a comparison?
    From the vids / pics ive seen, GT5 contains alot more attention to detail.

21. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    After I play i can certainly do that for you.

22. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Doubtful on 2011, GT always lacks American cars, think they have an 05. Just like they have an 04 GTO, with the LS1, when the 05 and 06 GTO's had the LS2 and like 40 more hp. They are getting better at it, but still the game is heavily japanese, just like there is no Fox body stang or 3rd Gen F-Bodys, those things are staples of cheap American speed.

Also, I can't stand their menu music, never have been able to, or their music selection, GT3 had like 5 rock songs I liked, beating that game 5 times, I heard them a lot.

23. mightysi

mightysi

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it's not great. What really gets me is the music when you get a new car and, even more, when you're at GT Auto.
    There's only so much of 'the entertainer' I can take :banghead:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No mustang = fail sauce.

25. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I would pick this up right now if I had more free time to play it. Seems like every time I get a game at release, by the time I play its already on sale retail for 39.99 or something :mad:

Crunching for Team TPU