• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 1660 SUPER MINI ITX OC 6GB Not working with drivers.

Engrave4K

I have 1660 Super is stated above, I cant get it to work with any drivers, ive used ddu to uninstall and perform a clean installation in safe mode. Tried re seating it, tried other display ports, tried other gpus and they work fine. Ive re applied thermal paste and I dont know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated. Or is the card just faulty?

Not working how exactly ? what are your system specs and what other GPUs have you tried ?

Engrave4K

Not working how exactly ? what are your system specs and what other GPUs have you tried ?
Motherboard - Colorful H610M-T M.2 V20 LGA 1700 M-ATX

CPU - i3-13100F

RAM - Fury 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU - RX 580 8GB

PSU - 500W

So ive tried my RX 580 which runs fine & same as my GTX 770.

The 1660 Super cant boot up normally with nvidia drivers installed onto the card but once I uninstall it using DDU in safe mode then it can boot up normally, but once windows updates the drivers then it goes black screen. Ive tried downloading the latest Nvidia drivers & installing it in safe mode but once I try boot up it gets stuck on the motherboard logo screen.

Last edited:
So, try the 1660 on another PC to rule out an incompatibility problem with your system.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
@Engrave4K what Windows version are you trying to run your 1660 on? Is UEFI enabled?

I dont have another system to test

Windows 10 & yes UEFI is enabled
I take it you can boot into the BIOS.

You want the PCH configuration section of the ChipSet part of the BIOS. The path is Advanced->ChipSet->PCH Configuration.

The list of PCH Configuration items includes Primary Display. There is a dropdown list of options for Primary Display. By default it is normally set to Auto. Set it to PEG Slot instead. Save the BIOS changes and reboot. This should fix the issue.

Engrave4K

I take it you can boot into the BIOS.

You want the PCH configuration section of the ChipSet part of the BIOS. The path is Advanced->ChipSet->PCH Configuration.

The list of PCH Configuration items includes Primary Display. There is a dropdown list of options for Primary Display. By default it is normally set to Auto. Set it to PEG Slot instead. Save the BIOS changes and reboot. This should fix the issue.
I just tried it and it still isnt working, I keep getting stuck at the motherboard logo and it freezes like this in the photo

Attachments

• 20240308_132333.jpg
    20240308_132333.jpg
    918.8 KB · Views: 19
I just tried it and it still isnt working, I keep getting stuck at the motherboard logo and it freezes like this in the photo
You could consider a BIOS reset/default BIOS restore. There is an option to do that in the BIOS but if you can't get into the BIOS an alternative reset method will need to be used. One is to (1) unplug the PC power cord (2) locate the motherboard CLR_COMs pin and (3) short the pin for at least 5 seconds to reset the CMOS data and restore the BIOS.

Engrave4K

You could consider a BIOS reset/default BIOS restore. There is an option to do that in the BIOS but if you can't get into the BIOS an alternative reset method will need to be used. One is to (1) unplug the PC power cord (2) locate the motherboard CLR_COMs pin and (3) short the pin for at least 5 seconds to reset the CMOS data and restore the BIOS.
Ive already reset the bios & still the same result. Im starting to feel like there must be something faulty with the card itself

Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ive already reset the bios & still the same result. Im starting to feel like there must be something faulty with the card itself
Did you get this 1660 new, or is it used? If the latter, I suspect its VBIOS may have been altered.
To check that, you could try booting a live Linux distro using Legacy BIOS mode. If you get image then, that'd mean UEFI support could've been removed.

Engrave4K

I bought it used & okay ill do some research on that & give it a try. It was supposed to be working but the seller blocked me now.

Software Windows 11 Pro
I bought it used & okay ill do some research on that & give it a try. It was supposed to be working but the seller blocked me now.
TREMENDOUS red flag right there. Now I'm sure this card was abused for mining with a custom VBIOS.

Software Windows 11 Pro
Is there a way to reset it back to normal?
I think there is, but I have no expertise at all. Most people here in similar scenarios usually have issues with Radeons, so I could at least @ someone I know could help then. But with GeForces? I really don't know who could help with flashing it.

Try at least the live Linux approach I mentioned earlier. If you get any video then, at least the card isn't dead and may be worth the effort to recover it.

So, @Engrave4K, did you try booting a live Linux from an USB stick? Any success?

Engrave4K

I think there is, but I have no expertise at all. Most people here in similar scenarios usually have issues with Radeons, so I could at least @ someone I know could help then. But with GeForces? I really don't know who could help with flashing it.

Try at least the live Linux approach I mentioned earlier. If you get any video then, at least the card isn't dead and may be worth the effort to recover it.

So, @Engrave4K, did you try booting a live Linux from an USB stick? Any success?
I still have no idea how to do that

Software Windows 11 Pro
I still have no idea how to do that
Preparing a Linux-on-a-stick and running it? Using either your working RX580 or GTX770, do the following:

First of all, set a USB stick aside for this process. It'll be formatted, so make sure not to lose any data.
Second, download a Linux distro image. I'll link Ubuntu here as it is a baseline distro, and plenty for what we'll need.
Third, download Rufus. It is the software we'll use to create a bootable drive.
Fourth, use Rufus to create the bootable drive. First, you'll select the USB stick you'll use at "Device". Then, Click the "SELECT" button and open the Linux image you downloaded. Then, at "Partition scheme" select MBR. Leave the rest at default and click the "START" button. It may then ask some files that it'll download on its own, and if you want to use the ISO or DD Image mode. Select ISO and confirm (DD works even better, but leaves the stick unusable for anything else unless you reformat its partition table).
1709945552871.png

Fifth, after Rufus finishes (it takes a little while), shut your PC down.
Sixth, swap the GTX1660 in, power your PC on, enter BIOS options (DEL key), set BIOS mode to Legacy and select your USB stick as boot drive. Save and exit.
Seventh, if you get to an Ubuntu menu, we're already doing progress. Just start Ubuntu (I don't know how the option will be explicitly written, but it's the default and will be executed on its own within a few seconds).
Eighth, if Ubuntu starts and shows open the Terminal and type in the following command, which'll show if your card is reporting correctly to the system.
Code:
lspci | grep VGA

If this process is succesful, your card may be saved. But that's for later.

Last edited:

Engrave4K

Preparing a Linux-on-a-stick and running it? Using either your working RX580 or GTX770, do the following:

First of all, set a USB stick aside for this process. It'll be formatted, so make sure not to lose any data.
Second, download a Linux distro image. I'll link Ubuntu here as it is a baseline distro, and plenty for what we'll need.
Fourth, use Rufus to create the bootable drive. First, you'll select the USB stick you'll use at "Device". Then, Click the "SELECT" button and open the Linux image you downloaded. Then, at "Partition scheme" select MBR. Leave the rest at default and click the "START" button. It may then ask some files that it'll download on its own, and if you want to use the ISO or DD Image mode. Select ISO and confirm (DD works even better, but leaves the stick unusable for anything else unless you reformat its partition table).
View attachment 338187
Sixth, swap the GTX1660 in, power your PC on, enter BIOS options (DEL key), set BIOS mode to Legacy and select your USB stick as boot drive. Save and exit.
Seventh, if you get to an Ubuntu menu, we're already doing progress. Just start Ubuntu (I don't know how the option will be explicitly written, but it's the default and will be executed on its own within a few seconds).
Eighth, if Ubuntu starts and shows open the Terminal and type in the following command, which'll show if your card is reporting correctly to the system.
Code:
lspci | grep VGA

Thankyou I will give this a try now

View attachment 338187
Code:
lspci | grep VGA

I got this once I typed that command, what do I do next? Or could you tag someone that knows anything about Nvidia cards please?

Attachments

• 20240309_153831.jpg
    20240309_153831.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Software Windows 11 Pro
I got this once I typed that command, what do I do next? Or could you tag someone that knows anything about Nvidia cards please?
Great, your card isn't completely fudged.

@Dr. Dro do you know (someone else who knows) how to flash NVIDIA cards?