1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard Drive Data Recovery

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Msap14, May 27, 2011.

1. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Try putting it in the freezer.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    dont we have a sticky on this? let me check

edit: Hmmm, not stickied, but its in the storage section of the forum, where this post should be. will find linkies.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142222

^ thats the thread on data recovery, but if the drive isnt powering up you're quite possibly screwed. if you try the freezer trick make sure you seal the drive in a plastic bag first and be careful of letting it warm up during use due to condensation.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  4. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry, don't visit the forums as often as i used to, didn't realize there was a storage section. i am rather sketched on putting the drive in the freezer, but if nothing else works, ill probably give it a try.

thanks for the link.

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    sometimes extreme heat or cold is the only thing to make drives spin up again for long enough to get any data off them at all. it sounds iffy, but really - what have you got to lose at this point? if it dont power on, you'd spend thousands for a data recovery centre to get the files off it.

6. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the drive turns on but makes a clicking noise, the computer will come up with a message now saying the drive needs to be formatted before use, ive seen this happen before except in this case the drive will no longer show up in disk management so i can't do much about it. no matter what i click in the formatt dialogue box that pops up it won't formatt.

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    because its a physical failure, not a software one. This is why obscure hardware solutions like extreme heat and cold exist. they may only work one drive in 10, but you're Shit Outta Luck if you cant make it power on reliably.

8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    for how long? im afraid it goes ice block :D

9. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i know, just wishful thinking, hoping something will somehow make this a lot easier :roll:

10. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    First hit for "data recovery software" on google yields a program called GetDataBack which has a free trial.

"can even recover your data when the drive is no longer recognized by Windows"

Mussels says thanks.
  11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I usually leave them in overnight. I put them in a static back, inside a ziplock, and leave them in overnight.

I've recovered data off 2 drives using this method(and had it fail on about 20+ others). It is a last resort for sure.

Get data back will only really work in a few situations, mainly when the MFT has been corrupted but the drive still works, or when a partition has been formatted. If the drive physically doesn't work, unfortunately no software will help.

With a "click of death" is caused by the the armature scanning back and forth and not being able to read from the platter. There are several causes of this, but usually it is caused by the read head on the end of the arm going bad for some reason.

Here is a video on something that might fix the clicking issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoVBHG4kajA

The OP might want to try this first before freezing it.

micropage7 says thanks.
  12. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    That's why I used quotes, to emphasize that it's just what the website said :p Anyway, it's a free trial so it's worth trying to see if it can maybe get something.

Also, I think I remember somebody actually heating the drive up to get it working temporarily. However I think that was just for a drive that wouldn't spin up at all.

Black Panther says thanks.
  13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    inside zip lock? it aint goes icy at all?
    then you plug in that on cold condition? pretty interesting method

14. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have tried the freeze method once before without success. do you think i should take the logic board off then put it back on once i pull it out of the freezer so it is less likely to get messed up?

15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Nope, doesn't get icy at all, but condensation can be an issue when you take it out.

I wouldn't worry about it.

16. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    You can also try taking the logic board off and cleaning the contacts with an eraser. It got a HDD we had to spin long enough to use GetDataBack to get about half of a customer's pictures off before it went kaput.

17. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what do you all think about switching the board out with another one with the same firmware?

18. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Just make sure the model numbers and EVERYTHING match. I've fixed a drive doing that as well.

19. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    some of the contact did have some crap on them and now the drive's clicking is a bit more inconsistant but so far it's not doing anything differently

theres a board on ebay for pretty cheap but not EVERYTHING matches, here is was does match:

the model number
    the pn
    the fw
    the site
    the sticker pcb number
    the printed pcb numver

Here is what does not match:
    serial number
    date code
    chips were manufactured by different companies

what do you all think about trying this pcb? i don't think the date would matter much, i can see the serial number not mattering either but what about the chips? if the pcb number and firmware are the same it shouldn't matter if the chips are made by different companies should it?

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  20. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Different chip manufacturers might make it incompatible, but if it's cheap, it might be worth a try. Serial and date code don't matter.

21. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'd actually be kinda worried if it had the same serial.

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    definitely use the zip lock bag, thats what prevents the icing. the trick is to open it only as much as needed for the data and power cables, and seal it back up again - personally i used a USB dock for my drive and put THAT in the bag as well, in the freezer. no condensation if it cant warm up!

23. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    swapping the PCB didn't work and freezing the drive didn't work, so recovery isn't possible without sending it to a center. thanks for the advise.

24. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Data recovery shops are expensive, but they can usually get your data. Take this as a warning to start an on-site or online backup for all your current data. Information really is priceless to some people.

25. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    You can see the partitions but you can not see the drive.

Have you tried TestDisk by CG Security?

Since yuor drive is click I am not sure if it will work but I have managed to get partitions back with it by rewriting the MBR once you let TestDisk find the partitions.