• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hard Drive WD 2000 Not working

Kymberly_S

Hi, I am a newby here,
I have an issue with a WD2000 HD. It was working. Then a computer power box blew and I had to get a new one. In the mean time I slaved the HD up to another computer so the information could still be accessed (at home computer).

I received the new Power Box.. put it in the old tower. Took the HD out of other computer and put it back into the original computer (same one as new power box is in). Plugged everything back in and the HD went "CLICK" (goodbye) and didn't work. The PCB got hot, then hotter and then when I thought it was getting too hot I turned off the computer.

I took the HD out and slaved it to the other computer again and nothing... It didn't come on.

I want to know if I can find another HD the same and use the PCB off of the new one, to retrieve the information (it is essential that I recover this information or I am going to have to flee the country... ! )
OR
Do I need to get a new HD or just a new PCB...?

These are the facts:
The hard drive worked fine prior to the click.
The New Power Box is the right one.
The hard drive does not work when tested in another computer.
It is a WD2000 200GB

Can someone please help me with this. If there is any more information you need let me know as I am going to check here frequently.

Thanks in Advance.

beyond_amusia

System Name Cozad (Asus G60JX)
Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 360M
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 16 inch LED LCD
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
hmm.. well, it could be the motor in the HD itself that burned out. Could you tell if the platters were spinnig? Put your hand lightly on the side of the disk and see if you can feel the vibrations or hum of it spinning.

Kymberly_S

There is no vibration at all.
The old motor broke. I put in a new one. That works fine. I took the original HD that there was no issue with. Was spinning (felt vibration) then it clicked.. (like a HD turning off.. An external one) and then nothing.
The PCB got too hot. It wasn't normal.
I really need the information off of the HD.

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
your best bet might be to take it into a data recovery place... But if you feel it is the PCB, get a new one; they are on eBay. if that fails, then go to data recovery. But be aware that data recovwery is expensive and you have to pay even if they cannot extract data off the hard rive.

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
Oh, and from the sounds of it you erally have put a lot of blood sweat and tears into this hdd... I say get a newer bigger one and ghost this whole disk onto the new one if you get it working... and then ghost it once again to be safe. I keep data backed up online via Live Mesh, and on 3 hard drives.

Kymberly_S

If I look on ebay for a PCB what details do I need to find the right one. There is a little row of numbers along the edge 2060-001267-001 REVA.
Is this what I should look for?

(what is ghost?)

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
Ghost is a dick clonig program, and 'to ghost' is to clone a drive... there are many prgrams out there for it.

the PCB... hmm, fire, look for the same hard drive you already have and price it, then search around for the PCB.. if you cannot find the PCB you need, then get the hard drive and take the PCB off it and put it onto yours. =)

Here, this is worth a read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

Also, I will look on eBay too and try to find you a PCB.. does it matter if it's from the Us or would you like it to be from Australia?

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
ghost is a program who is make image of your hdd and save it in any other storage just like other partiton in hdd or cd and this program called norten ghost

Kymberly_S

Thanks so much for your help.

I don't mind where the PCB comes from. I have checked the link and will contact the seller. I am going on a wing and a prayer here so appreciate your effort.

Do you think I will run into trouble changing the PCB myself? I have looked at the old one and there is only a few screws holding it on.

Is there anything 'special' that I should know or things I should or shouldn't do?
(sorry for taking so long with this)

(I know not to have it all plugged in to the power and stuff)

I generally fix computers for people and so far I haven't had any trouble. This is not a field I am trained in so I am all ears for more knowledge.

Thanks again.

Kymberly_S

A ghost is like a back up then? And if so, what is the difference between ghosting and backing up..? Time? Speed? Space? (sounds like a star wars intro!!)
Thanks.

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
A ghost is like a back up then? And if so, what is the difference between ghosting and backing up..? Time? Speed? Space? (sounds like a star wars intro!!)
Thanks.

First off, np. :0 That's the only one on eBay,. so act fast... Also, i'd say let a store do it... The seller mentions moving a chip off the first PCB ontio the new one. sounds tricky to me.

Ghostiong copies the WHOLE hard drive... Os and all. Back up usually only does files.. With Ghosting you can upgrade or replace an existing hard drive without re-installing windows and all that good stuff.

Saakki

System Name JGG
Processor Q6600 @ 3,4ghz
Motherboard Rampage Formula
Cooling Xigmatek, Nexus
Memory 1100 mhz Pi
Video Card(s) 6950 + Accelero Xtreme Plus
Storage 1tb+1tb
Display(s) Acer 19" LCD 5ms + 17 " Hitachi
Case Fractal Design Define R2
Audio Device(s) X-FI
Power Supply XFX Core 650
Software Win 7 ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Q6600 @ 3.5 ghz + and 6950 @ 6970 +
I think ur HD is broken. My stepdads 500 gig Samsung did same thing after 6 months and my friends 500 gig WD also..it is weird nowadays how HDDs just blow up like that! Cmon my friend had 1000 movies in there..he almost committed suicide...btw im sry for your loss and welcome to forums. Datarecoverys are pretty expensive as said before..if there was nothing VERY important in ur HD , just buy new one!

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
I think ur HD is broken. My stepdads 500 gig Samsung did same thing after 6 months and my friends 500 gig WD also..it is weird nowadays how HDDs just blow up like that! Cmon my friend had 1000 movies in there..he almost committed suicide...btw im sry for your loss and welcome to forums. Datarecoverys are pretty expensive as said before..if there was nothing VERY important in ur HD , just buy new one!

she said she MUST have that day=ta thou.. I say get the PCB and let a pro put it on, and then ghost that disk onto 2 disks, lmao. Also, look into backing up files online via SkyDrive or Live Mesh.

Kymberly_S

ok. I have a bit to do (and learn) then. Thanks guys for your support. I have somewhere to go with this now (have to go shop first).

I thought I was going to get the evening to myself :( but seems I have other plans now.

Will be back when confused... (see you soon ha ha)

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
ok. I have a bit to do (and learn) then. Thanks guys for your support. I have somewhere to go with this now (have to go shop first).

I thought I was going to get the evening to myself :( but seems I have other plans now.

Will be back when confused... (see you soon ha ha)

we are here to help. =)

System Name MASTER
Cooling Corsair H100i
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Thanks.

time to back up and recover just like time to copy , very fast , same space of data taken in partition
(best than backing up)

beyond_amusia

Processor Core i5 M 430
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1066
Storage 500GB
you know.. I need to ghost soon... my 200GB is ailing.

System Name MASTER
Cooling Corsair H100i
try ghost it is a nice program , so don't forget it is make image so it backup the all installed programs and drivers

and if you want to recover 100gb you need 100gb storge