• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardcore PC gamer buys console

As a PC gamer, would you buy a console to play online with your console friends?

• Total voters
System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Haven't used a CD in years.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Ripped an old one (Vivaldi, compilation of concertos and violin concertos) less than a week ago. :laugh:

Last edited:
System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04
It take me forever to rip all mine. I have grown quite a collection. Plus I'm a lazy butt, just rather throw the CD in. Plus, you try finding a USB or iPod that can hold it all. Even my iPod Classic 120GB can't hold all my music. ....really wish Apple would make a 300GB model...

music01.png
That not even all my music, still got 30+ CDs to rip...

....MP3...AAC....yick....no thank you. Seriously no lossless support?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
If there are emulators out there i would play with them.

And that hardcore PC gamer is me. So, the obvious question is why would I do it when I have a high spec gaming PC? (see specs)

Answer: Pester Power!

One of my friends is also a hardcore gamer who likes to play online with his friends, some of which I know. However, he's got a PlayStation 4 and of course so do they. He's really wanted me to join them too and has been bugging me to get a PS4 for a good 6 months now. Unfortunately it's a cool £300 or so with the game (Rainbow Six Siege) so I was somewhat reluctant to spend that money to say the least, even though I did want to join them, but the other day I caved in and pulled the trigger after some of his mates joined in the pestering, lol and it arrived last Friday (5th) from Amazon. See, Pester Power works for big kids as well as little kids, lol. :p After I got it, I realized that I'm gonna have to shell out for a PlayStation Plus subscription too to play R6 online. Nice. BTW, I spent a little extra and got the official Sony vertical stand like you see in the picture below, which was well worth it.

Ah well, at least I've already got the headset and just need to get a cheap adapter to make it work with the PS4, which arrives tomorrow.

So, I've been playing around with the PS4, created a PSN account, setting it up, getting used to it and playing R6 in single player mode for some practice (more on that later).

What do I think of it? Well, my Glacier White PS4 (it's actually a light grey) feels like a media centre PC operating in a walled garden which can only be operated with the controller. Besides the stiff prices in the PlayStation store, it feels quite nice to use and it's the later 1200 series chassis too, so it runs nice and quietly, if rather warm while gaming. The controller feels really nice in the hands, too. It's surprising what the IGP in the PS4 can do, credit to AMD. These things have come a long way.

Note that I got the 500GB model over the 1TB model as I wanted the white colour and I don't plan on having loads of games on the PS4 anyway, just the ones I play with my friends. Anyway, I can uninstall the old games I no longer need or just upgrade the HDD to a 2TB one some time later, like my friend has just done.

R6 is interesting. First time I've played it, can see why it's so rated and look forward to playing with my mates online. I don't like the non-regenerating health system though and having to restart a failed mission ("situation" in R6 terms) from the beginning.

The console limitations are quite apparent of course with the lack of framerate (seems to be just 30fps in R6) no graphics adjustments and a monitor refresh of only 60Hz with no option to change it. Still, it plays ok and there was none of the usual setup and troubleshooting faffing that one goes through with a PC game when first started, which is really convenient and quite a plus for a console. Just one inevitable 3GB update first when I inserted the disc and that was it, good to go.

The one thing that bugs me and it's a biggie, is the mouse look with a controller. The view pans round at a fixed speed rather than move proportionally like with a mouse. I can't even find a way to adjust the sensitivity in the game.

This is a serious limitation, screwing up my ability to play a shooter properly since I can't aim accurately and I'm an old hand at these types of games, especially the fast and twitchy Unreal Tournament series. I therefore spend the whole time just fighting to control the aim with this thing instead of just playing the game and keep dying too easily instead of nailing that baddie, even on the easy setting.

It's something I've noticed before which has always put me off a console or using a controller with the PC. The joystick movement control on the other hand is much better than the 4 directions of the WASD keys one uses with a PC, giving fine-grained control over movement due to the smooth, continuous, 360 change of direction it allows. Still, I seem to have managed to work around the mouse look limitation somewhat in R6 in the couple of hours I've been playing it, but I still don't like it. I just hope that with enough practice that I can play it reasonably well and not get too frustrated.

Now, I'm a PC enthusiast, so of course I got curious and want to compare the console version of R6 with the PC version. I had a look on Steam and saw that they've got yet another sale on where the Gold Edition is currently only £36.84 instead of the usual £54.99 until the 12th. Couple of minutes later I'd bought it and it's just finished downloading, all 17GB of it. Gonna give it a go and let you know how it compares. I'm gonna love that mouse look with my PC... ;)

One thing that's not clear to me yet is whether PC players can play online with console players in this game and if they can, I'm gonna sell the PS4 disc, but keep the console for future games.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
If there are emulators out there i would play with them.
That sounds like a nice idea and no doubt these would exist except for the iron fists of copyright, patents and DRM suppressing them. :ohwell:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
That sounds like a nice idea and no doubt these would exist except for the iron fists of copyright, patents and DRM suppressing them. :ohwell:

chit man both our PCs are fully capable of running the latest console games.

Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
90% of my music collection is FLAC stored on my server with it being shared over Plex so I have it available to any device.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
90% of my music collection is FLAC stored on my server with it being shared over Plex so I have it available to any device.
too much work, music is free now.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
too much work, music is free now.
I didn't pay a dime and all it took was copy and paste. Listen to the things I want, not the bullshit a streaming service wants plus ads. I ditched OTA and cable due to commercials I don't want it in my music too.

Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
who listens to ads? they've already proven in the courts that streaming services can't do a damn thing about adblockers not to mention I can set exactly what I want to listen to via playlists on any of them.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Adblockers on phones/tabs are pretty much nonexistent or shit without jailbreak or root. If I'm on a PC it makes even more sense to just easily directly stream my own personal music via Plex. I can also control the amount of compression I get if I'm on data on a mobile device. Playlists aren't the same as personal music. I can literally put my whole list on shuffle and enjoy anything. No lists needed, days worth of music without a repeat. Not real sure what you're on about anyways, everybody has a personal preference and my post was in regards to CDs and the PS4 not playing them back.

Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
I have 600GB of personal music files, I haven't touched them in over a year. Between organizing names so they're searchable (countless hours here), loading up plex, adding in devices, etc and etc. Boy you sure like to work hard and claim its easy. Either that or you listen to the same 100 albums over and over. I go from 150 years old to released last night without any work required.

like my 600GB of files you may have quite the collection, but that only works if you hate modern music. Otherwise you're downloading it all and organizing constantly as new stuff comes out. That my friend is what I'm on about.

Yeah, organizing is a pain in the arse. Reason I just throw the darn CD in and listen.

Plus, you deal with a 20GB cap on your internet. So streaming not even a option for me.

Maybe once 300GB+ USB sticks get cheap enough and the darn music players support lossless format. Hell, I don't even think players in vehicles support that big size of a USB yet.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Organization comes natural due to my system, I guess you could flip it around and say I'm not a completely lazy sod since I mean we're talking the 10 seconds it takes to copy one folder to another :rolleyes:
Plex was already setup due to my TV and movies being shared for friends, so it's as simple as adding the music folder and their database cleans it up for me. I guess it'd take a little extra thinking power to realize I don't have Plex setup just for my own personal use. I have about 12 other people who stream content from my server too.

And yea, I listen to the same 1.78TB worth of music but it takes over a week for me to get a repeat of any sort. I will add a new artist or album I may like maybe once or at best twice a year. I'm a pretty picky listener. I find myself listening to smooth jazz or game soundtracks more than anything these days because a lot of it is void of lyrical content. I don't need Cuckstin Shitbier, Taylor Greed, or any other top 40.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It take me forever to rip all mine. I have grown quite a collection. Plus I'm a lazy butt, just rather throw the CD in. Plus, you try finding a USB or iPod that can hold it all. Even my iPod Classic 120GB can't hold all my music. ....really wish Apple would make a 300GB model...

....MP3...AAC....yick....no thank you. Seriously no lossless support?
Yeah I would like to say you won't notice lossless music while playing a game but that would be a lie. I have my PC with my sound setup next to my PS4 so its nothing to me. But you can't expect a console to be as flexible as a PC, they're just not made to be. The hardware has to be cheap and it has to be consistent so developers can develop for them as easy as possible. Hell I remember when consoles only played games so to me, its pretty huge the PS4 can do this. But ya the PC will always win on versatility.

The OP wants to play music on it so getting past its limitations and working with what's available its not a bad option. An external HDD should work just as well, just make sure it is formated as either FAT32 or exFAT. That should eliminate a lot of storage concerns. Maybe double check to see if there is a limit to how big of a drive it will recognize. You wouldn't think it would be an issue but remember older windows and big HDDs. Flash drives come as big as 1TB now so that's another option. Granted they won't be the super speedy ones.

But even if the PS4 could play audio CDs that would mean you can't game at the same time. With this option you can game and play music at the same time. Sure the sound quality won't be the best but work with what you got. And if you're playing off the TV's speakers anyway than you're not getting your lossless quality anyhow.

I don't listen to music while gaming on a console. I just like the fact of it being a cheap all in one media center for the TV. :p Reason I rock two cheap old PS3s. Not sure how much long the fat will survive but going to suck when it goes and the darn PS4 can't even play a dang CD. Probably have to hunt out another old PS3 when that one goes. I like my cheap blu-ray, dvd, cd, and game player. :D Best darn 150 bucks I spent.

Probably going to say crap it and save up the money to build that NAS I been planning to do. It just going to cost a good 3 grand+ when I get around to doing that though. Even though I did not really want that as a media hub for my first NAS build.

TV speakers, yick, sorry don't use those either. Got two RTi 150s pic of the beast:
I have to bi amp them to feed the speakers properly.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why buy a NAS when you can spend a whole lot less and build a small machine to host files?

I need one for backup really bad. 4TB+ is not doing it for me for file storage. My aim is Raid 6+ with 15TB+ or higher. That way I can backup all my rigs and all my files.

Tend to fill up TBs pretty fast. Consider I am currently at two 3TB external drives. Two 2TB drives and the 3TB drive in my main rig. I need more space.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
I need one for backup really bad. 4TB+ is not doing it for me for file storage. My aim is Raid 6+ with 15TB+ or higher. That way I can backup all my rigs and all my files.

Tend to fill up TBs pretty fast. Consider I am currently at two 3TB external drives. Two 2TB drives and the 3TB drive in my main rig. I need more space.
It'd be a ton cheaper just to make a lesser rig into a file server and load it up with drives and a hardware RAID controller.

Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
It'd be a ton cheaper just to make a lesser rig into a file server and load it up with drives and a hardware RAID controller.
that is a NAS... just like he said he was going to build one.

Probably going to say crap it and save up the money to build that NAS I been planning to do. It just going to cost a good 3 grand+ when I get around to doing that though.

Sure there are hardware boxes for consumer use that are labeled specifically as NAS, but most enterprise variants are just converted servers. So it would make sense that most home use variants be just converted rigs. His cost is likely in raid controller and drives, which if he's doing ssd caching for large magnetic can easily hit 3 grand.

portpower

I have 600GB of personal music files, I haven't touched them in over a year. Between organizing names so they're searchable (countless hours here), loading up plex, adding in devices, etc and etc. Boy you sure like to work hard and claim its easy. Either that or you listen to the same 100 albums over and over. I go from 150 years old to released last night without any work required.

like my 600GB of files you may have quite the collection, but that only works if you hate modern music. Otherwise you're downloading it all and organizing constantly as new stuff comes out. That my friend is what I'm on about.

To me it sounds like you are trying to justify streaming services. There are no true streaming services that allow you to play what you want when you want without paying. Sure you can create a playlist and hope the song you want to hear plays next but then again you are also creating these "countless hours" worth of work. I personally have PLEX and I to have my music loaded into it. There is no work once you get past the initial server setup. I download a folder and for me its automated where that folder puts itself into my music folder on my server. I don't spend countless hours loading up PLEX, loading in devices.... and by the way whats etc. etc.? Just curious. Also no streaming service can match the quality of having your own music files. Also what do you do when your internet goes down?

I don't got no lesser rigs laying about (most of the ones I have break 1 grand in just basic build up). I rather just drop the money on a QNAP business 6-8 bay NAS and be done with it. Since it probably come out to being the same price considering finding a good RAID controller with RAID 6 with enough connections is still not cheap.

Either way I go is not going to be cheap considering the features I want from the NAS and the size of storage I want.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
that is a NAS... just like he said he was going to build one.

Sure there are hardware boxes for consumer use that are labeled specifically as NAS, but most enterprise variants are just converted servers. So it would make sense that most home use variants be just converted rigs. His cost is likely in raid controller and drives, which if he's doing ssd caching for large magnetic can easily hit 3 grand.
See below. A NAS being network attached storage is different than building a file server. A NAS quite literally would be a box with limited functionality hosting storage to a network.

I don't got no lesser rigs laying about (most of the ones I have break 1 grand in just basic build up). I rather just drop the money on a QNAP business 6-8 bay NAS and be done with it. Since it probably come out to being the same price considering finding a good RAID controller with RAID 6 with enough connections is still not cheap.

Either way I go is not going to be cheap considering the features I want from the NAS and the size of storage I want.
That'll cost you the better part of 2 grand minimum for a good one. A good LSI card with a couple SAS ports that can do 8 drives is like 300. If you take whatever you have laying around and toss it in a case with lots of bays (be it 3U/4U or even a full tower) you have expandability instead of needing to purchase yet another premade box for another 2+ grand. NAS boxes are seriously overpriced.

THis is the card I got with a promo code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6118230&cm_re=lsi_raid-_-16-118-228-_-Product

They make the 6Gb/s version cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6118104&cm_re=lsi_raid-_-16-118-104-_-Product

That plus whatever you got laying around vs buying a box then needing to buy drives and having limited expandability.
There are other options for cards too, but that supports RAID 6 likes you want (although dual parity isn't really needed).

See below. A NAS being network attached storage is different than building a file server. A NAS quite literally would be a box with limited functionality hosting storage to a network.

That'll cost you the better part of 2 grand minimum for a good one. A good LSI card with a couple SAS ports that can do 8 drives is like 300. If you take whatever you have laying around and toss it in a case with lots of bays (be it 3U/4U or even a full tower) you have expandability instead of needing to purchase yet another premade box for another 2+ grand. NAS boxes are seriously overpriced.

THis is the card I got with a promo code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6118230&cm_re=lsi_raid-_-16-118-228-_-Product

They make the 6Gb/s version cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6118104&cm_re=lsi_raid-_-16-118-104-_-Product

That plus whatever you got laying around vs buying a box then needing to buy drives and having limited expandability.
There are other options for cards too, but that supports RAID 6 likes you want (although dual parity isn't really needed).

No thank you on that size. I don't want to mess around with building a oversize NAS. I just want a NAS that small and does its job. Good grief. If I ever had to expand then I be looking into a darn SAN. But I don't want no darn SAN atm.

Plus the NAS I'm looking at can handle enough data to keep me happy for many long years.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Thanks for your solutions to playing my music on the PS4 everyone. :toast:

However, it was just a casual thing I wanted to try out on it and wouldn't be looking to do it as a regular thing. For that I've still got my trusty PC connected to the Hi-Fi with very large and bassy speakers... :cool:

Last edited: