• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hasta la “Vista” Baby!!

AnnCore

Staff
Processor AMD FX-8350 "Vishera"
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill DDR3 2133MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) CrossfireX Asus 5850
Storage Crucial C300 128GB
Display(s) Samsung SA950
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
I might just have said goodbye to Vista before even having said hello to it.

Like most new technologies, people ask themselves if they really need the latest cutting edge graphics card, motherboard, cpu, or in this case OS. Windows XP in all it's 32 bits is considered by many to be Microsoft's greatest OS ever, especially in terms of stability. I'm not saying it's perfect (there is always room for improvement), or that there aren't better or more stable OSes (Linux?) out there offered by other companies, but that XP compared to it's predecessors is incomparable.

So since it's late October 2001 release, most of us have been running our hardware wrapped in XP. If you had the latest in hardware at that time, then you probably had an ATI 8500 PRO or a GeForce3 TI 500. Your cpu was either an AMD Athlon XP processor 1900+, or a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Northwood sitting on a top notch slot A or 423 socket motherboard respectively. Things have sure come a long way since then - from 64 bit cpus to SLI and everything in between.

With Vista just around the corner, and things still moving extremely fast, what will you have for a desktop in 2006? What will you really need if Vista is to boot up the way you want it to? Dan Warne, from APC got some answers from a Microsoft strategist that are sure to interest us all.

I am going to sum up very briefly what the system requirements will be (for now):

- PCI x16 with lots of ram
- S-ATA 2 with NCQ
- 2 GB of DDR3
- Dual core cpu
- HDCP capable monitors

For me personally, I would have to shell out some "serious" cash to be Vista ready. I'm sure my actual setup will run Vista, just like an AMD k6-2 500MHz on an ASUS P5A with 500 MB of ram can run XP (my aunt's machine), but just not at "optimal". We will just have to wait to see if an "unoptimal" Vista is better than a fully optimal XP.

I encourage you to read the full article linked above and comments are more than welcome.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
mmm.. I think I had a ti4200 when xp came out.... :p

L

live in Vista, CA

Wow....

That's some serious drainage of wallet, just to be "Vista-Ready".... Hopefully the hardware will be more affordable by the time of Vista release...

U

Unregistered

Does that mean Vista is such a system hog that it needs that much power. Sounds like more MS junk

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Unregistered said:
Does that mean Vista is such a system hog that it needs that much power. Sounds like more MS junk

thats all m$ has to do these days :p