1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

haswell i5 better then lynnfield i7?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by overclocking101, Mar 3, 2014.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    I have a i7-875k would it be worth it performance wise to get a haswell i5? haswell i7 is out of my price range to far. I dont want to bother now if it will hinder my performance

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Honestly you have a k model cpu, get cooling and overclock it. Haswell is not worth the price hike over prev i7 setups especially when you have to get a new board and cpu cooling anyway and having to format your machine anyway. Seems like wasted time.

nimd4 and overclocking101 say thanks.
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    It will give you a performance increase, but it's not worth the cost. You would need to purchase the CPU and a new motherboard to support it. That i7-875k you have is still pretty good for everyday computing and most gaming. I would say that if you wait for the Haswell refresh or even until Broadwell comes out, then I'd say it would be a little more worth it. At least when that happens, Haswell will certainly have dropped in price. I'd say stick with what you have, most people would agree.

4. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    thats what I was thinking but most people are like "yeah dude go haswell or go home". I can easily get 4.5 out of my 875k more then that take serious effort.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  5. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/540/Intel_Core_i5_i5-4670K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-875K.html

Worth is something you assign to an object. For me going from an i7 920 to a 4770k was worth it.
    I wanted to make use of Quick Sync, lower power consumption, lower temps, higher performance, native SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0.

I believe most of those apply to you as well.
    But if you don't feel the NEED/WANT to upgrade...don't do it. You will be disappointed.

MT Alex says thanks.
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Id save on price. Probably be worth upgrading after haswell e hits and moving to that. But honestly that 875K still runs like a champ id leave it alone. 4.5 is the safest oc anyone has gotten out of any core i7 series.

7. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Depends on what you're using your PC for, but I would consider it worth it. Also worth considering--Haswell's line of "consumer" Xeon's. 4c/8t for the price of an i5. Granted you can't OC them but they perform great out of the box anyway while using less power and running a bit cooler.

8. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    with the 9 series board coming soon, best you just wait it out a bit more to satisfy that upgrade itch/urge. and lynnfield is probably on par with the 4670k, so it'll be a costly side upgrade at best.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Your should ask yourself: Does your PC do everything you need it to and are you satisfied with it?

If your answer is yes, I would let it be. Otherwise lets hear more about what you're not satisfied with. :)

erocker says thanks.
  10. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I would think overclocked to the bleeding edge that i7 would be on par with the i5, but stock the i5 is handily better, even in heavily threaded applications I reckon.

11. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    Intel plan to launch i7-4790K and i5-4690K in Q3...
    Maybe is better to OC your CPU and save money and buy something from them.
    Intel prepare and Haswell-E this year, it would be expensive but some 6 core version is excellent investment for people who don't want to change platform fast.
    Because bring DDR4 support and mainstream will adopt that later. Because of that he promise calm looking on other hardware and processor/motherboard to stay little longer period.

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    This guy sounds like he keeps machines around for awhile. The ahaswell-e would be a good choice for that.

13. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    i keep setups nowadys longer then i used to. about a year to 2 yrs. my 875k is about 1.5 yrs old. but i decided to wait a few months for system upgrade. bought a new corsair air 540 cube box. im normally a lian li man but this case won me right over

14. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i did go from a i7 920 to a Xeon E3-1275V2 (i7 3770K frequencies but no unlock) it was worth it ... or not ... didn't noticed a huge leap ... and i wouldn't notice it either if i did go 4770K
    lower temp with a haswell? over a Nehalem indeed over a IvyBridge, no

a good 2nd hand i7 IB or even a Xeon E3-V2 if not OC'ing + a good Q77/Z77 board would be cheaper than a Haswell cpu alone sometime, and not far from them in term of performances.

now if you want to laugh, look at my actual main rig specs ;) this is what i traded my previous setup for it, and : no, it perform same in daily use, ofc in games i notice less perf but nothing who would make me regret the switch
    plus i made mucho dineros selling the intel setup (all 2nd hand) at a overrated price and getting the new one for cheap (all new)

but a i7-875K is totally worth it i would still have my i7 920 if i didn't find some good 2nd hand deals (never had any problems with 2nd hand and warranty or whatever :D )

15. kniaugaudiskis

Thanks Received:
    i7 870 @ 4GHz here and still going strong, no plans on upgrading yet. Clock for clock wise, Haswell outguns Lynnfield by something like ~25% on average (I've also tested similarly clocked Lynnfield vs Haswell in various single-threaded C# applications we use at work and improvement was only 15%). When it comes to encoding/rendering tasks an old hyperthreaded i7 holds pretty well against a non hyperthreaded Haswell i5. For example in benchmarks like Cinebech R11.5 or R15 a @4ghz Lynnfield i7 beats a stock i5 4670K (@3.6GHz across all cores) by a slight margin.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  16. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    ^
    You can Oc that i5 too and yeah no doubt 8 thread will beat 4

My 4770K @ 4.7Ghz 1.284v matches ~ stock 4930K performance in Cinebench15 multi core (961cb), not bad considering 4930K has 4 extra threads and almost 1x bigger L3 cache..
    Single core is much faster, 4930k needs to be @ 5ghz to match it, single core perf. 188cb.

[​IMG]

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4960x-4930k-4820k_7.html

From what i saw there will a noticeable boost in cpu bound games ie older dual threaded Cod Waw or newer BF3, BF4, Crysis3, Crysis2 mp, Natural Selection2, Hitman Absolution, MaxPyne3 and especially in Serious Sam3, various online mmo, etc..
    http://ht4u.net/reviews/2013/intel_core_i7_4770_4670_haswell_cpus_test/index37.php

I saw it went from q9450@ 3.6ghz to 4770k. Even at stock, nvm at 4.5 - 4.7ghz. :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  17. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    Well I got the 4770k for only $250 new at Microcenter last month. Why would I want a socket they are no longer making processors for? If I want to utilize quick sync why would I buy the slower processor?

The 3770k is going for $250 at Microcenter atm.
    I only buy new PC parts anyway.

18. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded my old pc...(now my wife's passed on to my son). Went from a i7-860 to a i5-4570. there is a performance increase but my reasons were ...just felt like it. Went the mini itx route to keep cost down.....sorta.You can always sell off old parts to help offset the cost of new. Will prob upgrade myself to haswell e or broadwell when it comes out..... i keep findinding great cases on sale.....can't help but fill 'em

19. nimd4

nimd4

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, but where's the concrete *proof* that DD4 is going to happen - and when?.. Anyway the OP confused me with the question of upgrading - when the current motherboard won't support the new processor; then there's the question of RAM; && also the price-range on new mobo can be anywhere from $100 to $400 so there really isn't -much- choice @ all? :-0

Edit: I mean, the option to *upgrade* is, pretty much, non-existent; isn't it better to leave the old box - be - and consider purchasing a new computer..

Current system is just way, way, too old..:)

20. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    and a new Xeon E3-1275V2 is still 379chf where i am (3770K is 339) ... at 250$(if the conversion and taxes wouldn't f**k the price up :D ) i would still take a 3770 (K), Haswell is only 5-10% ok the igp is stronger but if i need a igp i take a Kaveri, less ipc but way cheaper. why would i take a CPU on a socket that will not be supported by the future gen and who produce more heat than the IB gen for 10% IPC perf more in the end the only strong side of Haswell is the IGP boost and not worth the price, imho (the 1150 has the same future as the 1155 on the next gen : no more cpu so why not go for a cheap 1155, 2nd hand or end of serie discount, than a 1150)

i paid 180chf for the Xeon 49chf for a DQ77MK board (resold it 270chf), the previous i7 920 was paid 199chf with a Rampage III Extreme(resold it 279 but with a little gift, for the buyer :D ) and the current Athlon X4 760K + FM2A88M Ex4+ + R9 270 has been paid 300chf altogether (new) basically for 79chf less than the Xeon price (if new) i have a cpu/mobo/gpu ofc it is AMD so many would say "tsk it is shit not worth even 1$"

but still all my games are playable and we compared side to side with a friend who has a i5 4670K and a GTX760 for 1-5% variance in real games there is a difference but hardly noticeable.
    ofc in benchmark like 3Dmarks or Unigine's one there is more difference but those means nothing when it come to real and actual games, exemple : Crysis 3, him: 65-67 fps me: 49-64 fps, in the same scene and situation ok it is more stable but again hardly noticeable.

for the OP if he has a 1156 board with SATA3 and USB3.0 native or not he can still hold that i7 till the next gen without noticing a huge drop compared to a Haswell, switching GPU on the other hand could provide a more significant boost

21. Enterprise24

Thanks Received:
    If you don't play cpu intensive game like shogun 2 or rome II then no reason to upgrade.
    Like other said i7-875K @ 4.0Ghz is still very strong.

22. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know Kaveri uses Quick Sync:rolleyes:. I wanted that feature that's only on Intel processors. Haswell 10 % more performance for less than 10% more heat. Over clocking Ivy bridge by 10% brings more than 10% increase in heat. Haswell isn't a Die shrink. It is faster than Ivybridge. Higher power usage a natural outcome of using a faster chip. It still runs cooler and uses less power than what I had before.
    Ivybridge gives the same performance increase over sandybridge but uses less power due to a die shrink.
    I can upgrade to a cooler running processor in a year. I have an upgrade path no mater how short it is. 1155 is done.

For ME it was worth the price. YOU can't devalue the processor for ME.

For the OP it might be worth the price. I am not saying he should, as I posted above:
    Worth is something you assign to an object. For ME going from an i7 920 to a 4770k was worth it.

From the sounds of it Ivybrige wasn't worth it for you.

23. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i was not talking about quicksync ... and a Kaveri using the IGP+CPU for encoding/computing is close to what intel has to offer ... ofc HSA is only at the beginning... i had intel setup i had AMD setup yet i think rationally : Haswell is a Die shrink with a stronger IGP and yes : haswell produce more heat than a IB (im not talking about TDP)

Quicksync is only a minor improvement and not generalized most of the owner never heard or used it

and i was not targeting YOU i was just adding a argument to your argument for the OP, in the current situation it would benefit more from a GPU upgrade than a CPU upgrade and keep the GPU for the next gen CPU (broadwell if Intel dont f**k everything up with going BGA only :roll: ) for instance : i highly doubt a R9 290 or a 780 would be out of the race in 2 more years, and would also cost less than a Haswell combo mobo/cpu

unless the games he play (if he play games ofc) run perfectly fine, as i am pretty sure a i7 875K and a GTX560 SC can take head on everything we actually have on 1080p, if it is upgrading for upgrading then it is better to wait the next gen, if it is upgrading because the user experience ingame is slow or unplayable then yes it is a good idea to upgrade, after that come the budget, and depending on that a IB setup could be better than a Haswell setup (unless he use Quicksync)

24. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    Both Haswell and Ivy are 22nm

25. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    yes but Haswell IGP take more place oh wait ... ahhh nevermind ;) so not a die shrink just a better IGP and more heat :D that clarify all about why many persons recommended me to go IB instead of Haswell

eidairaman1 says thanks.