• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD4850 Reviews Feedback

celebi

I enjoyed W1zzard's reviews very much but there is one thing which got me interested: The different coolers. As far as I can tell from photos, the MSI card is the only one using that different cooler.

My questions are:
1.) Does the MSI card operate quieter in load because of a more powerful cooler?
2.) Did you check temperatures with the same fan speed, e.g. in idle?
3.) Did you measure the noise levels before or after disassembling the cards for taking photos? People have experienced temperatures dropping 20 Kelvin only by using a different thermal grease.

Thank you very much!

Gam'ster

System Name Toshiba L350
Processor AMD QL-65
Motherboard Toshiba 780G/SB700
Cooling Laptop
Memory 3GB
Video Card(s) ATI HD3000
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 17" Widescreen
Case Black/Carbon effect
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Brick
Software WIN7
The cards are identical Ati reference design as far as im aware, just different stickers also by replacing the TIM temps will surely drop or just by an aftermaket cooler once one is available, Or again wait for HIS to release their HD4850 as they usually feature the IceQ3 cooler :)

Gam'ster

System Name Toshiba L350
Processor AMD QL-65
Motherboard Toshiba 780G/SB700
Cooling Laptop
Memory 3GB
Video Card(s) ATI HD3000
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 17" Widescreen
Case Black/Carbon effect
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Brick
Software WIN7
Awesome card. End. Of. Story.

Palit will probably make the card a 2 + 6 phase GPU, with more compact components :). Good for OC'ers. I'd expect them to use a quad heatpipe + fin cooler too.

The cards are identical Ati reference design as far as im aware, just different stickers also by replacing the TIM temps will surely drop or just by an aftermaket cooler once one is available, Or again wait for HIS to release their HD4850 as they usually feature the IceQ3 cooler :)

Ice Q III is barely better than the stock cooler, if it struggles to cool a HD3850 well... I don't really know if it would have to capacity to cool a card that runs as hot a 8800GT.

Last edited:

From_Nowhere

The 4850's currently released all appear to feature ATI's reference cooler. Some of them with stickers on them. With that said, they are not going to be running cool and quiet at the same time.

And the IceQ3 Rocks, keeps my 3850 under 60C full utilization even with it overclocked.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I enjoyed W1zzard's reviews very much but there is one thing which got me interested: The different coolers. As far as I can tell from photos, the MSI card is the only one using that different cooler.

My questions are:
1.) Does the MSI card operate quieter in load because of a more powerful cooler?
2.) Did you check temperatures with the same fan speed, e.g. in idle?
3.) Did you measure the noise levels before or after disassembling the cards for taking photos? People have experienced temperatures dropping 20 Kelvin only by using a different thermal grease.

Thank you very much!

1) there is a slight difference in the cooler, as i said in the review i dont know what exactly causes it to be a bit quieter
2) i put the card into the noise testing system and let them sit at the desktop until temps are stable.
3) i always measure before disassembling the card