1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD activity monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by imperialreign, Nov 5, 2007.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know of a good HDD activity monitor? Specifically, something that can monitor what processes are accessing/reading/writing to the HDD.

My father is looking for a utility program, and I just don't have the time to go rootin' up the i-net.
  2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    imperialreign says thanks.
  3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    displays a single, multi-colored bar graph at the top of the screen which shows MEM available, virtual MEM, CPU load, and a blinking red "light" that indicates HDD activity. Not much use for me, though.

yeah, I've had that one layin around on my rig, but haven't been able to get it to work on my fathers - he runs Vista, and it reports that it can't access the HDD because of some security issue or whatever. My father won't let me "adjust" the HDD security settings, so, buggar . . .
  5. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    gotta love that vista lol :banghead:
  6. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe try running as administrator.
  7. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, I finally figured that out last night. I honestly didn't figure I'd have to do so, seeing as how my father's user account on that rig is owner/administrator. Maybe it's something MS will fix in a further Vista update or the first service pack. I don't see a point in having to 'run as administrator' when you're logged in as such, y'know?

But, anyhow, I finally got his rig straightened out. He was wondering what was hitting the HDD's so hard during idle and low CPU usage. Turned out it was the DfrgNtfs.exe process that was doing the "behind the scenes" defrag. So I went into registry and turned it off - if it happens again, the file is getting renamed. :D