1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD raid cloning question

Discussion in 'Storage' started by ViZioN207, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ViZioN207

ViZioN207

Thanks Received:
    I've looked around the forum and havent found a post that can help solve my problem. I have four 2TB WD20EARS drives in raid0. One of them is starting to fail and I need to replace it asap. Newegg and other websites dont sell this version of the hard drive anymore. And the ones that do want way too much for them. The drive is still under warranty, but im pretty sure Western Digital wouldn't send the drive first for me to clone it to the new one.

So my question is, Will buying a different version like a WD20EARX and then cloning the drive make the raid0 configuration still work as if nothing changed.
  2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I can't say for sure, but I don't think it matters about the drives being the exact same as long as the general specs are the same (speed, density, cache). But I am by no means an expert.

I can say are you 100% right they will not be sending you shit first.
    ViZioN207 says thanks.
  3. corehazard New Member

Thanks Received:
    With RAID arrays you can't swap/replace drives without completely rebuilding your RAID array. I'm pretty sure all the drives in any RAID array need to be the exact same model though I maybe wrong.
    Though it would be pretty risky you could try resizing a partition that you keep your data on (assuming the drive you're cloning to is much smaller), and use Clonezilla to clone everything from the resized partition.

http://steadfast.net/blog/index.php/general/almost-everything-you-need-to-know-about-raid
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    ViZioN207 says thanks.
  4. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    I agree with thelaughingman, I believe he is right there. As long as the specs are the same it should be fine :toast: