1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

hdmi-schwarzwert ?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Live OR Die, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Just brought a new LED-LCD and found this it really makes blacks look black but what does it mean schwarzwert is it German :laugh:
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, schwarz means 'black' and wert means 'worth'.

So I guess... black worth? Worth black? :)

Probably it means that the black looks perfect.
    Live OR Die says thanks.
  3. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Thanks didn't know that haha why is samsung using German now .
  4. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Where did you buy the display from? Just asking because it doesn't seem like a display bought in Australia would have such an issue unless it was "gray market".
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. scooper22

scooper22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    May I add a note here? ;)

"Schwarzwert" does not mean how much your black is worth, rofl. It means what luminescence the darkest color (black) still has. It defines how dark the display can go. The opposite is "Weißwert", so how bright the display can go (white). The difference between these two is your contrast ratio. The lower the Schwarzwert the better, the higher the Weißwert the better.
    Live OR Die and Black Panther say thanks.
  6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I translated it literally thinking it was a 'motto' for the new TV :D

Thanks for the clarification!
  7. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Yer the Weißwert is bright as now, and i brought the screen in perth and just found out i could change the language HAHA, now says black level :D
  8. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Was the writing on the box in English? Not trying to make life difficult for you, but Samsung product sold by an authorized dealer in Australia shouldn't be set to German out of the box. If you bought this monitor from a small "mom and pop" store, they might not have sold you a product designed to be sold in your country. Small "mom and pop" stores are occasionally not authorized dealers and have to resort to buying "gray market" product so they have something to sell. "Gray market" product is stuff that the manufacturer didn't intend to have sold in that market and they respond to that type of behavior by not honoring the warranty if you have a problem. Just want to make sure you didn't buy something that doesn't have a warranty, unless you knew that was the case when you bought it. Again, don't know for sure that is what happened, but puzzling that Australia product defaulting to German.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    No its a AU produced box is in English also has a sticker from Samsung in Sydney.
  10. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    My apologies again, I didn't realize you were writing about something found in the monitor's menu. I assumed it was a trading motto in German (like for example Asus - rock solid heart touching) :eek: