• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Headphone Amps in Receivers Any Good?

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
I just started using my receivers as headphone amps and I'm wondering if anybody has any clue whether receivers are considered good headphone amps. I currently am listening to the Quake 2 classic video game soundtrack (Rob Zombie did the music in a band called Sonic Mayhem) with my Creative MK II headphones and I swear the output on the Pioneer VSX 1016 headphone output sounds so much more powerful than the output on the Creative X-Fi Fatality sound card and there is no interference. (Front connection buzzes from the PC) I turned off all enhancements such as X-Fi Crystalizer and CMSS because I swear the headphones sounded like they were going to explode. I forgot I ripped the soundtrack to Windows Media Player. I haven't heard that distinctive soundtrack in a long time. FYI, if you buy the game from Steam there is no soundtrack. There is no music at all.

I had so much older gear around I wound up using my old surround receivers as powerful stereo amps for 2 channel sound for PCs. Now I'm looking to save on the electric bill by using headphones.(It also lets me beef up the PC with more power so I don't have to worry about audio power consumption) It is also great to be able to listen to loud music at the wee hours of the morning. Does anybody else do this? :)