1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! Are these temps highs?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by farid, May 29, 2009.

1. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heya all! My dad just bought a new PC, his build is:
    CPU: Q6600 G0
    MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    RAM: Corsair Dominators PC8500@1066 MHz (2x2GB)
    Cooler: Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

I wanted to OC, then I started RealTemp before OCing it to take a look at the temps, so I though that those temps were quite high, and decided to run OCCT to take a look at the temps when the CPU its@100%, so far, these are the results after 5 mins of running OCCT:

[​IMG]

I think that those temps are quite high for the CPU, but I would like to be sure about that.

If those temps are high, what could be the problem? I mean, the case has a good airflow, and I did a good cable management while installing the PC, I could attach a pic later if you guys want me to.

Also the PC takes a lot of time to start and to shut down the system, is that problem related to the temps?

Thx a lot for ur help guys :D
  2. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Yes, their very high.

Make sure you seated the Heatsink properly. It may be loose, or not enough TIM.
    farid says thanks.
  3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    On stock speeds its at minimum 30c too high. Like MoonPig said, check that Freezer for proper mounting.
    farid says thanks.
  4. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    eh i'm definitely thinking bad seating with the heatsink. It's kinda hard to not apply enough TIM, most apply more than needed. i too have a q6600 and the Freezer Pro 7, oc'd to 3ghz@ 1.24v(1.22v load) with 36 idle/54 load. Just pop the side of your case off and try to move your heatsink a lil, it should feel very solid, but u may have only gotten 3 pins completely secured, last one's always a bitch.
    farid says thanks.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    According to your screenshot of RealTemp core 0 got too hot. That's why it says "LOG" instead of "Ok". Don't worry about damage or anything, they can take it. Like others have said, reseat your CPU cooler.
    farid says thanks.
  6. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, im gonna try to do that right now, thx a lot! Ill update soon! :D
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yikes, yea, the max for core 0 says 100c.

You definitely need to do something!
    farid says thanks.
  8. Naekuh

Naekuh New Member

Thanks Received:
    your fan must be dead.

your idling in 70's on stock is not a good thing.

OR you didnt get the pushpins in correctly.

Or your used brasso on your base of your freezer, and added a coat so your not getting good thermal transfer.
  9. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I don`t think that that is on idle. It think he is saying that is just 5 min to OCCT.
    He just stoped OCCT and took the screenshoot .
    farid says thanks.
  10. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I removed the Cooler, cleaned the thermal paste, added thermal paste again, now running RealTemp with OCCT its throwing me this numbers, what about now?

[​IMG]

I think theyre still quite high
  11. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats right, that was AFTER i stopped the OCCT, right now the image above shows the temps on OCCT running, I think that theyre still quite high :S
  12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    that looks better, remember you only need a rice kernel of thermal paste and it's a Arctic Freezer 7 Pro on a Quad and hes living in Venezuela. not a Xigmatek or Thermalright :p
  13. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm :confused: isn't a good cooler for a Quad?
  14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it's alright.. I used it on my E2180 but there is better.
  15. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    And which cooler do u guys recommend me to use on a Q6600???
  16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Freezer 7 pro's are meant more for dual-cores. Q6600's are rather "warm" chips to begin with. How did you apply the thermal paste?
    farid says thanks.
  17. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just put the paste in the middle of the contact of the cooler, and with a plastic glove covered all the area of the copper contact, I think that I did it as it should be done, cuz I did the same to my PC cooler and its working great.
  18. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Well, i thk what u said was u put some on the cooler and then spread it evenly on the base. I've always followed Arctic Silver's directions for applying AS5 to quads, which is put a line across the chip. like this
    [​IMG]

though i used even less paste than what is applied there probly 1-1.5cm shorter a line, and well look at my temps :). As for your temps, they are somewhat high, but i'd assume in Venezuela the ambient temp is higher than here in north eastern USA. But they are fine, q6600 is spec'd to run up to 71.2celcius, and up to 1.5v pumped into it before the warranty is voided.

How warm is the room your PC is in? and what case do you have?

and for a CPU cooler around the same price as the Freezer Pro 7, you should have gone with the Xigmatek S-964 HDT and the mounting bracket, which together is ~$32.
    farid says thanks.
  19. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow thx for the info! Right now the temp in our country is near to 36 Centigrade. And my dad's case is an Midtower Apevia Xcruiser. I would like to OC that CPU, but with those temps I dont think that can reach more than 3.0 GHz.
  20. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    you'll still notice a difference at 3ghz, i do. when i got my q6600 i wanted to reach at least 3.2ghz 24/7, wanted 3.6ghz but yea got the freezer pro 7 cause i didn't know what was a good cooler then and just went with "best rating" on newegg. but with my 680i LT, voltage required for 3.2ghz is 1.34v, from 1.24v 3ghz so not worth it for me. But from 2.4ghz to 3ghz, my system boots up faster, my games get slightly better FPS(GPU limited), and my start-up apps a load much faster, as well as general systme response being better.

try to keep your voltage at stock, and just increase the FSB and see how high u can oc on stock volts, temps shouldn't increase much.
  21. unclewebb

unclewebb RealTemp Author

Thanks Received:
    OCCT puts a pretty big load on your cores. Most software you run won't put a load like this on it so you probably won't have to worry too much about temps when you're actually using it and not just benching and testing.

Pray for some cooler weather. 36C sounds like brutal overclocking weather. :)

Here's the latest version of RealTemp with a few minor improvements:
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

In your first screen shot, RealTemp shows that Thermal Throttling was logged (LOG) on Core 0. That's not a good thing because it will slow down all cores when this happens to automatically cool off your CPU. Keep the Thermal Status area full of the word OK and as long as your computer is stable, you don't need to worry too much about core temperatures. I've run Prime Small FFTs stable before at over 95C for hours without any problems. It thanked me when I finally turned the CPU fan back on. :D
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  22. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Crazy basterd lol i'd never run my q6600 over 80 celcius for an extended period :p.

and farid, unclewebb is the man, and his software program realtemp is the shit :). Though i still wouldn't like those idle temps at stock. They are fine, i just don't like em lol. AS5 does have a set in time thing, which i didn't believe it at first but when i reaplied my TIM for the first time in a year(my idle was like 58 :D) the temps went from 39-40 idle, to 36-38 now after some time to let the AS5 set in.